PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Your short list

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think free agency has worsened our chances of having a good player slip. People at the top are not going to be looking for QBs or RBs, so they may be taking those LBs and CBs we'd like.

Mainefan

That is a good point, I hope that is not the case but I had not thought of it from that angel. :(

1. Greenway
2. Lawson
3. trade down, jason allen

My top three:

1. Bobby Carpenter
2. Manny Lawson
3. Lendale White

The pick will be Carpenter

Mainefan said:
I think free agency has worsened our chances of having a good player slip. People at the top are not going to be looking for QBs or RBs, so they may be taking those LBs and CBs we'd like.

On the other hand, some teams at the top are going to be out of cap space for big signing bonuses, and may want to trade down to the middle of the 1st round.:D

For me, the value is at LB: Lawson, Greenway, Carpenter

I've cooled off on Lendale, and I think #21 would be too early for Marshall. There will be great CB and OL options at the top of the 2nd.

shirtsleeve said:
Ok, no trades to think about, here goes.

Now for the Mankins shocker. Jon Alston in the first. Guy will be just as good as Huff, but played OLB in college. Put him next to Rodney, Move Gino to corner and your secondary is set.
I proposed drafting Alston in another thread last week. As much as I like Jon, I think anywhere before round 3 is a bit early for him, but you never know with BB. Also I don't see him as a FS. I don't think he has the coverage skills necesary to play there. But he would be perfect as a SS. Generally SS are adequate in coverage but fierce in hitting and stoping the run. Jon is both the latter. Can he be the former?
IMO he could be an Archuletta clone at the very least. If he can improve his coverage to Milloy level (aka. mediocre) he could be a real find. The next step up it would be to have his coverage skills to Rodney Harrison level (aka. not great but slightly above average and a nose for the ball and big playmaking ability based largely on smarts and good knowledge of the system) then you have yourself a GEM.

Odlirama said:
I proposed drafting Alston in another thread last week. As much as I like Jon, I think anywhere before round 3 is a bit early for him, but you never know with BB. Also I don't see him as a FS. I don't think he has the coverage skills necesary to play there. But he would be perfect as a SS. Generally SS are adequate in coverage but fierce in hitting and stoping the run. Jon is both the latter. Can he be the former?
IMO he could be an Archuletta clone at the very least. If he can improve his coverage to Milloy level (aka. mediocre) he could be a real find. The next step up it would be to have his coverage skills to Rodney Harrison level (aka. not great but slightly above average and a nose for the ball and big playmaking ability based largely on smarts and good knowledge of the system) then you have yourself a GEM.

Funny, I read a couple of ratings on the kid and both said he excelled at coverage...I know thats for LB, but still,at 4.40 or 4.44, you gotta think that the coverage skill is transferrable in this case. With the proper teaching (think:Rodney), my guess is that it would be absolutely terrifying this season to go up for a ball across the middle!

shirtsleeve said:
Funny, I read a couple of ratings on the kid and both said he excelled at coverage...I know thats for LB, but still,at 4.40 or 4.44, you gotta think that the coverage skill is transferrable in this case. With the proper teaching (think:Rodney), my guess is that it would be absolutely terrifying this season to go up for a ball across the middle!
Yes I did read the same thing (PFW, and SportingNews, haven't checked the ESPN one yet) and that is exactly my concern. They judge his coverage ability from the LB position where he only has to cover RBs and TE and only for so long. The quetion is how will he do against WR. How are his hips. Can he rotate them? Butl like I said at worst he could be an Archuletta type and be kinda bad in coverage but it will be overlooked because of his hitting, run support and blitzing abilities. If he is as smart as the publications say then he could make up for any physical shortcomings in coverage by understanding the system and the position very well.

My short list

1. Manny Lawson
2. Mathias Kiwanuka
3. Tamba Hali

patchick said:
1a. Chad Greenway, LB, Iowa. I think he has a chance of falling to #21 as his measurables have been a little disappointing. Greenway is a smart, instinctive, experienced LB who played for Kirk Ferentz in Iowa. After Hawk, probably the surest thing in a deep LB class.

1b. Manny Lawson, DE/OLB, NC State. Like DeMarcus Ware last year, Lawson looks tailor-made for the 3-4 OLB position. 6'6" 240, with speed and quickness just a smidgen behind Deion Branch. Lawson has some learning to do, but unlike many tweeners he has played some LB.

I can't imagine that both of these players will be available at #21, but I think it's at least 50-50 that one of them will be. What's more, I see a pretty significant dropoff after these two players. There should be some good RBs available, but the RB class is deep and there's no urgency there. Ditto for tight ends and offensive tackles and safeties. I don't like any WR in the 1st. I'd be content with CB Richard Marshall or LB Bobby Carpenter. But on balance, I'd look to trade a up couple of slots for Lawson or Greenway, or trade down and maneuver to walk away with 2 of these players by the end of the 2nd: Marshall, Carpenter, Kam Wimbley, Daryn Colledge, Joseph Addai.
I agree very much, although I'd prefer your scenario two over one of the to you list at the top (I'd prefer to trade down to get Bobby Carpenter, and move up in the second to get Addai). Lawson is intriguing, and about 2 months ago I was high on him. I still like him, but I'd prefer Carpenter personally. Lawson is the better athlete, but IMO Carpenter is the better linebacker. And his relationship with Vrabel can only help. Plus, we can probably trade down a few picks and still get Carpenter, getting another pick to use to move up in round 2 to secure Addai or another RB.

I think that Jon Alston would be a good pick. IN the 3rd round. In the 1st, its a HUGE stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back