Just got done listening to a podcast done by Dan Shonka - He's runs Ourlads and has an impeccable 39 year background in coaching and professional scouting. For what its worth, I thought it wa s VERY interesting on just some of his comments on certain players that we've been talking about.
1. Bruce Carter - He was EXTREMELY high on him. He expects him to go early 2nd. Just couldn't say enough good things about him. It was interesting since he had just finished trashing NC players in general in the past, especially DLmen - Thought he was a top 10 talent
2. Aldon Smith - He hated him - Watched him alot, and while he flashed, he never saw him play a complete game. Commented that he didn't even seem to get up for the big games. Doubts that he's a first round talent but acknowledged that he;ll probably get picked mid first. Young could eventually get it, but needs lots of work. Won't be an impact player for a few years...if at all.
3. JJ Watt - Loved him - said he's the best 5 technique DE in the draft - Has him going to Dallas at #9
4. Costanzo - Had him going to the Pats at 17 - didn't seem overly enthusiastic about him. Thinks he is a RT early in his career. A good friend of Dante - spent most of his time talking more about Volmer than Costanzo. Said that he was shocked how quickly Dante had Volmer ready to play in his rookie year. He liked Volmer's potential, but didn't think he'd contribute so early. Lots of kudo to Dante
5. Watkins - He loved him. When The Pats were discussed at 28 he loved Watkins. Thought he'd make a perfect Patriot. A plug in starter from day one. In his mock he gave us Wilkerson, but didn't seem overly enthused about him.
6. Think Brooks Reed is a 3rd round prospect who might sneak into the first round. Said he wasn't even the best rusher on his own team (Elmore) - limited skills - a one trick pony
7. When discussing Buffalo he noted he had Aaron Maybin as a 3rd round prospect. He liked Spiller but not that high. Thinks he'll contribute a lot more this season. He also through in that he had Gholson as a 3rd rounder too.
8. Miles Austin - Hated him, though he thinks he might sneak into the first round. Wouldn't have him on his board - says after he dominated he drills, small school OLmen pancaked him in live action. Says nothing in his film suggests he's an NFL player. No heart.
9 The next Matthews - says he has GREAT instincts and few measurables. One of those guys who just gets the job done. Somehow he arrives where the ball is. Says he has him as a 3rd or 4th round guy who will make some team play special teams, be a quality fill in player and be in the league 10 yrs
10. Wilson - the ILB from ILL - didn't like him as much as some other ILB whose name I forget. Good player but not great instincts - gets cut down alot - but great recovery.
11. Cam Jordan - Likes him as a very versatile DLman - says he has great NFL DNA - which he says about a lot of 2nd generation players. Gave him to Jacksonville at 16 - I was pissed.
12 Cam Heywood - he seemed more enthusiastic about him than Jordan (JMO) he gave him to SD just after he gave us Costanzo
13.Jimmie Smith (my latest Binky) Didn't like him at all. Acknowledged his physical talent, but didn't think he used it consistently on the field. Called him very undisciplined. he did a lot of freelancing Ah well another binky lost to the well of reality
General Comments - Didn't think there was a first round DB after Peterson and the Prince, though he had a couple going at the end of first round (the UCLA/USC S and the Texas CB) because of team's needs
He agreed that a lot of QBs will be over drafted - He liked Ponder the best of the also rans. Thinks that a lot of teams at the end of the first round will make hay trading down to allow those QB starved teams back in so they can get their QB.
The one thing I got out of this was his appraisal of Bruce Carter.....my NEW...an latest BINKY
Hope you find this interesting