PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Zardnok down on the bayou

Status
Not open for further replies.
I selected Chris Prosinski with the final pick in this draft giving me a late round "Gem" at FS which will allow BB to trade away Merriwether for a first rounder next year.

My final draft class for the Patriots did not feature as much value as I expected, but that is perhaps some of my own doing for trading down in the first round and missing out on one of the "premiere" OT. I did score Ijalana in the middle of the 2nd, but it shifted my board down much more than I expected. I hit most of the high points, well maybe not WR, but I think I addressed the other needs and doubled up for value on 5-Tech when Jenkins slipped.

Hopefully I represented the Patriots well in our annual Saints Report "Experts" mock. So Pats faithful, grade my draft and let me know how I did. Could you live with this draft?? Is it too small school centric??

#22 Muhammed Wilkerson 5-Tech DE Temple
#28 Brooks Reed OLB Arizona
#33 Danny Watkins OG Baylor
#53 Benjamin Ijalana OT Villanova
#74 Jarvis Jenkins 5-Tech DE Clemson
#87 Shane Vareen RB California
#93 Jalil Brown CB Colorado
#125 Brandon Fusco C Slippery Rock
#193 Chris Prosinski FS Wyoming

I think you did a really nice job, especially with the way the draft was falling. I'd be happy with this draft, although as you say, a WR would have been nice.

You got a lot of board favorites, but to me this illustrates the perils of trading down in a top-heavy draft. You trade down to get better value, but your top picks (Wilkerson, Reed) are both probably reaches at 22 and 28 respectively. Ignoring the multiple opportunities to trade up, you could have stuck and drafted A.Smith and one of Wilkerson/Heyward.

Watkins is fine at #33 but he is 27 and his progress for his rookie year will be set back by not having a full training camp. Hard to justify someone that high who will be at least 28 by the time you get full value. Anyway, Boling is the ideal pick for the Pats on the interior and he was sitting there at #74.

As for RB, Vareen is fine but you could have again stuck at #60 and got Ryan Williams (a 1st round talent who slipped because of injury and a RBBC decision by his coaches).

My take is that you could have just kept your picks and pulled off a better draft. Some strategic trade-ups and it gets even better. Trade down in this draft and you end up reaching and settling...not what a deep and talented (though flawed in places) team needs.

That draft gets a solid B from me. Most positions of need are addressed. I won't quibble with the individuals selected too much but I feel Ijalana is more of a guard than a tackle to me. After taking Watkins that early, it sort of behooved you to get a tackle instead of another guard. Another receiver would have been nice but you were running out of picks.

I'm also not sure where Jalil Brown fits in for the Pats. McCourty and Bodden are returning so that's our starting outside CBs. We really needed more of a quick twitch nickelback type to compete with Wilhite and Butler who looked anywhere from bad to atrocious last season. ;-) Still I appreciate the effort. Good work.

I selected Chris Prosinski with the final pick in this draft giving me a late round "Gem" at FS which will allow BB to trade away Merriwether for a first rounder next year.

My final draft class for the Patriots did not feature as much value as I expected, but that is perhaps some of my own doing for trading down in the first round and missing out on one of the "premiere" OT. I did score Ijalana in the middle of the 2nd, but it shifted my board down much more than I expected. I hit most of the high points, well maybe not WR, but I think I addressed the other needs and doubled up for value on 5-Tech when Jenkins slipped.

Hopefully I represented the Patriots well in our annual Saints Report "Experts" mock. So Pats faithful, grade my draft and let me know how I did. Could you live with this draft?? Is it too small school centric??

Congratulations, I'm quite satisfied with this draft, I think both DL have the potential to reach All-Pro

I really like the draft. Reed has bigger fans on this board than me. Watkins will be 27. Jalil Brown we spoke about before. I like him. Late 3rd round, maybe not so much The D-lineman and Vereen make the draft in terms of value for me. Fusco, and Prosinski? All I can see is what I read on the web. I leave those evaluations for Box and DH. They certainly seem to have all the measurables, and solid evaluations from people that I trust... Thanks for sharing your picks.

I could probably pick some holes in that, but I'll be honest, that would be a superb effort. Excellent stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back