PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Your Top Impact player in this years draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinatony

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
From what I have read I would say B.J. Raji is going to help the defense of whatever team picks him. Curry could make the same impact but I guess it depends on what teams they go to.
Wonder what Raji would look like in a Pats uniform. Can we trade most of our picks and take both:)

Who your guy?
thanks

I go with Raji all the way. The stats may not be phenomenal, but whatever defense he's on will improve dramatically.

I agree without a doubt that Raji is the most NFL ready player in this draft. I'm not sure if he will be the best overall in this draft 3 years from now. Does that make sense?

Forecasting a defensive impact player as a rookie before the draft is premature. My defensive impact player for the 2008 season wasn't the DROY. The kid whom I think of as an impact player was Phillip Merling of Miami. He played a key role as a 3-4 DE in helping turn a 1-15 team into a division champion. I didn't see much of Arizona, so I don't know what DRC did, but you'd have to look at the NFC Champions to see how he helped them. I'd give the two rookie CBs for Kansas City some love, for all that team's Herminating, they were a scrappy bunch who kept games close.

Raji is going to have his hands full with NFL OC/OG, Wilfork wasn't an impact player as a rookie, I'm not really expecting Raji to set the world on fire either. Linebackers tend to get noticed more and are more likely to wind up a DROY with their stats, Curry is the most likely guy to use his speed and smarts to run down a lot of RBs and get the big numbers, yet I'd hesitate to call him the impact player.

A good question to ask after the draft once we see what prospects are drafted into what situation.

Last edited:
Forecasting a defensive impact player as a rookie before the draft is premature. My defensive impact player for the 2008 season wasn't the DROY. The kid whom I think of as an impact player was Phillip Merling of Miami. He played a key role as a 3-4 DE in helping turn a 1-15 team into a division champion. I didn't see much of Arizona, so I don't know what DRC did, but you'd have to look at the NFC Champions to see how he helped them. I'd give the two rookie CBs for Kansas City some love, for all that team's Herminating, they were a scrappy bunch who kept games close.

Raji is going to have his hands full with NFL OC/OG, Wilfork wasn't an impact player as a rookie, I'm not really expecting Raji to set the world on fire either. Linebackers tend to get noticed more and are more likely to wind up a DROY with their stats, Curry is the most likely guy to use his speed and smarts to run down a lot of RBs and get the big numbers, yet I'd hesitate to call him the impact player.

A good question to ask after the draft once we see what prospects are drafted into what situation.

I'll stand by what I said earlier - I think BJ Raji will have the biggest impact of any player, and it will show up in the overall defensive performance, not in his individual results.. He won't have impressive stats, and he certainly won't win DROY, which will be based on tackles/sacks/interceptions rather than on disruption. He may struggle individually somewhat with NFL OC/OG, though I expect from how he did against Mack and Unger at the Senior Bowl that they will struggle with him more than he did with them. But even if he struggles he will create an immediate imbalance on the defensive line which will create opportunities for his teammates.

I'll stand by what I said earlier - I think BJ Raji will have the biggest impact of any player, and it will show up in the overall defensive performance, not in his individual results.. He won't have impressive stats, and he certainly won't win DROY, which will be based on tackles/sacks/interceptions rather than on disruption. He may struggle individually somewhat with NFL OC/OG, though I expect from how he did against Mack and Unger at the Senior Bowl that they will struggle with him more than he did with them. But even if he struggles he will create an immediate imbalance on the defensive line which will create opportunities for his teammates.
He could, but a lot depends on who drafts him.

He could, but a lot depends on who drafts him.

Name me one NFL prospect for whom that's not true. Any player can get sabotaged by the wrong organization, situation, or scheme.

Name me one NFL prospect for whom that's not true. Any player can get sabotaged by the wrong organization, situation, or scheme.
Which is why labeling a pre-draft prospect a 2009 impact player is just a bit of a stretch.

I think Raji is part of the hype machine. There is one every combine, pre draft workouts. It is too soon to say this guy is going to impact...I think in a couple of years Chung will be the next set of great secondary guys.

just my 2 cents

You may call me crazy but lookout for Vontae Davis who I think will become a very good,maybe elite player at CB in a few years.

Last edited:
The only reason why I say this is because they are the only too players I was able to watch every week during the college season. These too would be Brian Cushing and Maualuga. I've said this many times, Maualuga reminds me a lot of Ted Johnson. For instance, their both built like tanks and their strengths are being a brick wall defender against the run. Also, Maualuga lays such violent hits, your surprised these players are able to get up. However, Unless Maualuga has a great pro day, he will slip into the second round (like Ted Johnson).

* Taylor Mays would have been my first choice had he come out. I was really hoping the Pats could pair Merriweather with Mays. In fact, he would have been the perfect compliment to Merriweather style. It's beyond a lot of people why this kid didn't come out.

Last edited:
It has to be Aaron Curry. He's going to have a Patrick Willis type rookie season.

I have two as of Right now. Everette Brown DE/OLB from FSU, in a 3-4 I think he could improve a teams pass rush tremendously with his speed coming of the edge. The other is BJ Raji, I like him best as a 4-3 3 technique. I think he could provide a good pass rush up the middle. I also think he would be very good a Nose in a 3-4. If we were to trade up I would take Raji or Curry.:D

Last edited:
I don't know who will have the most impact as rookies but I think Rey Maualuga and Hakeem Nicks are going to be elite players. Totally a hunch but I think they will be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots