Originally Posted by Sciz
A 13-3 season is about the only thing there is to say about Alex Smith. This is also the guy who:
1. Is four years older than Mallett
2. Lacks Mallett's arm
3. Was a huge bust with every coach before Harbaugh
4. Played in a very conservative offense
5. Was aided to a 13-3 record by a top defense
6. Costs around $7M more than Mallett each of the next two seasons
7. Averaged just over a TD per game in his best full season
Alex Smith is proven mediocrity. Mallett actually has potential. There's a big difference.
You're looking at it completely unobjectively.
1. Mallett has proven nothing in the NFL
2. Mallett has a slow as molasses release
3. Smith has proven he can win games
4. Smith has proven he can read NFL defenses and make the right play
5. Smith has shown he has great accuracy
In Smith I see a guy with NFL experience, good accuracy, good enough arm strength, good football IQ, and ability to run at a decent rate.
In Mallett I see Drew Bledsoe with a slower release, less ability to read defenses, and is even more inaccurate, zero game experience and proof he can do anything besides throw interceptions every 5 throws.
You are absolutely kidding yourself if you think Mallett has more value than Smith. That is absolutely absurd.