PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All Or Nothing, Season 2, Released Tomorrow (better than Hard Knocks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first thing I noticed was how few people were in the room. I was led to believe that he announced to the entire team at a meeing. I doubt there were 10 people in that room and severyal were coaches.

I have been one of Fisher's biggest haters over the years, but I have to admit I was impressed by the reports that he addressed the entire team with the announcement of his firing. I thought it was a very stand up gesture. But NOW, after seeing the actual announcement to a just a few players (it looked like the QB meeting)' I can wipe that lone positive impression out of my mind.. I feel good about that. ;)

BTW- the guy who went up to shake his hand was a young coach and not a player, at least according to what I read (PFT I think)

Fisher has a permanent case of the Muuuuundays.

The first thing I noticed was how few people were in the room. I was led to believe that he announced to the entire team at a meeing. I doubt there were 10 people in that room and severyal were coaches.

I have been one of Fisher's biggest haters over the years, but I have to admit I was impressed by the reports that he addressed the entire team with the announcement of his firing. I thought it was a very stand up gesture. But NOW, after seeing the actual announcement to a just a few players (it looked like the QB meeting)' I can wipe that lone positive impression out of my mind.. I feel good about that. ;)

BTW- the guy who went up to shake his hand was a young coach and not a player, at least according to what I read (PFT I think)
in the clip, he was addressing his coaches. the guy who went up to shake his hand was mike singletary. there may have been a separate announcement later to the players (i haven't watched the series yet).

edit: i watched the first episode. the very first scene is of fisher addressing the whole team about his firing. so it did happen.

Last edited:
in the clip, he was addressing his coaches. the guy who went up to shake his hand was mike singletary. there may have been a separate announcement later to the players (i haven't watched the series yet).

edit: i watched the first episode. the very first scene is of fisher addressing the whole team about his firing. so it did happen.
Yes, I'm up to episode 6 or so and it went down like you said. The later show has the first meeting with the coaches and then a meeting with players.

just finished watching all 8 episodes. some observations ("spoiler" warning):

• the NFC west played the AFC east last year, so we got to see a little bit of the patriots in episode 6. also, the rams lost to every team in the AFC-E except for the jets (ha ha).

• there was also a scene in episode 3 where the rams are about to play the cardinals, and they figure out a tendency of the cardinals to take a long time to get lined up on defense, which they exploited by quick-snapping the ball. how did they discover this tendency? by watching film of the patriots-cardinals game in week 1 of the season.

• the rams played the falcons right after playing the patriots and got smoked 42-14. fisher was fired after that game.

• case keenum seems like a pretty nice guy. he stayed positive after getting benched in favor of goff and seemed like a team player throughout the season.

• interesting to see the difference between how goff was portrayed in Hard Knocks vs how he was portrayed in All or Nothing. i didn't have a positive impression after HK because goff came off a little too laid back and maybe even a little slow (mentally), whereas in AON he seemed pretty business-like and seems like a promising QB. it just goes to show you that in any reality series, editing makes a huge difference, and once the show producers decide what angle they want to take, they'll edit everything to push that view.

• fisher seems like a players' coach--a lot of players were upset when he got fired and they felt like they let him down. interesting to see that most of his assistant coaches were old-school, hard-ass, no-nonsense coaches who were the screaming type. maybe a little good cop/bad cop going on? DC gregg williams was the worst, but OC rob boras, DL coach mike waufle (ex-marine), and DB coach brandon fisher (jeff fisher's son) all were in that category. holding players accountable is one thing, but all of the yelling and screaming seemed counter-productive to me.

• i had the sense that the front office felt the same way, since the interim head coach was john fassel, probably one of the nicest, most positive guys on the staff who all the players seemed to love. fassell was one of the few assistant coaches the rams kept, whereas all of the yellers were let go.

• new head coach sean mcvay also seems like a departure from that old-school type of coaching. seems like a josh mcdaniels-type of coach--young, upbeat, hard-working, good communicator and teacher. i didn't know anything about him--i found this recent article from MMQB about how a lot of young coaches got their start by introducing technology to coaching staffs. both mcvay and kyle shanahan were former assistants to jon gruden.

Technology's Role in Rise of Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay | The MMQB with Peter King

• new DC wade phillips also is not the yelling type, and is known as more of a teacher and a player-friendly coach. i can't help but think that the change in coaching style on both sides of the ball can only be a positive for the team.

• the NFC west played the AFC east last year, so we got to see a little bit of the patriots in episode 6. also, the rams lost to every team in the AFC-E except for the jets (ha ha).

• there was also a scene in episode 3 where the rams are about to play the cardinals, and they figure out a tendency of the cardinals to take a long time to get lined up on defense, which they exploited by quick-snapping the ball. how did they discover this tendency? by watching film of the patriots-cardinals game in week 1 of the season.

• the rams played the falcons right after playing the patriots and got smoked 42-14. fisher was fired after that game.

• case keenum seems like a pretty nice guy. he stayed positive after getting benched in favor of goff and seemed like a team player throughout the season.

• interesting to see the difference between how goff was portrayed in Hard Knocks vs how he was portrayed in All or Nothing. i didn't have a positive impression after HK because goff came off a little too laid back and maybe even a little slow (mentally), whereas in AON he seemed pretty business-like and seems like a promising QB. it just goes to show you that in any reality series, editing makes a huge difference, and once the show producers decide what angle they want to take, they'll edit everything to push that view.

• fisher seems like a players' coach--a lot of players were upset when he got fired and they felt like they let him down. interesting to see that most of his assistant coaches were old-school, hard-ass, no-nonsense coaches who were the screaming type. maybe a little good cop/bad cop going on? DC gregg williams was the worst, but OC rob boras, DL coach mike waufle (ex-marine), and DB coach brandon fisher (jeff fisher's son) all were in that category. holding players accountable is one thing, but all of the yelling and screaming seemed counter-productive to me.

• i had the sense that the front office felt the same way, since the interim head coach was john fassel, probably one of the nicest, most positive guys on the staff who all the players seemed to love. fassell was one of the few assistant coaches the rams kept, whereas all of the yellers were let go.

• new head coach sean mcvay also seems like a departure from that old-school type of coaching. seems like a josh mcdaniels-type of coach--young, upbeat, hard-working, good communicator and teacher. i didn't know anything about him--i found this recent article from MMQB about how a lot of young coaches got their start by introducing technology to coaching staffs. both mcvay and kyle shanahan were former assistants to jon gruden.

Technology's Role in Rise of Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay | The MMQB with Peter King

• new DC wade phillips also is not the yelling type, and is known as more of a teacher and a player-friendly coach. i can't help but think that the change in coaching style on both sides of the ball can only be a positive for the team.

I noticed something similar about coaching styles watching All Or Nothing last year. Arians is very much a "yell like an *******" coach, and it really came off as hollow. I get the feeling that's the approach a lot of coaches take when they have no idea how to actually get to people. It's like bad disciplinarian teachers who never actually get their class under control.

I don't think BB yells like a drill sergeant, but during film study, I bet he calmly and methodically rips everyone apart. Sounds better to me.

new head coach sean mcvay also seems like a departure from that old-school type of coaching. seems like a josh mcdaniels-type of coach--young, upbeat, hard-working, good communicator and teacher. i didn't know anything about him--i found this recent article from MMQB about how a lot of young coaches got their start by introducing technology to coaching staffs. both mcvay and kyle shanahan were former assistants to jon gruden.
McVay & Shanahan are also the grateful recipients of nepotism.

Great recap. I just finished watching it yesterday.

Fisher reminds me of Michael Keaton every time he speaks. It seems like he's trying to motivate his team with some kind of third grade child psychology act. It was just over the top and unbelievable. I can't imagine having to listen to that season after season.

Overall my views of Fisher improved slightly after watching it but the differences between him and McVay were dramatic. McVay at first glance seems like he coaches from knowledge rather than motivation which I think will translate to more wins on the field. It'll be interesting to see how they'll do this season.

Appreciate the heads up and I 100% agree that ALL OR NOTHING is better than HARD KNOCKS. In fact, just the other day while going for my morning walk I thought about how it would actually be fun to watch an inside look of a train wreck football team.

Let me phrase it this way.........every year Hard Knock covers training camp. Even the bad teams have high hopes during the training camp. After all, everyone is 0-0 and who knows what could happen.

When the Cardinals did ALL OR NOTHING they were very successful and made it to the NFC Championship. While that was great ot see I also thought........what would this be like if their season was a complete failure? What if they tanked?

It would be interesting to see if the coach could still motivate the troops, or if he even tried. What would the vibe of the locker room be like. Everything is fine and dandy on a winner, but it would be fun to get the inside look of a failure too.

And here we have the 2016 Rams. I can't wait to watch :)

i just ran across this feature in MMQB from last month:

24 Hours with Rams Coach Sean McVay | The MMQB with Peter King

it's a nice little update to Hard Knocks and All or Nothing. plus a short video segment showing mcvay running a practice and team meetings. again, the difference from the way fisher's staff ran things is pretty stark. mcvay seems like a really sharp guy and a good communicator.

other coaches probably do this too (not fisher, apparently), but this is right out of the belichick school of teaching:

McVay calls on players at random throughout the meeting. Rams employees have come to fear this. Nothing is worse than the head coach catching your daydream in front of the entire room. From quarterback Jared Goff to the quality control assistants, many have learned the hard way to pay undivided attention. Some have even taken to keeping a cheat sheet at the front of their binder, listing all the Ram slogans and acronyms that McVay asks about. It’s not unusual for McVay to call on a potential victim and hear frantic page-turning.

McVay & Shanahan are also the grateful recipients of nepotism.
a lot of NFL coaches have fathers who were also NFL coaches. steve and brian belichick are on that path too. as long as the coaches are actually qualified, i don't have a problem with it.

So far I've watched all episodes through where Fisher gets fired... Fisher was talking on the practice field, during a LOOOONG losing streak, about buying a ping pong table. His assistant coach said, "You might want to wait until the end of the season." LMAO

Also, during the Patriots game, they really exposed what a buffoon Fisher was with that challenge flag.

He's yelling out, "I want to challenge!"

One of the refs said, "You've got to throw the flag, coach."

Fisher: "But I can't find it in this new coat they gave me."

grab-2016-12-04-13h51m27s90.png

"Wanna get away?" o_O

So far I've watched all episodes through where Fisher gets fired... Fisher was talking on the practice field, during a LOOOONG losing streak, about buying a ping pong table. His assistant coach said, "You might want to wait until the end of the season." LMAO

Also, during the Patriots game, they really exposed what a buffoon Fisher was with that challenge flag.

"Wanna get away?" o_O

It definitely may have been the editing, but Fisher was not the way I had always perceived him. I always saw him as some really macho guy who said little, intimidated everyone, and ran his team like a military camp. Again, could have been the editing, but the Fisher on All or Nothing was like a very confused dad trying desperately to stay with the times while his kids threw pie in his face and laughed at him. He had less effect on the impact of his players than a slight wind. If a coach falls in the woods (or bumbles like an idiot) but no one is there to hear it...does he make a sound?

Didn't know there was a thread here- loved last year, I'm through 6 episodes this year

was really surprised about the reaction when fisher got fired. didn't know he had total control of the locker room like that. wouldn't expect that from a losing team like that. i currently play for a team that'd have a much different reaction if our coach was fired.

i also really liked the personalities more last year with ari

"Wanna get away?" o_O

When watching this I was thinking, "JEFF, DO YOUR JOB!!!"

Can you imagine BB breaking down this film? :D

"Didn't play good, didn't coach good..."

It definitely may have been the editing, but Fisher was not the way I had always perceived him. I always saw him as some really macho guy who said little, intimidated everyone, and ran his team like a military camp. Again, could have been the editing, but the Fisher on All or Nothing was like a very confused dad trying desperately to stay with the times while his kids threw pie in his face and laughed at him. He had less effect on the impact of his players than a slight wind. If a coach falls in the woods (or bumbles like an idiot) but no one is there to hear it...does he make a sound?

Fisher's reputation as a tough guy was based entirely on how he acted when the local sports media was around and puff pieces from his golf buddies like Peter King. His Titans teams were almost always dumb and undisciplined, but it wasn't really noticed because nobody payed attention to them nationally He was also super indulgent towards serial dirtbag players like Pacman Jones.

His successful seasons he was basically carried by Steve McNair and his coordinators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST