PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

You guys are gonna hate my Patriots first two rounds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thomas isn't worth a 1st round pick. As for Hardesty, I don't see the value in adding the RB there..not when you've still got issues at OLB, which SAPP is not in the NFL. He'll be playing SILB.

Sapp is under no circumstances or scheme an ILB in the NFL. He is too long and isn't a good enough player in space. More importantly, he is a waste there. His best skills are his first step, long arms, height, upfield speed, leaping ability, and open-field tackling. He can backpedal well enough for a 3-4 OLB, but not for an ILB. He is the prototype Patriots 3-4 OLB to me.

Last edited:
Sorry :)

1 - Demaryius Thomas. Great Wunderlich pushes me over the top to take a shot on a guy who has a lot to learn. Hopefully the worst case is he's usable but he has stud potential.

2a - Maurkice Pouncey. C, G, play him wherever, I like him and I think he can help us at either position.

2b - Ricky Sapp. Not sure which pass rusher I want but there seems to be momentum for him making it to this spot and we have to get some pass rush. Pencil in a different OLB if you prefer.

2c - Montario Hardesty. I'm tired of the 4 Horsemen. Hardesty runs hard and came out of the combine looking like a great athlete. He also doesn't have too much wear and tear on him.

I know, 3 out of 4 on offense and no DE. I just couldn't find a DE I liked after Odrick and wanted a little more upside than him at #22.

I don't hate it but the Pats can do better relative to need, I think.

1. D. Thomas. Love this guy! He should be a great, imm. impact player for some teams...just not the Pats with their complex reads for receivers. This kid has talent, size, speed and enough quickness to go along with exceptional hands. The foot injury lends itself to medical evaluation so that is a non-factor. Nevertheless, not the Pats' 22 pick.

2a. M Pouncey. Love this guy, too! He is a big, mauling, nasty tempered C/G
who could really add depth and one day he could take over for Koppen. Pats have bigger needs now, however. Pugh, C (Auburn) will come out next year and is at least as good as Pouncey. Pugh demolished Dan Williams, NT Tenn. this season singlehandedly as a non-redshirt junior. Pugh also handled Mt. Cody very well in the Aub-Ala game. Others will also be available in plenty of time to replace Koppen.

2b. Ricky Sapp, Clemson (6-4/252) I don't at all like Sapp for the Pats.
Sapp is a true one-trick pony: rushing the passer. He isn't able to get off blocks like an OLB needs too. This may lead to Sapp not being a 3-down LB, which means some teams will take him off their 1st round draft board. That said, Sapp rushes the passer like nobody else, with the possible exception of Jerry Hughes. He has a lightning first-step and the ability to change moves on the fly. But being a one-trick pony, Sapp isn't what the Pats need.

2c. M. Hardesty, TB Tenn. I know he is climbing in some boards and had a good Pro Day performance and some team may take him this high. But the Pats won't. Similar RBs will be available later on in the draft for better value.

So, pick 4 from the following list of players that should interest the Pats:
defense; Odrick, Misi, Dunlap, Norwood, Lane, Carrington,
Offense; Best, Gilyard, Veldheer, Spiller

I think and hope that if Spiller is somehow still there at 22 that the Pats take him. He is a bigger, stronger version of McCluster, and just as explosive. He would be ideal more as a WR/SlotR/in motion kind of player; with Spiller, the screen play would make a huge comeback for the Pats. There isn't a LB or CB (including Reveis) who could stay with him. Explosive.

Now if you would just consider interior linemen as being worthy of the first round!

Seriously, I agree that if Odrick is gone, offense seems much more likely. The second round seems to provide a lot of value at OLB. With Odrick gone, many would have us take graham, if he is even there, but after that it is offense.

I don't really hate it as much as you expect -- strange, given my long-time resistance to round-1 WRs. I'm OK with waiting until later for DE candidates, especially since Suh and Odrick are both likely to be gone. I'll take Deaderick AND Lissemore on day 3 instead.

Now if you would just consider interior linemen as being worthy of the first round!

Interior linemen in the first?? :eek:

Actually, I'm not totally opposed. I thought the Jets made a smart move taking Mangold, for instance. I like Pouncey a lot, too, though 6'4.4" is mighty tall for a center.

1 - Demaryius Thomas. Great Wunderlich pushes me over the top to take a shot on a guy who has a lot to learn. Hopefully the worst case is he's usable but he has stud potential.

2a - Maurkice Pouncey. C, G, play him wherever, I like him and I think he can help us at either position.

2b - Ricky Sapp. Not sure which pass rusher I want but there seems to be momentum for him making it to this spot and we have to get some pass rush. Pencil in a different OLB if you prefer.

2c - Montario Hardesty. I'm tired of the 4 Horsemen. Hardesty runs hard and came out of the combine looking like a great athlete. He also doesn't have too much wear and tear on him.

I know, 3 out of 4 on offense and no DE. I just couldn't find a DE I liked after Odrick and wanted a little more upside than him at #22.

Actually, if you switch out Hardesty, I don't think he goes in the second round, and put in DE Lamar Houston, I love this draft.

Last edited:
OK I don't hate it. I just don't think it's the right draft for the Patriots.

If I was going to take a WR in the 1st 2 rounds it would be Golden Tate, and I'd be nervous. If I were to take a RB in the 1st 2 rounds it would be Mathews and hope that I could trade Maroney for a 3rd rounder. Pouncey is fine but I'd go with one of the OT's later that can also play G.
This draft is deep at WR, RB and OL so I'd go after them later.

I'm not totally sold on Odrick. We do need a RDE and I'd look at a guy like Vince Oghobaase or Deaderick later.

Now Sapp and/or several others are what we need go after in the 2nd. Misi, Hughes,Edds,Graham,or Cunningham are all good prospects.

What we really need is another ILB. I would go up 2 or 3 spots and take McClain if we can or Spikes at the top of the 2nd. Put one of these guys next to Mayo and the middle of the defense becomes much better. Guyton is a nice backup to either ILB or OLB but we become a better D with either McClain or Spikes next to Mayo.

If I was going to take a WR in the 1st 2 rounds it would be Golden Tate, and I'd be nervous. If I were to take a RB in the 1st 2 rounds it would be Mathews and hope that I could trade Maroney for a 3rd rounder.
I like Tate too, I'd really like another big WR though. I guess Benn had a strong run today which moves him back up to be a little more interesting too as I want a big WR who can run.

What we really need is another ILB. I would go up 2 or 3 spots and take McClain if we can or Spikes at the top of the 2nd. Put one of these guys next to Mayo and the middle of the defense becomes much better. Guyton is a nice backup to either ILB or OLB but we become a better D with either McClain or Spikes next to Mayo.
I have a feeling we're going to have Mayo, Guyton, McKenzie inside this year. I kind of like Spikes but I think we could get him in the 4th round after that god awful run today.

I like Tate too, I'd really like another big WR though. I guess Benn had a strong run today which moves him back up to be a little more interesting too as I want a big WR who can run.

I have a feeling we're going to have Mayo, Guyton, McKenzie inside this year. I kind of like Spikes but I think we could get him in the 4th round after that god awful run today.

I keep forgetting about McKenzie when I line up the team in my mind. And he hasn't played in a year and after watching so many pro and college games it's hard to remember what he looked like. But now I feel better and maybe we can just draft 11 OLB rushers.:rocker:

Tate for me too.

The 5.1 run by Spikes was pretty aweful.

And what if he is a bust? What if he never gets his full speed from his foot injury? You've spent a #1 pick on a position that is not the top need on a BB team. What ever happened to building from the lines out? I think that Pats fans are spoiled rotten by the success of 2007. Yes that was hella fun to watch, but you don't NEED it to win. The Pats won 3 Superbowls without that kind of talent at wideout.

The D-FENSE needs an impact player a lot more than the offense does at this point. How many times was the Pats D able to hold onto a lead in the 4th quarter with just a few minutes left to go in 2009? Answer- NOT ENOUGH! They blew the most 4th quarter leads EVAH for a BB run Patriots team. Do you see BB going for it on 4th and 2 if he had the type of defenses of the 2001, 2003, or 2004 teams? I SURE DON'T!

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest. I like seeing great wide receiver play as much as the next guy. But sometimes the SEXY position is not the most IMPORTANT position on the field. JMHO.
Wow. Best post I've seen this offseason.

What if any player is a bust ? Thomas has a lower floor and higher ceiling than most #1 picks for the Patriots but until I come up with another option he's the guy I like. I think he gives us our best chance to make as seamless a transition as we can to not having Moss anymore in 2011.

Moss will likely be gone by 2011 if not before but I'm not sure Thomas is worth a 1st round pick, I'd rather take my chances by trading that pick down a few times and try to grab him in the 3rd round.

I like the Sapp pick. The others all have huge issues that I am sure BB will have a lot of concerns with.

Thomas isn't worth a 1st round pick. As for Hardesty, I don't see the value in adding the RB there..not when you've still got issues at OLB, which SAPP is not in the NFL. He'll be playing SILB.

In what world is Sapp an ILB? He's either a 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 DE. Maybe you're thinking of the wrong guy, because Sapp is as far from a SILB as you can get.

I like the Sapp pick. The others all have huge issues that I am sure BB will have a lot of concerns with.

Hardesty and Pouncey (especially if you project him as a G for a few years) are certainly Belichick type players. Hardesty has good hands, can run between the tackles and is excellent at picking up blitzes. Pouncey is the best (or 2nd best if you like Iupati) interior lineman this year who fits the size and scheme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back