By: Derek Havens
Yet another chaotic day in the NFL since the lockout has ended. Teams shuffling their respective rosters, trades, and training camp. The Patriots were busy on the practice field Sunday, here are some notes from the teams seventh practice this camp:
- The teams morning session was held in full pads and in warm and sunny conditions. Great atmosphere and Celtics point-guard Rajon Rondo even stopped by to say hello to the team.
- Albert Haynesworth was the topic of conversation Sunday. After passing his conditioning test, he was dominant in drills early. He absolutely displayed his talents and what he might be able to contribute moving forward. Bill Belichick did keep his work load light and restricted his repetitions during the back half of the morning.
- The offense had a very tough day. Very sloppy with a lot of drops by the receivers. Chad Ochocinco was off to a rough start but stayed after practice to run routes and catch balls.
- At one point, the defense was in a 4 – 3 defensive alignment that featured Cunningham, Wilfork, Haynesworth, and Moore (from left to right). This could be an interesting defensive front moving forward if the team is serious about making the switch from a 3-4 base defense.
- Stephen Gostkowski, who is coming off quad surgery last season, is still being eased back into action at practice. Undrafted rookie kicker Chris Koepplin took much of the kicking duty but definitely struggled early. Also, I found it interesting that linebacker Rob Ninkovich handled long snapping duties. Patriots veteran long snapper Matt Katula remains sidelined.
- On Saturday the Patriots announced they had re-signed veteran safety Brandon McGowan and linebacker Tracy White. Both players were unrestricted free agents and under the new CBA transition rules, neither player can practice until Aug. 4th.
- The Seattle Seahawks released linebacker Lofa Tatupu on Sunday morning. He is an interesting name to keep in mind for the Pats. I believe he would be a great additionand I am not the only one who believes so. Former Patriots Safety, Lawyer Milloy, said on twitter, “#Seahawks run a 4-3. Lofa would fit in perfectly in Bill’s scheme because he’s smart.”. Nothing imminent, but Tatupu seems to be the best available linebacker available if the team looks to add another player.
- Plaxico Burress signed with the New York Jets and I could not be more pleased. Yes, I still believe Burress has something left to offer but, the 34-year old receiver is on the very end of his career. Why is this good news? This almost all but guarantees Braylon Edwards will not be returning to the team for this next season. While Edwards is not an elite wide-out, he definitely burned the Pats secondary on a few occasions last year and i see this move as a downgrade for New York.
- Some Patriots fans have mention New York Giants DE Osi Umenyiora as a possible addition for the defense. While the disgruntled defensive lineman may be a fit here in New England, he is still under contract with the Giants. During a conversation between the Giants and Osi on Sunday morning, the team told him if they would shop him they would ask for a first round draft pick. Definitely too high for Belichick to pull the trigger.
- The Patriots will not be practicing on Monday. Under the rules of the new CBA, teams are required to give players a day off the first week of camp.
– Like what you have read on the site? Stay in touch with me onTwitter @PatriotsHaven! Whether you want Patriots updates in an instant or just talk about the team, be sure to look me up!
//include ("/home/httpd/vhosts/patsfans.com/httpdocs/pfinclude/add-this-bar.php"); ?>
// include ("/home/httpd/vhosts/patsfans.com/httpdocs/pfinclude/600-lower-blog-adbar.php"); ?> // include ("/home/httpd/vhosts/patsfans.com/httpdocs/newsletter/content-email-signup-600px.php"); ?>
include ("/home/httpd/vhosts/patsfans.com/httpdocs/2015/pfinclude/2015-ROS-Article-Below-Content.php"); ?> // include ("/home/httpd/vhosts/patsfans.com/httpdocs/pfinclude/featured_lower.php"); ?> //include ("/home/httpd/vhosts/patsfans.com/httpdocs/2015/pfinclude/crowd-ignite.php"); ?>