Originally Posted by patchick
I agree, which is why I grade him as a solid Pats prospect but not round 1.
But...consistency check here, BOR. Bunkley is probably 2 inches taller than Wilfork, whom you've nominated to move out to DE if Seymour leaves! VW seems like a straight NT to me.
Meanwhile, anyone have thoughts on Kedric Galston of Georgia? He has the rare body type -- 6'4", 298, 5.0, athletic -- and reportedly a good work ethic. He has an injury history (car accident) and a stupid off-the-field incident history (disorderly conduct in a bar fight) but seems to be regarded as a good character guy overall. Day 2 prospect?
Consistency check aye aye!
1. Wilfork (6'2" per Pats roster) has taken reps at DE with some success, he is not my ideal choice (I know I've got a screwball world view but, I think that Seymour kid is pretty good there), however; Vince has proven he can be effective in an actual NFL game the same way Warren and Green have been effective at NT - not ideal but workable when all else fails.
2. Our Vince is quick off the snap, probably second behind Lightning Dan Klecko when it comes to reacting to the snap.
3. Bunkley (6'2") needs to prove 1 & 2 to me, and he lacks 20+ lbs of momentum and muscle that Vince brings to the field.
Bunkley seems like a decent player, I didn't include him on my list because as of this week I'm looking at the write-ups and draftnik consensus and seeing him grade out as a late first round selection. I don't see him having value there for the Patriots so he isn't on my board. If we were looking for a DL at that point in the draft, I'd take Stanley to give us a Wilfork-like physical specimen to play behind Vince.
Ochmed has a nice recap of what a Patriot 3-4 NT and DE looks like.
What I'm looking for in this exercise is three fold:
1. Generate discussion beyond the 'I want the shiny new toy' posts so we actually pick each other's brains - nice first week effort, thanks.
2. Take a more in depth look at each position building up to April 29.
3. Have fun.
We've already seen where some of us wouldn't mind a DL day one and some think it extravagant even on day two. We have the flexibility to build our individual boards to address the value WE, YOU, ME, I
see at each position and each round. I personally don't see a first round value for the Patriots at RB, including Reggie Bush. Nut and Heat don't see first round value for the Patriots at NT. Works for me, Dee Webb isn't inappropriately exercising his second amendment rights at any of our brain pans or he'd be the consensus no. 1.
When we put together our final boards we'll each have value groups for the available picks and we'll have reconsidered our needs based on actual roster moves. Maybe by then I'll want De'Angelo Williams, but then I'm not Matt Millen looking at LB and seeing WR.