PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi OT: Knighton goes on Twitter Rant about NFL v. NBA pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
So, I saw that Terrence Knight went on a twitter rant of sorts about the "pay inequities" between the NFL and the NBA.

This is where he shows his information to be wrong:

The NBA took in 8.4B in revenue in 2016/2017. NOT $4.8B with it being approx. a 50/50 split.
https://www.todaysfastbreak.com/nba-news/nba-revenue-expected-to-hit-8-billion-in-2016-2017/

(The Marketwatch article from Feb 2016 was erroneous since the NBA made 5.2B in 2014/2015)

The NFL took in over 13B during the 2015/2016 season and the player portion was $6.2B for the 2016/2017 season.

The NFL has 53 man roster plus the 10 PS. The NBA averages 14 men per roster though they can have a max of 15. So, you have 63 v 14. Or 2016 NFL Players v. 420 NBA players.

So, you have 2016 players dividing up 6.2B and 420 players dividing up 4.2B. Of course the average salary is going to be more for the league with only 420 players in it..

No one is forcing individuals to choose a path to the NFL. The players are free to forgo the league and find jobs elsewhere.

They have difficult jobs that are hard on the body. But no one is forcing them... you'll be ok PotRoast. Get a financial advisor you can trust.

If I were Knighton, I guess on the one hand I may be jealous. But on the other I'd be happy. There's probably only one sport on earth that he'd be able to play anywhere near a professional level, and he found it.

He should be careful what he wishes for. NBA salaries are very top-heavy, but those are the ones gettting media attention. If Brady and Rodgers made Steph Curry money, players like Knighton would be the ones who suffered.

Makes sense to me, can't compare because of roster size and NBAPA is a faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better union than the NFLPA. Also Evan Turner was just a terrible contract, not a good comparison.

Did I miss where these guys were being forced to play football? Many of them got the gift of athletic scholarships in college and were free to choose whatever path in life they wanted to take and study what they wanted to study. They didn't need to take the NFL route and could have gone elsewhere. They then negotiated an absolutely horrific CBA with the league and are yet still making very healthy livings.

Twitter is stupid. Going on a Twitter rant is stupider. Going on a Twitter rant parsing ephemera about grotesquely overpaid professional athletes is stupider still.

So stupid on so many levels, I don't even know where to begin, or if I should bother wasting my time. Just as bad are the tweets from sports blogs claiming he went on an "epic" rant and "roasted" the NFL, along with a bunch of greedy players agreeing with him.

They're all overpaid. All of them should feel very lucky, not underpaid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News