PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WTF? - - Samari Rolle

Status
Not open for further replies.

notex

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3141124

BALTIMORE -- The NFL is looking into an accusation made by Baltimore Ravens cornerback Samari Rolle that an official called him a "boy" during Monday's night's 27-24 loss to New England.

"The refs called me a boy. No. 110 called me a boy," Rolle said in the locker room after the game. "I will be calling my agent in the morning and sending my complaint. I have a wife and three kids. Don't call me a boy. Don't call me a boy on the field during a game because I said, 'You've never played football before.' "

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Tuesday the league is looking in to the situation.

No. 110 is head linesman Phil McKinnely, a former player for three NFL teams during the 1970s and '80s. McKinnely, who played collegiately at UCLA, is black, as is Rolle.

The Ravens were demonstrative after the game about the officiating, especially on the final drive that led to Tom Brady's pass to Jabar Gaffney for the winning touchdown with 44 seconds left. After the touchdown, set up by a fourth-down defensive holding call on Jamaine Winborne, linebacker Bart Scott was penalized 15 yards for complaining and another 15 yards for throwing the official's flag.

"In a game of this magnitude, you don't make that kind of call," Rolle said. "Let the players decide the outcome of the game. You can crown them champions now. I'm not taking anything away from them. They are a great team. They're not asking the refs to help them, but it's just an empty feeling."

what on earth is that sentence doing in this article? how is them being black have to do with anything...dont get me wrong this isnt me just ranting over racism (im an irish-catholic bred bostonian in every sense of the word)

Furthermore...why is it always the refs? people are Freakin ******s these days..IMO the call could have gone either way, but the pats have had a number of bad calls against them in big games...The Gaffney catch was reviewed and confirmed wat more do they want?

Last edited:
Re: What the F***..Samari Rolle

sorry about swearword in title....just didnt get it...

If you don't know what race has to with with it, you need to get out more. NFL Live just made the same disclosure.

Because "boy" is considered a racial slur, and if the ref was white this would be a very different dynamic. Seems obvious to me.

The reason that sentence is relevant is "boy" can be derogatory on several levels. One is simply questioning the adulthood of a male. However, "boy" when directed at an African-American male by a Caucasian can be a reference to slavery. The pointing out both of them being African-American is relevant because there would an additional element to the term if it had been a Caucasian referee.

If you call a black man "boy" and you are white, you better have some hands, let's put it that way. Whatever the genesis of the racial connotations are, it's equivalent to the N word.

Regarding the penalty it was NOT questionable. It was CLEARLY holding. Not only was there the hold, but a missed pass interference call on #26 of the Ravens on the very same play!

Calling an adult black male "boy" is on par with, or worse than calling him N*****. Coming from a white official, it's an emormous story, ending with a prompt firing. Coming from a black official, it's a nonstory.

But I guess it was OK to call Brady "boy"

During the same rants by the Ravens about being called "boy" and that causing all their anger with the refs they made referance that the NFL officiates that way because they want "the Poster BOY" to win.

I'm assuming that poster boy is Brady

called me a little "Boy"

then he goes and complains about it like a B!tch...

grow up Samari.

"Poster Boy" is a good thing... "Boy" is a bad thing...

I think everybody just wants to nip this in the bud before it becomes an issue about racism instead of about professionalism.

The reason that sentence is relevant is "boy" can be derogatory on several levels. One is simply questioning the adulthood of a male. However, "boy" when directed at an African-American male by a Caucasian can be a reference to slavery. The pointing out both of them being African-American is relevant because there would an additional element to the term if it had been a Caucasian referee.
A white ref calling a black player "boy" would be newsworthy. That a black ref called a black player "boy" is not so newsworthy, albeit perhaps somewhat insulting. If a player is concerned about this in the midst of a heated contest, it's no a wonder they ended losing.

I suppose the ref could be spanked for goading the player, especially once the player started to complain. But for cripe's sake, get your head in the game already.

"Samari Rolle"

I think the drive thru sushi restaurant sells those.

"Poster Boy" is a good thing... "Boy" is a bad thing...

I think everybody just wants to nip this in the bud before it becomes an issue about racism instead of about professionalism.

No sh*t

Facetious
1. Cleverly amusing in tone

Bantering, Tongue in Cheek

Mr Professional

Seems to me we got jobbed way worse in Indy than the Ravens can even imagine themselves to have been officiated to death in Baltimore, even if they could point to one definitively bad call, like when the Indy DB was anally raping Randy Moss, giving him a reacharound, and Randy got called for Offensive Pass Interference.

But I'm not chiming in to offer that comparative, I'm chiming in to compare the Pats' (winners) discipline in the face of that, to the Ravens' lack thereof.

1) The calls were almost all good calls.
2) The "point of emphasis" about manhandling receivers apparently doesn't apply to Pats' receivers, until the very end of the game. You benefitted for three quarters. Be happy.
3) MOST IMPORTANTLY - what do we do in the face of adversity? We buckle down. We DID beat the Colts and the Refs. What did the Ravens do? Disintegrated.
4) After the fact, the Ravens players pointed to everything except their own performance to explain the loss.

Look: Samari Rolle's idiotic sidetrack on the black official calling him "boy" is bad enough. But you know who had no business saying anything after that game except "Oh my God, I am so sorry"?

Bart freakin Scott.

Are you kidding me? 44 seconds still left in the game, and he reacts to his frustration how? By dooming the Ravens' final hopes. All the Baltimore fans can say "whaaaah soooo close" about that final hail mary, but news flash, Baltimore: The way we were playing on D, it's likely you'd be playing in overtime, not lamenting bad calls, if Bart Scott doesn't throw a hissy fit, and in the process give away the game.

Baltimore got some bad bounces, and the calls went the Pats way in the 4th. But not inexplicably or unfairly so. Baltimore did not do everything they could to win. And the main culprit, to me, displayed that lack of discipline that lost them the game again in the interview.

Could you see Mike Vrabel pulling that stunt, and then pouting to the national media after costing the Pats a game? No and no.

That's lack of mental toughness and lack of discipline. Playing with intensity got Baltimore's vaunted defense a title in 2000, but since then, it has not been enough. It's a different model, I suppose, but data suggest that it's a high risk, high reward gambit to rely on unpredictable emotionality to carry you through a game or a season.

Look what the Ravens were all about:
- Sean Taylor, "family", win one for the gipper.
- "Wahhh the refs called the game wrong."
- "He called me boy"
- Everything except "What could we have done better?"

If they'd answered that last question at some point in the past, and came up with the answer "be disciplined in the face of adversity," the Pats might not be undefeated today.

Thank God that culture is more easily talked about than created, as it has been created in New England. It gives our boys (oops, our full grown men,) an obvious advantage in a league full of crybabies.

PFnV

Last edited:
Re: What the F***...Samari Rolle

Another case of dishing it out and not being able to take it. Hope you enjoyed that dish of "Raven Pie" Samari!

I hope there is a hand book out there for what is and is not a racially inappropriate term. I had no idea that "boy" meant anything other than referring to a maturity level, but I guess it isn't hard to skew its meaning into other meanings depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

Geez, I've been referred to as "boy" and didn't know that I was being attacked out of racial hatred. My shopping list just dropped by a couple names now.

Thanks Samari!

Another case of dishing it out and not being able to take it. Hope you enjoyed that dish of "Raven Pie" Samari!

I hope there is a hand book out there for what is and is not a racially inappropriate term. I had no idea that "boy" meant anything other than referring to a maturity level, but I guess it isn't hard to skew its meaning into other meanings depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

Geez, I've been referred to as "boy" and didn't know that I was being attacked out of racial hatred. My shopping list just dropped by a couple names now.

Thanks Samari!

This post is so stupid it makes my brain hurt.

Thanks Samari!

I don't know whether the ignorance of a couple of posters on this thread is a good thing or a bad thing.

I'm old (I lived through the 60's) so the fact that highly charged words are now not heard as so emotional from the younger generation can be viewed as simplistic or on the other hand that because of more integration that they no longer have the emotional charge.

Hopefully it is the latter

No sh*t

Facetious
1. Cleverly amusing in tone

Bantering, Tongue in Cheek

Mr Professional

Thanks Webster... I was worried your response would be mature. Big sigh of relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes