PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would signing Ty Law reduce the chances of us taking a CB at #7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I have to think the answer is a big YES.

No question Law isn't in his prime anymore, but such a pre-draft signing I think would indicate that there's significantly less pressure on the team to use the #7 pick - and a good chunk of change that might have been spent on Samuel - on a CB.

Signing Ty Law I would think would send Mock Drafters scrambling to remove McKelvin as the most likely pick for the Pats.

I'm not saying we're done at CB with a Ty Law signing, and I still think you'd see the team drafting a CB - but not at #7.

But I've long felt, as I've heard other "experts" say that the CBs in the draft are not top 10 material - and haven't really felt BB would go in that direction at #7 regardless (trade back to the teens, then yes - but not at #7). So for me, if Law signs, I'm thinking there's no way we see a CB as the choice at #7.

What do others think?

I will go as far to say that even if they do not sign Law, they will not be drafting a CB at #7 (and I'm guessing most people here save the DRC fan club, would agree).

I don't think it has any affect, but I never thought we'd take a CB at 7 anyway. We still need long term help at CB, and will draft at least one CB, maybe two. But never did I think we'd spend #7 on CB and I'm more convinced of it now.

I have to think the answer is a big YES.

No question Law isn't in his prime anymore, but such a pre-draft signing I think would indicate that there's significantly less pressure on the team to use the #7 pick - and a good chunk of change that might have been spent on Samuel - on a CB.

Signing Ty Law I would think would send Mock Drafters scrambling to remove McKelvin as the most likely pick for the Pats.

I'm not saying we're done at CB with a Ty Law signing, and I still think you'd see the team drafting a CB - but not at #7.

But I've long felt, as I've heard other "experts" say that the CBs in the draft are not top 10 material - and haven't really felt BB would go in that direction at #7 regardless (trade back to the teens, then yes - but not at #7). So for me, if Law signs, I'm thinking there's no way we see a CB as the choice at #7.

What do others think?

It was never a consideration to begin with because of 2 things.
1. They don't feel it a real desperate need and like their depth,
2. They feel there's talent at corner to wait until round 3 if they want and still get a player that could compete for a starting job.

PT55

Of course the answer is yes. It might go from 1% to .3%.

I guess it depends on how pessimistic you are:

I think the chance before signing Ty Law(if we even do) was already 0%. So in that case the answer to your question is no. You can't have a chance lower than 0% so signing Ty Law would have no impact.

However, if you think that beforehand there was a chance we drafted a corner at #7 (even a small one) then yeah I'd say it lowers that chance.

Let me set you guys straight. They were NEVER going to draft a corner at 7 anyways.

Let me set you guys straight. They were NEVER going to draft a corner at 7 anyways.

Thanks for "setting straight" the 6 posters before you, who all said the exact same thing!

I will flip if they draft a cb at #7 and more importantly if they don't seriously address LB and the pass rush.

Whats less than ZERO?

I'm sure everyone here knows that the vast majority of mock drafters have us taking a CB at #7.

I know everyone here - including myself - claims to know more than the majority of so-called experts who run mock drafts - but let's not go too far down the "there's 0% chance" bandwagon.

Obviously, the vast majority of mock drafts feel there's slightly more than 0%, prompting most of them to pick McKelvin coming our way.

And just as obviously, unless one of you is Bill Belichick, you don't have 100% certainty what's going to happen this weekend.

Last edited:
Whats less than ZERO?

It's a movie from the '80s staring Andrew McCarthy, James Spader, Jami Gertz and Robert Downey, Jr. based upon a book by the same name. The movie focused on the mess that drugs can make of your life. The book didn't go down that road.

I'm sure everyone here knows that the vast majority of mock drafters have us taking a CB at #7.

I know everyone here - including myself - claims to know more than the majority of so-called experts who run mock drafts - but let's not go too far down the "there's 0% chance" bandwagon.

Obviously, the vast majority of mock drafts feel there's slightly more than 0%, prompting most of them to pick McKelvin coming our way.

And just as obviously, unless one of you is Bill Belichick, you don't have 100% certainty what's going to happen this weekend.

All perfectly true -- although I think that the vast majority of "expert" mocks are skewed by the fact that they refuse to project trades.

Whats less than ZERO?

Less than zero in this context would be if the Patriots traded the #7 pick and Ellis Hobbs for a pick and drafted another position - the net at CB would have decreased.

A lot of mock drafts were printed in magazines months ago.

A lot of mock drafts were printed in magazines months ago.

Thanks for the breaking news.

Let me clarify - most of the mock drafts in the last week, as well as the last month, have us drafting McKelvin at #7.

I'm sure everyone's familiar with the great website 199overall.com created by a Patsfan member

Get the latest trends here:

http://www.199overall.com/?q=/taxonomy/term/5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing