Would you make this trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeTedWilliams

RIP NEM
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
What if by the time 21 comes around, Williams, Hill, and Wimbley are gone?

We trade #21 and #52 to Houston for picks #33, #65, & #66 ?

On the "trade value chart" it would be 1180-1045 advantage to Houston so it is a concievable trade for both teams. Houston would get another 1st rd pick and the Pats would gain a 3rd rounder and move up in both rounds 2 and 3. But having the first pick in the second rd, and four picks in the third round including the first two? You could get some solid football players.

My dream scenario would be we make the trade and then pick:

33: Bobby Carpenter
65: Maurice Stoval
66: Maurice Drew
75: Charles Spencer
84: Greg Blue

That's an ILB/OLB, WR, RB/KR, G/T, FS/SS. The only one that seems to be a stretch from the mocks I've seen in Stoval some have him going in the 2nd rd, I even seen him going late 1st. But there is still a chance he could be there at 65.

I think Carpenter is a stretch to get to #33 but certainly possible. The only pick of yours I have a real problem with is Blue who could be had on the second day, possible the third day (meaning undrafted).

Yuck. Carpenter probably won't make it to 33. Drew and Stoval are pretty good in those slots. But Spncer and Blue seem like totally wasted picks - both in terms of their position and their fit into the Pats' system.

I think the Pats have a good chance to catch a slider at 21 - either Greenway, Lawson or Holmes.

Last edited:
bucky said:
I think the Pats have a good chance to catch a slider at 21 - either Greenway, Lawson or Holmes.
I would be shocked if they were all gone at 21. Shocked. How much the Patriots like them, who knows. Lawson seems like a questionable fit, the other two definitely interest me.

I wouldn't be shocked at all. I think there's a chance of a run on LBs in this draft similar to the run on WRs 2 years ago and DTs 3 years ago.

Remember when Ty Warren was supposed to be a 2nd round prospect? Then people started predicting the Pats would draft him at 21. Then it started to look like they might have to take him at 14 if they wanted him. And during the draft, they had to trade up to 13.

I wouldn't be surprised if Wimbley, Lawson, Hawk, Greenway, and Simms are all gone and the Pats actually have to move up a spot or 2 to get Carpenter, with SF breathing down our backs at 22 and the Jets lurking at 29.

bucky said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Wimbley, Lawson, Hawk, Greenway, and Simms are all gone and the Pats actually have to move up a spot or 2 to get Carpenter, with SF breathing down our backs at 22 and the Jets lurking at 29.
If that happens - draft someone else. I don't think LB is nearly as dire as some do.

bucky said:
Remember when Ty Warren was supposed to be a 2nd round prospect? Then people started predicting the Pats would draft him at 21. Then it started to look like they might have to take him at 14 if they wanted him. And during the draft, they had to trade up to 13.
DL do not equal LB on draft day. DL are far more highly coveted.

BelichickFan said:
If that happens - draft someone else. I don't think LB is nearly as dire as some do.

Who? Let's assume a run on LBs. Here's how the draft might go:

1.Bush
2. Mario Williams
3. Leinart
4. Ferguson
5. Hawk
6. V Davis
7. Young
8. Ngata
9. Huff
10. Cutler
11. Buckley
12. Lawson
13. Justice
14. Jackson
15. Holmes
16. Wimbley
17. Simms
18. Greenway
19. CB of your choice
20. Carpenter

Who do you take? The only options you have are CB or RB. Personally, I don't like either of these at 21.

BelichickFan said:
DL do not equal LB on draft day. DL are far more highly coveted.

Something similar happened 2 years ago with WRs. People were thinking Clayton, Evans, or both might be there at 21. But then Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, Reggie Williams, Evans and Clayton all were gone in the first 15 picks and Jenkens and Rashaun Woods ended up getting into the 1st round. This year it looks like LB is the value position of the mid-1st round.

bucky said:

1.Bush
2. Mario Williams
3. Leinart
4. Ferguson
5. Hawk
6. V Davis
7. Young
8. Ngata
9. Huff
10. Cutler
11. Buckley
12. Lawson
13. Justice
14. Jackson
15. Holmes
16. Wimbley
17. Simms
18. Greenway
19. CB of your choice
20. Carpenter

Who do you take? The only options you have are CB or RB. Personally, I don't like either of these at 21.

So if this happens would you make the trade? You don't have to agree with my picks, but I think that the vaule of having the first pick in the second rd and four picks in the 3rd rd (including the first two) outwieghs a late first rd pick and will net you alot of quality football players.

I would happy at taking my pick of the corners, with only one gone. Otherwise, trade down. There will be trade partners who want the value here, as you say at corner or running back.

Or we could take Hali or Kiwanuka, both on my first round board. Aren't they on yours?

bucky said:

1.Bush
2. Mario Williams
3. Leinart
4. Ferguson
5. Hawk
6. V Davis
7. Young
8. Ngata
9. Huff
10. Cutler
11. Buckley
12. Lawson
13. Justice
14. Jackson
15. Holmes
16. Wimbley
17. Simms
18. Greenway
19. CB of your choice
20. Carpenter

To answer your question, I would make that trade in a heartbeat. So much talent is going to be around in the 2nd and 3rd day.

The trade you propose sounds reasonable. However, I wouldn't feel right going a year without adding a Round One talent. I agree that you can't get enough 2nd and high-3rd round picks in a year like this. Whether to make this trade would depend on whether or not Belioli feel we NEED that 1st round LB.

Last edited:
FreeTedWilliams said:
So if this happens would you make the trade? You don't have to agree with my picks, but I think that the vaule of having the first pick in the second rd and four picks in the 3rd rd (including the first two) outwieghs a late first rd pick and will net you alot of quality football players.

Yes I would. But I would prefer to move up to 19 or 20, giving up a 5th or 6th rounder.

mgteich said:
I would happy at taking my pick of the corners, with only one gone. Otherwise, trade down. There will be trade partners who want the value here, as you say at corner or running back.

Or we could take Hali or Kiwanuka, both on my first round board. Aren't they on yours?

Hali and Kiwi are not on Pats list, but I do think they'll make excellent DEs in a 43 defense. I don't think Hali is agile enough to play in space and drop into coverage. Kiwi is more likely to make the conversion, but I wouldn't spend a 1st round pick on such a major project.

no because cromartie is better then anyone you're going to get at 33

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey