By: Derek Havens
My colleague Ian Logue helps start you off each day with his daily links entry, so in an effort to help fellow Patriots fans get caught up at the end of each day on what’s gone on with this football team, I’ll be offering a daily entry at the end of each day to help keep up with any news you may have missed. You can also follow me on Twitter @PatriotsHaven to learn when it’s available.
The Patriots started another chaotic week in the NFL, prepping for the Detroit Lions. Here are some notes on the team and around the league on Monday:
- Patriots rookie cornerback Ras-I Dowling returned to practice on Monday after missing the past three weeks. The return proves to be a timely one as veteran corner Leigh Bodden was not seen at practice and was only n the game for seven plays in the pre-season opener verse the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
- Wide receiver Taylor Price also returned to practice after missing last weeks team activities. Price was a key piece to the teams victory in the preseason opener against the Jaguars, he had five receptions for 105 yards and a touchdown.
- The Patriots injuries seem to be stacking up. So far in the Pats 2011 camp, there have been: 21 practices (10 full pads, 5 shorts/shells, 6 walkthroughs). In that time, 38 players missed at least one practice due to injury. This could definitely be an effect of the lockout. Hopefully the team can get healthy for the regular season opener against the division rival Miami Dolphins.
- Patriots defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth pleaded no contest to a charge of simple assault on Monday. Haynesworth went to resolve a case in which he was accused of touching a waitress’ breast while having drinks with friends at a Washington hotel. If he stays out of trouble over the next 18 months and completes 160 hours of community service, prosecutors have agreed to drop the charge entirely. While I do not believe the Patriots will cut Haynesworth, an NFL suspension is more likely; I expect neither will happen though.
- There has been a lot of “Roster Predictions” the past couple of weeks. My first roster prediction was posted last week and I will be updating the 2.0 version set to post on Tuesday morning.
- Patriots quarterback Tom Brady spoke with John Dennis and Gerry Callahan on his weekly radio appearance for WEEI. Brady said he loved to see the defense attacking opposing QBs. “I love to see that. From another quarterback’s perspective, to stand there on the sidelines and watch them attack the quarterback — force them into quick decisions, force them into throws that you don’t want to make but have to make because you don’t have time to see the coverages — that’s good for any defensive football team.”
- Greg bedard of the Boston Globe tweeted last week that he had confirmed the reported salary cap number for the Pats – “League source confirmed @ProFootballTalk‘s cap number for Patriots is correct: $9.2 million under as of Monday. For all AFC East cap room numbers, check out my post earlier in the week.
- The Raiders selected Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor in the third round of the supplemental draft on Monday morning. For what it’s worth, I believe the kid has talent and is an incredible athlete for his size. Obviously the Raiders wanted him and Al Davis has never been afraid of long-term projects. However, with the use of their third round pick, they forfeit that selection in the 2012 draft. This leaves Oakland without a pick in rounds two, three, and four next year.
- I am really surprised Lofa Tatupu is still on the market. The linebacker has been solid in Seattle over the previous years and seems like a solid addition to LB-needy teams. I would like the Patriots to take a closer look at Tatupu, I believe he would be a fit here in New England.
- Roster cuts will be taking place later this month. Aug. 30th when the roster will go to 80. Initially, Aug 30th was suppose to mark the day when teams reduce the rosters to a maximum of 75 players, but the league office made that change earlier this week. Sep. 3rd marks the day where final cuts are made.
For Patriots updates in an instant, Follow me on Twitter: @PatriotsHaven!
//include ("/home/httpd/vhosts/patsfans.com/httpdocs/pfinclude/add-this-bar.php"); ?>
// include ("/home/httpd/vhosts/patsfans.com/httpdocs/pfinclude/600-lower-blog-adbar.php"); ?> // include ("/home/httpd/vhosts/patsfans.com/httpdocs/newsletter/content-email-signup-600px.php"); ?>
include ("/home/httpd/vhosts/patsfans.com/httpdocs/2015/pfinclude/2015-ROS-Article-Below-Content.php"); ?> // include ("/home/httpd/vhosts/patsfans.com/httpdocs/pfinclude/featured_lower.php"); ?> //include ("/home/httpd/vhosts/patsfans.com/httpdocs/2015/pfinclude/crowd-ignite.php"); ?>