PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breer's Tale of the Tape: Patriots/Cowboys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Breer has his Tale of the Tape up--best analysis will probably get this year of a Patriots game.

http://cowboys.beloblog.com/archives/2007/10/tale_of_the_tape_1.html#more

Tale of the Tape
Time to close the book on the Patriots game. Here's some things caught on tape:

 In my opinion, the way for the Cowboys defense to control the Patriots was to hit Tom Brady, and do it by mixing pressure packages. It worked near the beginning of the game, when Roy Williams came off the edge on the Pats' second play from scrimmage and forced a short-armed throw to create a third-and-10. But later in the drive, the Cowboys paid. On a third-and-7, the Cowboys sent five guys – rushing an inside linebacker and dropping Greg Ellis, a converted end. That left Ellis on Wes Welker. Welker ran a slant and Brady hit him quickly, as he raced into the window created by the rushing ILB. And Ellis couldn’t catch him, as Welker headed upfield for a 20-yard gain to put the Patriots at the Dallas 6. From there, the Cowboys continued to send extra rushers, but were less creative about it, usually incorporating the outside linebackers and making it easier for the Patriot linemen to identify.

 Here was another problem with stopping the Patriots passing game: The check-with-me’s that Brady is allowed to call. When the Cowboys rush was coming, in plenty of cases, the corners were playing about 8 yards off the ball. So Brady could easily check to have his receivers run underneath routes, and easily collect the ball. If the Cowboys had rerouted his receivers closer to the line, it would’ve been risky, but also would’ve given the rush a better chance to get there and could’ve messed with the timing-based offense. The strategy on Randy Moss seemed a little different; the Cowboys played further up on him and usually had S Ken Hamlin stationed over-the-top to help. But in some nickel situations, that left Patrick Watkins to play, in essence, what looked like a single-high safety and those looked like the cases where the Patriots took advantage with Donte’ Stallworth and Welker.

lots more...

Very good objective analysis in my biased opinion.

Look at the comments too. They are good constructive comments and funny "Need to play physical and smart. I know we are tougher than New England but we also seem lots dumber."

Cowboys fans seems to love him and appreciate him in the short time he has been there.

He points out that AD was "obviously limited." The same could be said of Colvin. Where has he been since the Bills game? I know he's hurt, but any idea which body part?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back