PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would a kicker ever be worth a top 5 pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Patriot Guy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Let's say a kicker comes up one day that can kick 60 yarders like they were 45 yarders, has tremendous accuracy and his kickoffs go through the endzone every single time. Let's say he even punts as well. Would you use a top 5 pick on him?

I think I would. If you knew that you would get points if you could just get to the 45 yard line and your opponent would never start further than the 20, it'd be hard to say no to.

The top 5 pick is obviously a money situation though. The kicker would be by far, by far, by far the highest paid kicker ever. But just three years ago, Woody signed a 6 year, $30 million contract with Detriot making him the highest paid interior lineman ever. Two guards signed $50 million contracts this offseason, Davis getting a $16 million bonus.

So I could see it.

No, a kicker will never be a top 5 pick.

I think your questionl betrays a bias towards those who actually score points versus those who cause points to be scored.

A major upgrade to your O-line can have an extraordinary impact on your football team, even few though guards ever score a point.

I think that today's salary numbers reflect, for the first time in the salary cap era, the actual ratio between the importance of talent on your O-line and D-line and talent in skill positions.

Never a K, but I'm confident a P will sometime this century.

No, never. A K doesn't get enough field time.

The only way would be if a K could go that early was if he was such an amazing athelete that he could also play S, too... or both K and P.

Only if Al Davis was still picking...

I don't know about Top 5. I'd take a kicker like that at #7 or #8 comfortably. Call me crazy, if you want. :)

I don't know about Top 5. I'd take a kicker like that at #7 or #8 comfortably. Call me crazy, if you want. :)

This actually reminds me of a dream I had . . .

Phil Simms: "As Gostkowski gets ready to kickoff, you'll note that the Jets aren't even bothering to keep someone back to receive; they're just hoping Gostkowski will kick it through the end zone, rather than kicking it so a Patriot can down it inside the five."

Why would a kicker be taken in the first 5 picks?

What team would need a kicker that bad and not have holes elsewhere to fill first? I guess I am assuming that the 5 worst teams are picking and they have bad records for a reason. I can't imagine a team picking in the top five with a long term solution at QB, a solid offense with returning starters, and tops in defense.

Maybe if a team was cheap and didn't want to pay a skill player top pick money and had a deal with a kicker's agent to sign for very little.

Even then, what team can't make a deal to move down to get their kicker or what kinda need would exist for teams to scramble to take a kicker in the top 5?

Now, if the kicker can play QB. Say you take a Kordell Stewart, give him better size, great speed and a great arm with accuracy.. then consider using him as a kicker because (maybe) he can punt and kick (40 yarders) with no prob. Maybe.

In hindsight, would someone take George Blanda in the top five? Lechler? Ray Guy?

As someone said, only Al Davis!

Of course a kicker would be worth a top 5 pick - top 5 pick of the 4th round

I think you've described a guy who single-handedly (single-footedly?) would be worth 3-5+ points per game.

Somebody like that is indeed an elite player.

Lou Groza, the last of the original Cleveland Browns to retire, and a nine times Pro Bowl selection, was a starting offensive tackle between 1947 and 1959. A reincarnation might be worth a top 5 pick, but how often do people like that come along?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes