PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Favre: Packers' $20M offer to stay retired may be best

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be willing to not play for 10% of that offer.

Is this even possible?
First wouldnt it be cheaper (for one year) or better (for 2 years) to have Favre as a backup than dish out 20 million?
It would probably be cheaper, but the Packers don't want him there because of the media circus and distraction.

And how could this not be a cap violation if the Packers give Favre this money? Is this any different than saying to a player "we'll give you 5 million to play this year; then we'll pay you 5 million to retire" instead of a 10 mil salary?
Yes, it is very different, at least to me, but I'm not a capologist and I haven't slept in a Holiday Inn Express in a long time.

However, as I see it, in your scenario, you have just retained the services of a player, and money paid him must be part of the cap. If the second five mil is tied to the playing agreement, then it belongs under the cap.

The Packers, are not signing a player. They are hiring a former player, now retired, as part of their staff. Since Favre is not gong to play he therefore is not a player. His money does not fall under the cap. Just like Andre Tippet's salary is not part of the Pats cap.

Last edited:
Is this even possible?
First wouldnt it be cheaper (for one year) or better (for 2 years) to have Favre as a backup than dish out 20 million?

And how could this not be a cap violation if the Packers give Favre this money? Is this any different than saying to a player "we'll give you 5 million to play this year; then we'll pay you 5 million to retire" instead of a 10 mil salary?

I think you need to separate the cash from the cap hit. They are most likely far more worried about the latter, and rightfully so, IMO.

Favre isn't "extorting" anyone. He wants to play. I doubt he anticipated just how far the Packers were willing to go to keep him from playing. If you wanted to do something badly, but I offered you 20$ mill not to, don't pretend you wouldn't have a tough decision on your hands.

The Packers, through no fault of their own, didn't want another offseason of long drawn out uncertainty, so they pressured him to make a decision quickly after the season ended. He was sore, tired, and coming off of a tough loss, so he did what his gut told him to and retired. As he rested and thought about it some more he realized he wanted to play again, as do most football players, especially when they are still playing at a high level. Now the Packers are trying their hardest to keep him from doing what he wants to do, and the incentive they've laid out would be incredibly tough for anyone to turn down. It's as simple as that. It's not as if he told Green Bay, "give me 20 mill or I'm coming back."

I think you need to separate the cash from the cap hit. They are most likely far more worried about the latter, and rightfully so, IMO.

No, they actually have plenty of both this season. What they are far more worried about is dip**** torpedoing his legend because it is part of the Packers legend - and worth ten times that $20M to the organization over the long haul provided he doesn't thoroughly devalue it.

He is such an attention whore and a fraud. So what this was all about all along was bruised ego. They moved on, he hatched a plan to seek revenge by playing for an arch rival. This was never about love of the game, or even money though he may take it and run if he can't get to play for the team he tried to tamper his way onto.

This was never about making a mistake or getting an itch. It was just about getting even. This was about how dare you move on...

Hey, been there done that - although rather than ruin everyone else's life I took valium for a few days and then I got over it and got on with my life!

Favre isn't "extorting" anyone. He wants to play. I doubt he anticipated just how far the Packers were willing to go to keep him from playing. If you wanted to do something badly, but I offered you 20$ mill not to, don't pretend you wouldn't have a tough decision on your hands.

The Packers, through no fault of their own, didn't want another offseason of long drawn out uncertainty, so they pressured him to make a decision quickly after the season ended. He was sore, tired, and coming off of a tough loss, so he did what his gut told him to and retired. As he rested and thought about it some more he realized he wanted to play again, as do most football players, especially when they are still playing at a high level. Now the Packers are trying their hardest to keep him from doing what he wants to do, and the incentive they've laid out would be incredibly tough for anyone to turn down. It's as simple as that. It's not as if he told Green Bay, "give me 20 mill or I'm coming back."

Only they never pressured him. In fact to the contrary they told him to take his time and even offered to dumb down the offense again and let him skip the film work... But he said nope, I'm DONE. Because for the first time in his life he experienced what it's all supposed to be about - preparation and attention to detail and team game plans, as opposed to just slingin' it, and he admitted that he couldn't do that - never was his game. Ergo in his own fairly eloquent assesment he could still play but he didn't want to. Could not commit to what it realistically entailed to be a QB and leader on a playoff team.

No, they actually have plenty of both this season. What they are far more worried about is dip**** torpedoing his legend because it is part of the Packers legend - and worth ten times that $20M to the organization over the long haul provided he doesn't thoroughly devalue it.

He is such an attention whore and a fraud. So what this was all about all along was bruised ego. They moved on, he hatched a plan to seek revenge by playing for an arch rival. This was never about love of the game, or even money though he may take it and run if he can't get to play for the team he tried to tamper his way onto.

This was never about making a mistake or getting an itch. It was just about getting even. This was about how dare you move on...

Hey, been there done that - although rather than ruin everyone else's life I took valium for a few days and then I got over it and got on with my life!

Right on. Hey, we all go through tough times; we don't all decide to drag everyone down with us, like this mofo is doing.

I've never really liked the guy, but now I consider him a total POS. I hope his long-term reputation suffers appropriately from this.

If you wanted to do something badly, but I offered you 20$ mill not to, don't pretend you wouldn't have a tough decision on your hands.

If I made as much money as Brett Favre then you can ask me this question and get a relevant answer.

All he has to do is tell Goddell to reinstate him and he gets to play AND he gets 13 million this year and 13 more next. Even if he gets cut or traded and has to rework his deal there is no doubt he makes the 20 million on the field over the next 2 years. This is not an either or situation. He can do what he claimes he wants to do (play) and get the cash, even get more cash.

AJ Hawk was asked if he would not play for the 20m and said no way and he has not made anywhere close to what Favre has in his career.

If he takes the $ not to play it is definitely nothing more than extortion.

Last edited:
All he has to do is tell Goddell to reinstate him and he gets to play AND he gets 13 million this year and 13 more next.

According to this article Favre has asked for reinstatement:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-packers-favre&prov=ap&type=lgns
Meanwhile, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell sat on Favre’s reinstatement letter for the fourth straight day, giving the two sides more time to resolve the situation.

Also makes you wonder what business Goodell has in treating the Favre situation any different from any other out-of-retirement player? So Goodell is going to not allow Favre to report to camp until a deal to trade him, or pay him gets made?

According to this article Favre has asked for reinstatement:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-packers-favre&prov=ap&type=lgns

Also makes you wonder what business Goodell has in treating the Favre situation any different from any other out-of-retirement player? So Goodell is going to not allow Favre to report to camp until a deal to trade him, or pay him gets made?

Goddell is acting with Favre's approval. Favre sent it the letter but is OK with Goddell not acting on it at this time while he negotiates his payoff. That is why this currently looks like extortion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back