PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Your thoughts on Percy Harvin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Florida wide receivers, NO< NO< NO<NO< Never again.

Good thing the Patriots didn't draft Brian Griese or else they would have been scared off drafting Brady if that is a criteria.

Last edited:
Everyone has their own views and without trying to pick a lot of nits, I'll just say this... He's the most electrifying Gator player I've seen in the 20 years I've been watching Florida football.

The Florida WRs in the past that have been busts, do they have the athletic ability of harvin? I know they had production but if their athletic ability is no where near the ahtletic ability of harvin, then I think harvin should be a great pick.

I expect us to have two firsts and two seconds in this draft. I don't think that Harvin or Nicks is a reach at 23. I think that both are interesting additions. Also, return skills could be important to Belichick.

Last year, Watson was our #4 WR. We need to develop another wide receiver. Obviously, if Moss or Welker need to sit out a game, we need another receiver. Signing Harvin or Nicks to a five-year contract seems like a good idea to me.

Looks like Harvin was quite a star at the ProDay.

NFL Video Galleries
NFL Video Galleries

This kid kind of reminds me of a mix between Reggie Bush and Deion Branch - Bush's skills and Branch's attitude.

Also, the think with FLA WRs is a little overrated. BB has actually had moderate success with FL WRs - Gaffney and Caldwell as an example. And Chad Jackson was just an unfortunate mistake, quite a predictable one IMO.

I'd take him at 23 and we still have enough picks to get a good S and OLB.

Looks like Harvin was quite a star at the ProDay.

NFL Video Galleries
NFL Video Galleries

This kid kind of reminds me of a mix between Reggie Bush and Deion Branch - Bush's skills and Branch's attitude.

Also, the think with FLA WRs is a little overrated. BB has actually had moderate success with FL WRs - Gaffney and Caldwell as an example. And Chad Jackson was just an unfortunate mistake, quite a predictable one IMO.

I'd take him at 23 and we still have enough picks to get a good S and OLB.

Hmmm... not sure. Sooo many other needs to address, but I suppose he now has a good chance of being the best athlete available.

The health concern worries me with this kid. I wouldn't risk it.

Florida wide receivers, NO< NO< NO<NO< Never again.

We shouldn't just cut off a school because they've had busts in a certain position. You have to look at a player individually and project them in the NFL. You look at Harvin and his game speed against SEC competition and how he looks like he's in another gear than everybody else. We should look at the teams he is competing against and the players on those teams and how he stacks up against them. Being a WR, does he have enough speed to run by them? How does he do after he makes catches? Can he catch the ball? The other Florida WR busts shouldn't have anything to do with how we evaluate the current WRs coming out of Florida.

For what it's worth, another thing to look at is that Chad Jackson and every other busts before him were Spurrier players. Jackson played for Urban for one (2?) years, but he was originally a Spurrier player.

The Pats picked up Lewis and Galloway. Either should be an upgrade over Gaffney.

WR isn't a need, especially on Day One of the Draft.

I keep going back and forth on this guy. One day I watch his tape and I love his speed, his versatility in the running and passing game and think that he could be a fun weapon for Belichick and Brady.
Other days I think to myself that he played on a loaded team in a non pro style offense where most teams were focused on Tebow leaving Harvin to go crazy. I also sometimes have a hard time figuing out what his position is. Is he a WR that can also run, or is he a Kevin Faulk type player that can play WR.

I am not in love with anyone at 23 right now. All the guys I like would be considered reaches at 23, but not sure if Harvin is a guy I could add to the mix at 23. I need help to decide.

Playmaker for Games 1, 2 and 3.
Sits out game 4 with a toe injury.
Playmaker games 5 through 9,
Sits out game 10 with a slight shoulder sprain.
Playmaker games 11, 12 and 13.
Sits out games 14 and 15 with a slight quad pull.
Playmaker game 16.

If you can handle a guy that makes plays for 12 games a year and is injured for four games (at least ie: Ben Watson but with hands) then this is your man! Maybe Woicik can make him less fragile, but I doubt it.

The Pats picked up Lewis and Galloway. Either should be an upgrade over Gaffney.

WR isn't a need, especially on Day One of the Draft.

Well, if by Sept. of 2010, Harvin isn't going to be better than Lewis and 39 year old Joey Galloway, then we definitely shouldn't draft him in the first, second, or third round. My feeling, however, is that Harvin is already better than Lewis and is more dangerous with the ball in his hands than Galloway. Either way, he'll have a year to learn from Galloway, Faulk and Moss before potentially taking over many of their duties. He'd also be a good option as a return man. As I said, he can be a multi-purpose weapon like Reggie Bush.

Galloway is older than dirt and Lewis meh... I wouldn't draft someone in the first round. Robiskie would be my choice.

I agree with the Reggie Bush comparisons and would grab Harvin if he fell all the way to #23 provided there were still 2-3 legit OLB's available (meaning, if we felt we could get one of them at #34). Which is why it would be phenomenal to get Peppers for the #34. You land Peppers for that pick and end up having Harvin drop to #23, you've suddenly added two pretty dynamic players, one on each side of the ball.

While I think people are right to say WR isn't a need right now, it is a position I feel we need to start stocking pretty soon. Moss is bound to slow down, and Galloway and Lewis aren't wowing anyone three years from now. We need to do due diligence for this position, just not sure it will be in round one. The only WR I'd take in round one is Harvin.

Last edited:
Galloway is older than dirt and Lewis meh... I wouldn't draft someone in the first round. Robiskie would be my choice.

Galloway had 3 straight 1,000-yard seasons (all with Garcia at QB) before an ankle injury derailed almost all of his '08 season. Then TB decided to wipe the slate clean and a 38 year old WR doesn't fit in their plans. Galloway is your typical Pats FA acquisition: low-risk/high reward potential. I remember when the Pats picked up 32 year old Harold Jackson from the Rams in 1978. The majority opinion was that he wasn't the same player, but had 4 good to very good seasons with the team from 1978-81. Galloway's ankle passed muster and he should be a pleasant surprise with Brady throwing to him and lining up opposite Moss.

As for Greg Lewis, he entered the league as an undrafted FA in 2003. He didn't see much action until 2005, when he had career highs in REC and YDS, while starting all 16 games.

He began to garner attention when he caught a 30-yard TD pass from McNabb that brought the Eagles back into SB 39. His career playoff numbers are 9 / 180 / 20.0 / 1.

PROS:
- Has plenty of playoff experience
- is a deep threat
- he's a young 29 (little wear and tear)

CONS:
- was given a starting job at one of the WR spots in 2005, but failed to capitalize
- Has started only 4 games since the start of 2006 season
- Average size

Other Notes:
- In 2006, Lewis lost his job to newcomer Donte Stallworth (acq in trade) and Reggie Brown, a 2nd year player who was drafted 35th overall.
- In 2007, Lewis was buried in the roster behind FA Kevin Curtis, Brown, and Jason Avant, a 2006 4th round pick.
- In 2008, Lewis role continued to diminish as he was pushed down the depth chart when Hank Baskett (6'2" 220 lb), a big possession WR, got more playing time.

Questions:
- What happened to Lewis in 2005?
- Why did Philly feel the need to trade for Baskett and Stallworth, then later sign Curtis, and draft Brown and Avant?

Reason for Optimism:
Let's look at 2005. The Eagles epitomized the SB loser hex by falling to 6-10. McNabb played in only 9 games and journeyman Mike McMahon finished the last 7. Lewis couldn't have picked a worse year to become a starting WR.

Lewis has had 2 stellar performances against NE:
- Super Bowl 39: 4 / 53 / 13.3 / 1
- 11/25/2007: 4 / 88 / 22.0 / 2

Lewis is a potential steal, IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes