Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinatony

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I like Moss but not Samardzija,

y-New England (from Seattle)
Projected pick: +Jarvis Moss, DE/OLB, Florida
Moss is an undersized pass-rushing end who would fit well as an outside linebacker in the Patriots' 3-4 defensive scheme. Plus, Bill Belichick obviously has a thing for Gators players.

y-New England (12-4)
Projected pick: Jeff Samardzija, WR, Notre Dame
Samardzija could easily slip out of the first round due to his desire to play both baseball (Cubs) and football professionally. The Patriots should be "in the know" thanks to their old buddy Charlie Weis.

I like Moss but not Samardzija,

Moss is an undersized pass-rushing end who would fit well as an outside linebacker in the Patriots' 3-4 defensive scheme. Plus, Bill Belichick obviously has a thing for Gators players.

y-New England (12-4)
Samardzija could easily slip out of the first round due to his desire to play both baseball (Cubs) and football professionally. The Patriots should be "in the know" thanks to their old buddy Charlie Weis.
i guranteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee that if Shark wasnt wit Weis..that people would give him to us every mock draft

i love the Moss pick however

I dislike the Moss pick. I don't think that being from Florida is a good reason for the Patriots taking a player. I also don't think that Moss will even go in the first two rounds.

In addition, if Tully keeps his play up, then I would be skeptical about us taking a linebacker on day 1.

If Samardzija decides that he wants to play football, and we don't sign a WR in FA (read: Drew Bennett), then I can deal with him with our #2 first-rounder.

i like samardziga but i really dont think hes worth our first round picks, i think theres a few better ones...every mock draft says the same thing "his draft stock could go down because of baseball" - doesnt seem like a guy BB would draft, he likes players that put football before anything else.

love moss though i wouldnt mind that pick although i think we should go LB or CB/S

I dislike the Moss pick. I don't think that being from Florida is a good reason for the Patriots taking a player. I also don't think that Moss will even go in the first two rounds.

In addition, if Tully keeps his play up, then I would be skeptical about us taking a linebacker on day 1.

If Samardzija decides that he wants to play football, and we don't sign a WR in FA (read: Drew Bennett), then I can deal with him with our #2 first-rounder.
its not about him being from Florida from my stand point. Moss will go in top 2 rounds if he runs great like expected (4.6 or under)

Bennett is being overrated by you..Titan fans dont even wanna resign him really..maybe as #2 but hes not a good enough #1 WR on a team. Fans say he doesnt use his height properly,doesnt get physical and drops a lot of balls(at least this year)

if we sign a WR..i would rather have more than a possesion guy..we have plenty of those.

its not about him being from Florida from my stand point. Moss will go in top 2 rounds if he runs great like expected (4.6 or under)

Bennett is being overrated by you..Titan fans dont even wanna resign him really..maybe as #2 but hes not a good enough #1 WR on a team. Fans say he doesnt use his height properly,doesnt get physical and drops a lot of balls(at least this year)

if we sign a WR..i would rather have more than a possesion guy..we have plenty of those.

I don't know. I don't trust that I didn't hear about Moss during the regular season. I don't think that physical skills say it all. And I certainly don't believe that a player being an "elephant" should launch them into the first two rounds.

Drew Bennett is still coming into his prime. He has not had a good passing relationship with Vince Young thusfar and should be on the market. However, I believe that Bennett could be of great value to us. Not using height, not getting physical and dropping balls could be a result of coaching or having a tough time adjusting to a new quarterback. However, I think that in our offense, which spreads the ball around and doesn't have a true #1 receiver, Bennett could be a definite asset at the right price.

As non-possession guys, there really aren't any on the market this year. If Chad Jackson comes into his own, we will have a deep burner type to pair with our possession guys. If we had Jackson, Bennett, Caldwell, Gaffney, and Brown, I would be more than satisfied with our wide receiver situation. There are plenty of guys there that we can spread out the ball to, along with Watson, Thomas and likely Graham, not to mention the running backs. We don't need a bona fide #1 wide receiver for our offense to function. Even if we had one, I doubt we would notice the difference.

I don't know. I don't trust that I didn't hear about Moss during the regular season. I don't think that physical skills say it all. And I certainly don't believe that a player being an "elephant" should launch them into the first two rounds.

Drew Bennett is still coming into his prime. He has not had a good passing relationship with Vince Young thusfar and should be on the market. However, I believe that Bennett could be of great value to us. Not using height, not getting physical and dropping balls could be a result of coaching or having a tough time adjusting to a new quarterback. However, I think that in our offense, which spreads the ball around and doesn't have a true #1 receiver, Bennett could be a definite asset at the right price.

As non-possession guys, there really aren't any on the market this year. If Chad Jackson comes into his own, we will have a deep burner type to pair with our possession guys. If we had Jackson, Bennett, Caldwell, Gaffney, and Brown, I would be more than satisfied with our wide receiver situation. There are plenty of guys there that we can spread out the ball to, along with Watson, Thomas and likely Graham, not to mention the running backs. We don't need a bona fide #1 wide receiver for our offense to function. Even if we had one, I doubt we would notice the difference.

Moss wasnt being talked about b/c not many people thought he would come out. and hes only been a starter for a year? He played a lot last year but as a pass rusher. he needs to polish up on run stopping but as a pass rusher hes great

Jarvis Moss made pro-football weekly's all-america team this year at DE. He was known all year by scouts. He came out of high school as the #1 defensive player in the state of Texas. He received major pub by blocking an Xtra point and FG in the 4th quarter in Florida's 17-16 win over Spurrier this year. The potential problem with Moss is he has a big-time attitude. He's ultra confident, ultra-****y... he's alot like McGinest. He was suspended for a game, possibly for marijuana use. He knows he's the most talented player, physically, every time he steps on the field and he acts like it. If the Pats decide he's their kind of guy, he will become an all-pro. if the Pats pass on him, it tells us his commitment/attitude is suspect. But as far as raw ability, he's as talented as any defensive player in this draft. If he would have stayed his senior year and racked up the usual 12 sacks, he'd have gone in the top 10 in 2008 without question.

As far as the outcome of the Florida-OSU game, before the game we had a thread about "Who we will be watching" on both teams with an eye toward the draft. The premier talent, outside of Ted Ginn jr, in the game was on Florida's side. In retrospect the outcome wasn't strange at all. Jarvis Moss, Siler, McDonald, Harvey, Nelson. These are all potential 1st rd picks. Troy Smith was playing a virtual NFL defense.

Last edited:
Moss wasnt being talked about b/c not many people thought he would come out. and hes only been a starter for a year? He played a lot last year but as a pass rusher. he needs to polish up on run stopping but as a pass rusher hes great

After doing some research, I amend my previous statement. If he fell to us in the second, Moss would likely be on my list of players to select, if only because we have two first-round picks that we can use to help at positions where we need immediate impact. I might even consider trading up to get Moss. However, I don't want to waste a first-round pick on a project that might amount to nothing.

If Moss runs as expected, I think he'll definitely go in the top 20 or higher. You could see a Demarcus Ware, Kamerion Wimbley like rise. None of the premier passrushers in this draft can run like him, with his size and length. He's like Simeon Rice...

Last edited:

y-New England (12-4)

Those picks are too easy. Both from programs BB has links with. There's no way we're taking Samardzija anyway. Pioli has said before that he doesn't like taking guys who aren't 100% committed to football.

Those picks are too easy. Both from programs BB has links with. There's no way we're taking Samardzija anyway. Pioli has said before that he doesn't like taking guys who aren't 100% committed to football.

Thank you...took the words right outta my mouth..plus honestly think he and brady quinn could be the most overrated qb/wr combo in the country...

also, does moss project as an OLB? or will he play DE in the NFL...
i would rather get an ILB and move vrabel outside personally...

Yeah, I agree. I think these are pretty lazy picks.

Only one thing is constant among BB's first round picks: he selects players with game breaking talent. Mankins, Watson, Wilfork, Graham, Seymour, Moroney, Warren... these are all rare, special players at their position.

I dont hold either Smardzija or Moss at that level of talent. Both will be good tier-2 pros, but will never vie for the pro-bowl. I think being too focused on need and personal connection is a short cut for making good picks.

I've given up trying to anticipate who BB/SP will actually pick, but I would be utterly shocked is Moss is on their radar in the first round, if only for the off-field questionmarks.

And anyone that seriously considers a baseball career doesn't really have the commitment needed to make it work in the NFL-- when things start getting tough, instead of fighting through it, he'll look for the exits, and sign with his MLB minor league team. I think of Drew Henson.

I like the Bazuin, Woodley, Leonard, Posluszny type of players. These are true football players, who would play football even if it cost them their health, their marriage, their careers in television and radio... they would give their all just to play the game. That is what best defines a Pats type of prospect. They bleed football first and last.

Yeah, I agree. I think these are pretty lazy picks.

Only one thing is constant among BB's first round picks: he selects players with game breaking talent. Mankins, Watson, Wilfork, Graham, Seymour, Moroney, Warren... these are all rare, special players at their position.

I dont hold either Smardzija or Moss at that level of talent. Both will be good tier-2 pros, but will never vie for the pro-bowl. I think being too focused on need and personal connection is a short cut for making good picks.

I've given up trying to anticipate who BB/SP will actually pick, but I would be utterly shocked is Moss is on their radar in the first round, if only for the off-field questionmarks.

And anyone that seriously considers a baseball career doesn't really have the commitment needed to make it work in the NFL-- when things start getting tough, instead of fighting through it, he'll look for the exits, and sign with his MLB minor league team. I think of Drew Henson.

I like the Bazuin, Woodley, Leonard, Posluszny type of players. These are true football players, who would play football even if it cost them their health, their marriage, their careers in television and radio... they would give their all just to play the game. That is what best defines a Pats type of prospect. They bleed football first and last.

Moss, while possibly a head case and not the high character player BB usually covets, definitely has pro-bowl upside. He is an athletic freak. I agree completely on Simardzija.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore