Charlie weiss a traitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
From reiss

Weis connections
The Patriots aren't the only NFL team with strong connections to Notre Dame.

The influence of Notre Dame head coach Charlie Weis (the Patriots' former offensive coordinator) seemed to be a factor in New England drafting offensive lineman Dan Stevenson (6th round) and signing rookie free agents Corey Mays (linebacker) and Matt Shelton (wide receiver). All three players played at Notre Dame.

But on Wednesday, Weis showed his NFL network expands beyond Gillette Stadium when he was a guest at the Carolina Panthers' minicamp.

"This is an ideal situation," Weis told the Charlotte Observer. "A lot of things we do and a lot of things they do are the same. ... It's a good marriage where we can try to solve some problems and share some information without passing it on to (another) NFL team or college team."

Last edited by a moderator:
He needs to get his guys into the NFL.

He is surely talking to BB, but that doesn'tmean he isn't also speaking to other teams. He ought to be talking with all 32 teams, or he is doing his players a disservice.

What he CAN do with BB is understand exactly what type of player would fit the Pats.

Weis is a longtime friend of John Fox. He may well have gone there when his contract expired as they'd likely pay him more money.

He also has strong ties with Dallas. I was listening to Charlie on Sirrius the other day, he wants strong connections with all teams and watchs the nfl games on satelite to help his abilty to get his players to the NFL. That is how he can recruit more players for his program. He freely admits this as well as the fact that he likes to make recruitment calls during patriots game so he can talk up that connection. He still roots for the Pats, but his job is to do the best for Notre Dame and its players.

14thDragon said:
He also has strong ties with Dallas. I was listening to Charlie on Sirrius the other day, he wants strong connections with all teams and watchs the nfl games on satelite to help his abilty to get his players to the NFL. That is how he can recruit more players for his program. He freely admits this as well as the fact that he likes to make recruitment calls during patriots game so he can talk up that connection. He still roots for the Pats, but his job is to do the best for Notre Dame and its players.

I don't know that he and Parcells are actually on speaking terms, but Parcells did draft Fasano and said that ND runs the same exact offense as the Cowboys. So obviously it makes those guys easier to evaluate.

The perception of Weis having good relations with ALL NFL teams - not just the Patriots = better recruiting for Notre Dame.

Better recruiting for Notre Dame = better players for Notre Dame.

Better players for Notre Dame = better players for us.

This is bad why?

Traitor seems like a strong word. I'm sure Weiss knows other people in the NFL besides BB (though BB would like to be his only friend I'm sure :D).

Carolina didn't draft or sign any ND free agents so the topic of this story is somewhat off base. All he did was talk football with other football enthusiasts and it just so happen to be at Carolina

It's too small a world to burn any bridges so Charlie's going to be friendly with everybody. You never know when you may be working with them again.

However, we all know that Charlie's heart belongs to Brady (Tommy, that is) so he won't be giving away any Patriots secrets.

I think he has a house in North Carolina

And maybe he's lining himself up for the Panthers job in a few years.

p8ryts said:
And maybe he's lining himself up for the Panthers job in a few years.

If that's the case, then I want the Pats to sign John Fox when BB retires. He's a GREAT HC

R_T26 said:
From reiss

Weis connections
The Patriots aren't the only NFL team with strong connections to Notre Dame.

The influence of Notre Dame head coach Charlie Weis (the Patriots' former offensive coordinator) seemed to be a factor in New England drafting offensive lineman Dan Stevenson (6th round) and signing rookie free agents Corey Mays (linebacker) and Matt Shelton (wide receiver). All three players played at Notre Dame.

But on Wednesday, Weis showed his NFL network expands beyond Gillette Stadium when he was a guest at the Carolina Panthers' minicamp.

"This is an ideal situation," Weis told the Charlotte Observer. "A lot of things we do and a lot of things they do are the same. ... It's a good marriage where we can try to solve some problems and share some information without passing it on to (another) NFL team or college team."
When your friends have other friends do you call them a "traitor"? If so you probably don't have many friends.

Last edited:
Weis is doing his job. In this case, building up his network of NFL coaches, as JoeSixPat rightly pointed out.

Last time I checked, Weis wasn't contractually tied to New England.

To call Weis a traitor for simply doing his job is nothing more than myopic arrogance.

PromisedLand said:
When your friends have other friends do you call them a "traitor"? If so you probably don't have many friends.

Hehehe...

(almost 10 characters)

Brady-To-Branch said:
Last time I checked, Weis wasn't contractually tied to New England.

To call Weis a traitor for simply doing his job is nothing more than myopic arrogance.

...and are we expecting Weis is somehow going to arrange for his entire team to be drafted by NE? He's probably got the #1 pick on his team right now - a QB named Brady... but I'm thinking we probably take a pass on him.

Losing Weis, Crennel, and Mangini, heck, even Ryan for that matter, is the price of winning 3 SBs in the last 5 years.

NEM said:
Damn, does that mean we lose Kraft after this season????? :)

Phil Savage better hope he doesn't land with the Cleveland Browns

Last edited:
"Less Cursing"

Loved Troy Brown's response last year to how practises are different without Charlie Weis around. Troy said that there was a lot "less cursing" from the coaches. LOL

Charlier Weis' #1 and only priority is acting in the best interested of the University of Notre Dame football club. He has no obligation to the New England Patriots above and beyond any other NFL team. And, I daresay, his ability to unemotionally deal with other teams is positively Belichickian.

i miss his crazy-a** playcalling too

Boston Tim said:
I miss Charlie.
he's in a high-pressure situation at ND. those priests will turn on you after a bad season.
a veteran nfl OC probably knows half the league's HCs pretty well. just like we all know our competitors pretty well.
every pro team has had more-than-ordinary interest in ND players for decades. it's the mystique, but ya also know ND recruits blue-chip HS players. they may have ridden the bench at ND, but in any event there's some talent therre.

altho weis, as patriot OC, could put together some real stupid play sequences, in most cases i had NO idea what play was gonna be called next. it was the same with ND this year. i definitely miss that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News