....because that's all you can make from a game where no one who was even NEAR starting got on the field.
1. Is it just me or did Cassell, Testeverde, AND Guitierrez, ALL play better than Rohan Davie EVER did in a preseason game. Cassell continued to improve on his pocket pressence, Vinnie still has a gun, and Guitierrez DOES NOT look like a QB from a 2-8 Idaho State team.
2. I'm kind of disappointed that I never heard Zak DeOssie's name called, or at least I don't remember him making a play.
3. I can understand the attraction AND frustration with Ryan O'Callahan. On one play he gets turnstyled which led to Cassell taking a big hit, and then on the next play (or close to it) he crushes his guy on a running play, then gets a hit on a second level player. He's a big time player if he ever develops his pass protection skills. Not as good a Kazcur right now, but with a much higher ceiling.
4 Bam belongs on someone's roster. You'd think teams like Atlanta, Minni, and Tenn, would jump at the chance at him. AND Kight looked like he belonged out there as well. What a WR group. We had 3 guys out there that played real well, more guys who will probably make the roster, and 2 more guys on PUP. That's 11 guys, most of whom are better than the WRs we had in 2001. (IIRC we had fewer than 15 catches from WRs not named Brown and Patten)
5. I'm starting to see why the Pats kept Billy Yates on the team these last 2 years.
6. Alexander had a big game and Woods in just his 2nd year in his DL to LB progression, showed he too is improving. The Pats were excellent at the point of attack all night. What few good runs the Giants had were when the RB bounced off of the point of attack, or was hit and not brought down.
7 Brandon Merriweather brings a level of speed to the safety position we haven't seen from NE safeties since....well forever. He isn't always running to the right places just yet, but where ever he is going, he is getting there FAST
8. I thought Wesley and James covered well at the corners. Still you can see the difference in between them and the top level CBs. Its not while they are running with the receivers. Every guy at THAT level can turn and run with WRs. The difference is when the ball is just reaching the receiver. Its at THAT point that separates the elite from the also rans. (I know because at one time WAS that also ran). The great ones have the body control, vision, and timing that allows them to compete for the ball with the great athletes that are most WRs. The JAGs, are THERE to make a play, but somehow CAN'T get their bodies into postion to make a play on the ball, can't run and get vision on the ball, or can't time their leaps to match the WR. I know becaue that was why I didn't make the team. too many tackles and not enough passes defended.
9. I thought it was very telling that Kelly Washington DID NOT play, even on special teams. If the Pats were going to cut or showcase him for a trade, he would have played a lot. Kelly Washington has MADE this team....along with Moss, Stallworth, Welker, Gaffney, and Caldwell. Gentlemen, welcome to the world of 2 QBs and 6 WRs. Vinny gets to sit by the phone and Gutierrez get to be the PS QB
10. One of the reasons I felt so good about the JV defense was that, for the most part, especially on the Giants first drive, they played them straight up and was very vanilla. Later in the game they came with a couple of blitz packages.
11. Now its finally for real, and we can talk about an opponent that MATTERS. Initially I thought the Jets were going to be a strong threat in the AFCE. However early on I felt they had a serious depth problem on the OL, and with the trade of Kendall, that has just gotten worse. The DL isn't a lot better.
Away from the ball the Jets have a lot of good players especially at WR and the defensive backfield. In fact I have BOTH Cotcherry and Coles as WRs on my FF team. along with Kerry Rhodes. They weren't my first choices, but since I drafted at the bottom of my league and picked RB/RB/QB in the first 3 rounds, I'm not unhappy with them. They are both good players
BOTTOM LINE - Its pretty simple. The Pats will beat up the Jets at the LOS on BOTH sides of the ball...and that's why they will win the game.