PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would Brandon Pettigrew be a shock at #23?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I think you might be overvaluing the role of speed for big physical TEs to get open in the NFL. If you watch these TEs, it's rarely speed or even quickness that gets them separation--it's power, leverage, and body position. Perhaps more importantly, I think hands are a bigger problem than separation anyway for these guys and Pettigrew has great, reliable hands--that won't change in the NFL.

But what then makes him special? He's a great blocker. That's fine. But I'd rather draft Anthony Hill in the sixth than Pettigrew in the first - he's a better blocker, his hands are comparable to slightly better, and he's also slightly unathletic. Pettigrew's appeal is that he's supposedly the best combo blocking/receiving threat in the draft. Just over 100 catches as a 4-year starter makes me wonder about that. And we both know he's going to do nothing with the ball in his hands. He looks to me to be a better blocking, worse catching version of Dave Thomas.

First round TEs are basically big WRs. I don't see Pettigrew being as good as Graham, Stevens, Shockey, Olsen, or Miller (either or) when they were drafted, just to name some recent 1st & 2nd round TEs. For the life of me, I can't figure out why all these scouts are gaga over the guy. I wouldn't take him on Day 1.

But what then makes him special? He's a great blocker. That's fine. But I'd rather draft Anthony Hill in the sixth than Pettigrew in the first - he's a better blocker, his hands are comparable to slightly better, and he's also slightly unathletic. Pettigrew's appeal is that he's supposedly the best combo blocking/receiving threat in the draft. Just over 100 catches as a 4-year starter makes me wonder about that. And we both know he's going to do nothing with the ball in his hands. He looks to me to be a better blocking, worse catching version of Dave Thomas.

First round TEs are basically big WRs. I don't see Pettigrew being as good as Graham, Stevens, Shockey, Olsen, or Miller (either or) when they were drafted, just to name some recent 1st & 2nd round TEs. For the life of me, I can't figure out why all these scouts are gaga over the guy. I wouldn't take him on Day 1.

True. Pettigrew appears to be overrated and he doesn't show the athleticism that makes me think he will be something special. The Pats already got a very similar TE in Chris Baker. Why spend a 1st round pick on a copy of him?

I would not be totally shocked if he was drafted by us in round 1,I would be dissapointed if we did, but not shocked

We did it with Watson in 2004 in round 1 and Pettigrew is known to be a super blocking TE which we have not had since Graham left.

Would you be surprised to see Pettigrew drafted at 23?

I don't see him available by 34 so could he be a very small possibility at #23?

I would say we are stocked at TE with Baker,Watson and Thomas but you never know what BB is planning.

As noted earlier. Pettigrew ran a 4.85!!!!! He can not stress the deep seam and he can not seperate from LBers. Let someone else draft a blocking TE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes