PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

You be the judge: Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
pats1 said:
FWIW, the 2nd pass was actually to Troy. The ball also sailed slightly over Brown and into the hands of the DB, and it took a DB-style effort from Troy to knock it loose and prevent the INT.

Oh OK, good call. Yup, I remember that one now - and that certainly proves my interpretation of #2 wrong...hmm, but I'll find another way to steer blame away from Brady :D

From what I gather from those pictures:

The first pass it does look like Brady is getting hit at the release, resulting in the bad throw. On that first pass it does appear that two underneath recievers were open as the ball sails past them intended for Watson in double coverage. I don't recall exactly how the blocking came about, but Brady may have been forced into throwing to his first read based on the pressure. It looks like he was about a quarter of a second from getting sacked at the 1 yard line.

On the second pass Brady releases as a rusher breaks free towards him and the pass is into single coverage and seems from the pictures to hit Troy where it should, inside and away from the defender. Not a great throw apparently as it clangs incomplete, but not a horrible decision.

The last pass is the hard to explain one that we'll never know the answer to. It looks like Brady has decent protection besides the closing defender slipping past Light and it appears from the pictures that the WR behind Gabriel has a pocket where the ball could have been placed for a first down. But who knows why Brady did what he did, or even what he saw when he made his decision.

It's a frustrating series, and one we're not used to seeing, but many teams when faced with a simular situation end up throwing an INT for a TD that seals the game. Brady may have been trying to keep the game up in the air as much as he could rather than making a mistake that put it out of reach completely. I have no idea. We can just hope that next week is better.

Last edited:
Here's another view of play #2:

1159188729_1530.jpg

pats1 said:
Here's another view of play #2:

1159188729_1530.jpg

Oh yeah, now I remember that play. I guess it wasn't placed where it shoulda been (that we can tell from our vantage point, which is not for sure).

A couple of things:

1. You can't tell from still photos what the QB saw at the time of throw. This is why teams watch film interlaced with tight shots, and wide shots, so that they can see the entire field. What a lot of fans complain about when the ball is in the air, and another receiver is "wide open" (not that this is what you are doing here, just that it is a similar situation) is really the speed of the safeties or backers reacting to the QB's eyes or reading the throw. I would need to see the actual video, but preferably the wide shot to see what was going on. That's why going to the game is so much better than watching on TV.

2. Calling out where the ball landed doesn't always make sense, since the throws are designed to go through specific 'windows' or to a certain point. If you miss on a post, the ball may land 15 yards past the receiver, but you may have made a decent throw and just missed by a few inches.

Personally, I think your photos show us trying to get a little greedy. The series started on the 8, and the first 2 throws were to the 30 and 40. That forced us into a third down where we were clearly going to have to run an out or a slant/drag to pick up 10, and the defense clamped down, and forced a poor throw. We played right into it and that was your ballgame.

Michigan Dave said:
A couple of things:

1. You can't tell from still photos what the QB saw at the time of throw. This is why teams watch film interlaced with tight shots, and wide shots, so that they can see the entire field. What a lot of fans complain about when the ball is in the air, and another receiver is "wide open" (not that this is what you are doing here, just that it is a similar situation) is really the speed of the safeties or backers reacting to the QB's eyes or reading the throw. I would need to see the actual video, but preferably the wide shot to see what was going on. That's why going to the game is so much better than watching on TV.

2. Calling out where the ball landed doesn't always make sense, since the throws are designed to go through specific 'windows' or to a certain point. If you miss on a post, the ball may land 15 yards past the receiver, but you may have made a decent throw and just missed by a few inches.

Personally, I think your photos show us trying to get a little greedy. The series started on the 8, and the first 2 throws were to the 30 and 40. That forced us into a third down where we were clearly going to have to run an out or a slant/drag to pick up 10, and the defense clamped down, and forced a poor throw. We played right into it and that was your ballgame.
Keep it coming Dave, a very good read.

Now I'm totally confused -- please help me out here.

In a situation where:
a: you're up against the clock and the D is EXPECTING the pass
b: you're back up against the goal line
c: you're playing against a fast, well-coached, experienced secondary
d: you're working with the oldest, slowest and shortest go-to-guy in the entire league...

then to convert the first down through the air would've represented a routine procedure, and otherwise is a clear indication of a QB who:
a: has "lost his fire" or his skills
b: must be hampered by an injury
c: deliberately threw the game to send a message
d: insert your favorite option here which hasn't yet been listed...

If it's up for us to judge, then obviously Brady is overrated and we're doomed and we might even want to consider inserting Cassell for a series or two just to light a fire under his ass.

Should we lose the Cincy game, I really can't wait for the threads in this forum from all the NE football experts who'd rather put their faith in the ignorant and divisive rantings of talk radio rather than the prime skill of one of the greatest players ever.

Great post and some excellent feedback. This illustrates the value of this board to me.

This has nothing to do with these frames, but I watched a little of this game again yesterday, and Brady's footwork was really bad in the plays that I watched. Instead of the normal, fluid motion of a drop, Brady was basically sprinting back to his place and then planting both feet. I felt like I was watching the footwork of someone like Boller. Brady was clearly very uncomfortable in the pocket and wanted to get the ball out asap.

Upon further review:..
1)several looks at the HD feed look to me like TB is under extreme pressure at the time of release in the first two plays--Light and Mankins are both beaten in play #1, O'C is beaten on an inside stunt in #2 (he has a generally poor game where I've looked closely--and I love his work in games 1 and 2--I am afraid that his head injury is a concussion, which was a problem in his college career)
2) the plays are slow to develop, and the only open receiver I see is Faulk curling out of the backfield
3) by the third play I believe Brady expects things to break down, and indeed Light is broken down again on a slow developing play
4) at no time does TB look like the culprit--I am seeing protection problems and questionble play calling
...Still fourth down.

Brady is off because he is pouting / depressed over his broken heart. He will fall in love with another receiver in time. Toward the end of the game I think he was flirting a bit with Gabriel.

You'll know he's back when the mash notes to Hasselbeck stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes