Originally Posted by manxman2601
Please no. Such a waste of a high draft pick (with a few exceptions: Hankins, Nix, Williams*).
*And he's hardly a pass rusher.
I'm not sure I understand you. Are you suggesting that DL in a waste of a high draft pick? Or are you down on some players in particular (e.g., Kawann Short)?
As I've stated earlier in this thread, the defensive guys that I could see the Pats possibly
spending a pick in the 32 range on include:
- Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah - will be a top 10 pick, so it's not realistic
- Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio St. - will probably be a top 15 pick
- Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame - probably won't come out; if he does, will probably be a top 20 pick
- Sheldon Richardson, DT/DE, Missouri - some major question marks, and will probably be a top 20 pick, anyway
- Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama
- Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon - unlikely that BB would take someone with his skill set this early, but not out of the question
- Ziggy Ansah, DE, BYU - it all depends on the Pats' eval, and whether he's available; plenty of ceiling
- Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia - may not be available, and would the Pats take another LB that high?
I could add in someone like Sam Montgomery of LSU, though I would guess he'll be long gone. I think that if any of those players are available when the Pats pick they deserve serious consideration. The only offensive player who I personally have rated that highly is Jonathan Cooper, and he would obviously also have to be in the mix if he were available.
If the Pats had more draft picks I could see them potentially trading up again. But with so few picks it seems unlikely. And it all depends on how certain they are.
I do think that it's unlikely that we'll see a "wasted pick" in the 1st round. The Pats are too good in their system-specific scouting. It's not impossible, but it's pretty unlikely.