Starting at 1PM September 3rd the New England Patriots can build its practice squad, which can consist of up to ten players. Not every player is eligible to be on the practice squad.
Below are the criteria for six of the ten players:
- A player who has not accrued a season of NFL experience is eligible for the practice squad. (e.g. a rookie).
- A free agent who was active (46-man game-day roster) for fewer than nine games during their accrued season(s) is eligible for the practice squad (e.g. Woodrow Hamilton).
- A player cannot be on a practice squad for a third season unless his team has a full 53-man roster.
Note that a player must have a minimum of six games – up from the current three games – on a Practice Squad in order for that season to count as one of the player’s three permissible seasons of Practice Squad service.
Four of the ten players can have up to two accrued seasons of free agency credit. Absent this exception, a player who has earned one or more accrued seasons would not be eligible for a Practice Squad unless the player spent fewer than nine games on a club’s 46-player active list in each of his accrued seasons. Source: http://nflcommunications.com/2014/08/19/nfl-practice-squads-expand-to-10-players/
Note: A credited season determines the minimum salary of a player with X numbers of credited seasons. An accrued season determines when a player reaches free agency. If a player at the end of his contract has 3 accrued seasons, he will become a RFA. If he has 4 or more accrued seasons to his credit, he will become an UFA. A player need 6 games to get credit for an accrued season; 3 games to get credit for a credited season. Games on IR count in the accrued season calculation but do NOT count in the credited season calculation.
Reminder – In order to be placed onto the Patriots practice squad, the player must first clear waivers.
This year practice squad players will be paid a minimum of $7,200 a week, an increase from $6,900 last year. $7,200 * 10 players * 17 weeks= $1,224,000. Each and every year a few players on the Patriots practice squad will receive more than minimum. In 2016 the Patriots ended the season with six players making more than the minimum:
* Darius Kilgo – $30,882.35
* Trevor Bates – $18,000
* Chris Barker – $15,000 – Barker had two raises in 2016. The first increased his weekly pay from $6,900 to $10,000. The last raise increased his weekly salary from $10,000 to $15,000.
* DeAndrew White – $10,000
* Tyler Gaffney – $10,000
* Woodrow Hamilton – $26,471
There were four other practice squad players who was earning in 2016 more than the minimum before their time on the Patriots practice squad ended.
On August 7, 2015 ESPN’s Dianna Marie Russini tweeted that “clubs can give signing bonus, salary guarantees, and roster bonuses to players on Practice Squad.” Only heard of one such instance of this actually happening in 2015 or in 2016 – Darius Kilgo’s last 3 weeks salary was fully guaranteed in 2016.
Here is the list of all practice squad eligible Patriots on the team’s current roster and the reason why they are eligible.
* C David Andrews (Two accrued seasons)
* DT Malcom Brown (Two accrued seasons)
* LS Joe Cardona (Two accrued seasons)
* CB Justin Coleman (Two accrued seasons)
* TE James Ferentz (Two accrued seasons)
* OT Cameron Fleming (Two accrued seasons)
* DE Trey Flowers (Two accrued seasons)
* DE Geneo Grissom (Two accrued seasons)
* DT Darius Kilgo (Two accrued seasons)
* ST Brandon King (Two accrued seasons)
* TE James O’Shaughnessy (Two accrued seasons)
* S Jordan Richards (Two accrued seasons)
* OG Shaq Mason (Two accrued seasons)
* Jamil Douglas (One accrued season)
* RB DJ Foster (One accrued season)
* CB Cyrus Jones (One accrued season)
* CB Jonathan Jones (One accrued season)
* C Ted Karras (One accrued season)
* WR Malcolm Mitchell (One accrued season)
* LB Elandon Roberts (One accrued season)
* LG Joe Thuney (One accrued season)
* DT Vincent Valentine (One accrued season)
* WR DeAndrew White (One accrued season and one practice squad season)
* G Chase Farris (One practice squad season and no accrued seasons with at least 9 games on 46-man roster)
* TE Matt Lengel (One practice squad season and no accrued seasons with at least 9 games on 46-man roster)
* LB Trevor Bates (No accrued seasons with at least 9 games on 46-man roster)
* FB Glenn Gronkowski (No accrued seasons with at least 9 games on 46-man roster)
* DT Woodrow Hamilton (No accrued seasons with at least 9 games on 46-man roster)
* WR Devin Lucien (No accrued seasons with at least 9 games on 46-man roster)
* DT Josh Augusta (rookie)
* DT Adam Butler (rookie)
* WR Austin Carr (rookie)
* TE Sam Cotton (rookie)
* OL Cole Croston (rookie)
* RB LeShun Daniels (rookie)
* CB D.J. Dean (rookie)
* OT Antonio Garcia (rookie)
* WR Cody Hollister (rookie)
* TE Jacob Hollister (rookie)
* DB David Jones (rookie)
* CB D.J. Killings (rookie)
* OL Jason King (rookie)
* LB Harvey Langi (rookie)
* OT Conor McDermott (rookie)
* CB Kenny Moore (rookie)
* OL Max Rich (rookie)
* DE Derek Rivers (rookie)
* DB Dwayne Thomas (rookie)
* S Jason Thompson (rookie)
* S Damarius Travis
* DE Corey Vereen (rookie)
* DE Deatrich Wise (rookie)
Please note that some of the above UDFAs may not be signed by the Patriots after their tryouts.
Players who were once on the Patriots roster sometime in 2017 who are eligible to be placed on the practice squad
1.) RB Tyler Gaffney (No accrued seasons with at least 9 games on 46-man roster)
2.) Tre’ Jackson (one accrued seasons)
NOTE: Chris Barker is ineligible to be placed on the practice squad because he has spend three seasons on a practice squad.
Some frequently asked questions about practice squad players:
Q: Does practice squad players pay count against a team’s salary cap?
Q: Do practice squad players get paid during the bye week?
Q: Can practice squad pay be guaranteed?
A: Yes. The last three weeks of Darius Kilgo’s 2016 practice squad salary was fully guaranteed.
Q: If a practice squad player is cut during the week, is he paid for the week?
A: If a player is on the practice squad at 4PM Tuesday, he will be paid for the week even if released before that week’s game.
Players who were once on the Patriots roster sometime in 2017 who are eligible to be placed on a practice squad but now on another team’s roster. Note that teams can not sign a player from another’s practice squad to place him on theirs. They can sign player to their 53-man roster
Current inactive Patriots ineligible to be placed on the practice squad
Please follow me on Twitter: @patscap
A call for a donation
A long-time family friend, my youngest sister’s best friend, is on the board of directors of a soup kitchen and food pantry in Malden, Massachusetts that provided in 2015 the equivalent of 1,030,000 meals to hungry, homeless and isolated people. I am asking that if you have found my salary cap pages useful that if you are able to do so, please make a donation to the Bread of Life soup kitchen/food pantry.
You can make a donation below by clicking on the Donate button.
I am hoping to raise five thousand dollars by the time the Patriots win their 5th Super Bowl. Please mention this website by typing in Patscap’s Drive for Five in the Purpose Field.
You can have a portion of your Amazon.Com purchases donated to the Bread of Life.
You can learn how to do so by watching a YouTube video at
If you have any corrections, suggestion, questions, and/or comments, please feel free to ask me a question on the PatsFans.Com message board or email me at patscap at cox.net
Please take me to the front Page of PatsFans.com.
DISCLAIMER: This site is strictly for informational and entertainment purposes, and is in no way affiliated with the New England Patriots or the National Football League. It also claims no rights to the trademarks of either the New England Patriots or the NFL.