PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Casale 7/31/07 AM notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.patriots.com/search/index.cfm?ac=searchdetail&pid=26558&pcid=44&special_section=tc2007

7/31/07
Tuesday morning camp notes
Tom Casale, Patriots Football Weekly

The Patriots were back at it on Tuesday but after a tough practice yesterday, a lot of the big name players took it easy this morning.

Who’s hot: Matt Cassel – For the most part, Cassel hasn’t had a tremendous camp. He continues to hold on the football too long and doesn’t make quick decisions in the pocket. Although – getting the majority of reps with Brady taking it easy – Cassel had his best day of practice by far. Playing with a lot of first-string personnel, Cassel made quicker decisions and really fired the ball into tight spots. He just has to continue to work on going through his reads quicker or Cassel will be taking a lot of sacks if he is forced into game action.

Who’s not: Nick Kaczur – With Ryan O’Callaghan getting a lot of reps at right tackle, Kaczur is beginning to lose his grip on the starting job. This will be an interesting battle all summer but right now the early advantage has to go to O’Callaghan, which isn’t good news for the incumbent Kaczur.

Play of practice: In was a light practice that emphasized a lot of running drills, so there wasn’t much to chose from at the morning session. The most exciting thing that happened is when Laurence Maroney fumbled and Logan Mankins picked up the ball and started rumbling down the field with it. After scoring a touchdown in the AFC Championship, Mankins looks as if he’s trying to score every time he touches the ball now.

Camp Notes
Junior Seau
lined up next to Adalius Thomas at inside linebacker for most of the drills. Tedy Bruschi was at practice but didn't participate much…Fans of the AFC North invaded practice on Tuesday. One fan was sitting on the hill wearing a Chad Johnson jersey, while another fan was walking the premise donning a Steelers Troy Polamalu jersey…The team stretched to some current and old school R&B tunes. It’s not known which player chose the music but Rosevelt Colvin was on the field bobbing his head up and down to the beat…After catching a pass in the end zone, Kelley Washington leaped up and finger rolled the football over the crossbar of the goal post…Heath Evans took a lot of carries during goal line drills, with Sammy Morris split out as a receiver…Matt Gutierrez looked sharp in drills, zipping passes on the money to his receivers…Laurence Maroney is really accelerating through the hole and is showing no signs from his offseason shoulder surgery…Ryan O’Callaghan continues to work at right tackle next to Stephen Neal, with Nick Kaczur coming in to replace O’Callaghan…Jarvis Green is manning Richard Seymour’s defensive end spot while the Pro Bowler remains on PUP…The team worked on kickoffs with Bam Childress and C.J. Jones back as return men…Eric Alexander took advantage of some down time to run sprints by himself in the back of the end zone.

This was the best part IMHO:

…Laurence Maroney is really accelerating through the hole and is showing no signs from his offseason shoulder surgery

Since RB is one of the only concerns I have this season.

…Laurence Maroney is really accelerating through the hole and is showing no signs from his offseason shoulder surgery

Very good news indeed!

Yeah, it does sound good,but I think he was still wearing the RED no contact jersey? Casale doesn't say.

Last edited:
Yeah, it does sound good,but I think he was still wearing the RED no contact jersey? Casale doesn't say.

He was, as was Seau and Alexander.

More Casale on Maroney:

While he’s still wearing the red non-contact jersey, Laurence Maroney looks ready to go to me. He’s in good spirits - always joking with teammates - looks to have added some muscle this offseason and is showing a strong burst on the field. I have to believe that the team is holding him out as a precaution at this point. But it’s just a guess on my part because I’m not a doctor.

http://officialnewenglandpatriots.wordpress.com/

They're going to have to add some kind of Fumblerooski play for Mankins.

Tom, any evidence of "zone blocking" by the O-line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe