OT-ish: CSNNE down depending on your DNS configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuantumMechanic

Burn it all down!
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
If your DNS server is doing DNSSEC validation you will not be able to reach CSNNE websites. The signatures on their zone (the RRSIG records) have expired and this causes validating DNS servers to refuse to resolve the CSNNE hostnames.

What you'll see as an end user is that the website won't load and you'll eventually get a "Could not resolve hostname" error in your browser.

I tweeted Curran (only CSNNE person I follow) and he actually passed it to IT and I got a tweet from the CSNNE main account saying they are looking into it.

And they've fixed it.

Probably just a zone refresh. Can sometimes take 24 hours

Probably just a zone refresh. Can sometimes take 24 hours
No, they really had a problem. The RRSIGs expired 9 days ago and they had no clue so they had been offline for anyone using DNSSEC all that time.

I ended up in a twitter direct message (i.e. private) conversation last night with some "director of digital assets". After some questions I gave them some log extracts plus pointed them at some online DNSSEC checkers and the light finally went on for them and about a half-hour later (most of which I imagine was zone refresh time) the RRSIGs were updated and things were OK.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference