Originally Posted by Mogamedogz
I really REALLY dislike that guy. Easily makes my top 5 list for least liked players in the league.
That said... if he can help solve our pass rush woes... DO IT.
There's some issues to be considered:
1. He's got a big contract. Signed through 2012, $41M with $15M guaranteed. The last big contract guy we signed to solve our problems at OLB hasn't turned out so well.
2. He's coming off a knee injury, which ended his 2008 season. He hasn't played particularly well this season, especially against the run. It's not clear whether he's still recovering from his injury, but I'd want to get a better sense of that before taking on such a big move.
3. He isn't the easiest personality in the world. He's spoken about his personal life being affected by abandonment issues and "psychological trauma" from his childhood. He's been very outspoken in the past, and he's something of an open malcontent this season. We've had our own overpaid malcontent at OLB, and it hasn't been a particularly pleasant situation. I'm not sure I can see the FO running to find another guy who fits that mold. I'm not sure he's the veteran I would want to bring in to provide leadership and mentor any developmental DE/OLBs (if we ever drafted any).
4. It's not clear that he would be an effective 3-4 OLB. He's terrific speed rusher in the 4-3, but while he's very athletic I'm not sure he has what it takes to set the edge and play the run in our system. I see him more as a better version of Derrick Burgess.
5. Umenyiora has benefitted from playing on a very talented DL, with guys like Michael Strahan, Mathias Kiwanuka and Justin Tuck alongside him at various times. Like Adalius Thomas in Baltimore, some of his success may have been due to the system in which he's played and the talent which he's had around him.
6. It's not clear that the Giants will trade him, or how much they would ask for.
Add all those things up, and I don't think it's exactly a clear "yes" to go after this guy. I would hope we would take a very long and hard look before going after this guy, and only if the cost were not prohibitive.
All in all, I think it's a long shot at best. I'd rather have Mathias Kiwanuka. Younger, cheaper, taller, better at playing in space. Not as good of an edge rusher, but I don't think that's the most important thing to BB.