PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Zen And The Art Of Draft Evaluation

manxman2601

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
This is an article I found written by Mile High Report at the time Josh McDaniels was to become the Broncos head coach and it contains a decent write up about how the Patriots grade players. The first part about the letter and number grades I’ve seen before and there have been a couple of threads here about them, but I don’t remember seeing this part:

‘This is not the end. In fact, this is merely the beginning - the Patriots then also grade the potential players from 1.0-9.0 in 3 different areas: major factors, critical factors and position skills. A 6.0 grade in any of these areas is the lowest that the Patriots will consider for any player. Within 'major factors' there are 7 subsections: personal behavior,athletic ability, strength and explosion, competitiveness, toughness, mental/learning (we know that McDaniels will not tolerate players who cannot learn quickly, as they just will not thrive in this system) and injury/durability. The categories and subsections that fall under critical factors and position skills are variable by position within the team. Beyond this, there is an extensive written manual on the attributes and qualities that are desired/required at each position. ‘

Zen and the Art of Draft Evaluation

Didn’t McDaniel draft Tebow.

At least Tebow won a playoff game. :D

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back