PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Words on things I watched, read & heard

I believe Cam is going through some major adjustments mentally. Cam was playing 'Hero' ball for most if not all his career..everyone else (besides maybe G-Reg) was just a prop. Not his fault, Carolina did him no favors with supporting talent.

He's now coming to team that preaches doing your job and relying on one another to get the job done. No more "Cam win the game alone" He is being integrated as part of the system and not THE system. This is a two way street, Cam has to adjust but the Pats also have to adjust to compliment Cams Strengths. Given the circumstances I don't think the Patriots had the time to do the proper grocery shopping (compounded with the effects of a shortened off-season and opt outs)

With that, you need the right pieces in place...including a defense that can get the ball back to him without giving up points. I am taking this year as a "getting to know one another" type of situation and the date isn't over. The next 6 games will dictate what happens next. If Cam keeps protecting the ball and improving incrementally..there's a good chance he's back with a few new toys to help him out a bit. If he regresses back to the multiple turnover, can't get a 1st down Cam - he'll be the forgotten Cam next year.

Speaking of G-Reg - for most of Cams career, He had a really good safety valve at TE. I believe if Asiasi can develop and/or we get a TE in here who can play...Cams #s would be a bit better.

He has his issues but you can win with his skillet...just need the right pieces. We're a few pieces short this year.

Just my very amateur 2 cents . Happy Thanksgiving y'all.

Last edited:
He has his issues but you can win with his skillet...just need the right pieces. We're a few pieces short this year.

Just my very amateur 2 cents . Happy Thanksgiving y'all.
"A few pieces short"? It's way more than a few. The whole WR position needs to be revamped. A new long-term solution needs to be found at QB. DL needs to be revamped. They need to find humans who can play TE in the National Football League. Their LB corp is a mess and an aging Hightower (if he returns) isn't the answer. The OL is fine but needs more depth, like every other NFL team. They seem to be set in the secondary, at RB and on special teams (although Folk isn't a long-term answer at K and Gunner needs to go).

"A few pieces short"? It's way more than a few. The whole WR position needs to be revamped. A new long-term solution needs to be found at QB. DL needs to be revamped. They need to find humans who can play TE in the National Football League. Their LB corp is a mess and an aging Hightower (if he returns) isn't the answer. The OL is fine but needs more depth, like every other NFL team. They seem to be set in the secondary, at RB and on special teams (although Folk isn't a long-term answer at K and Gunner needs to go).
Do not disagree. I think you can win with Cam and draft the next guy.

I think you can win with Cam and draft the next guy.
His shrinkage rate on final drives is 80% --- one success in 5 opportunities
He's managed 1 WR TD completion
His run game prowess is merely a myth at this stage of his career
His lack of short pass touch is visible on every attempt
His passing mechanics are suspect
His reads at the LOS have been criticized.

On the plus side, he's a snappy dresser and the Newbury Street boutiques must love his business

His shrinkage rate on final drives is 80% --- one success in 5 opportunities
He's managed 1 WR TD completion
His run game prowess is merely a myth at this stage of his career
His lack of short pass touch is visible on every attempt
His passing mechanics are suspect
His reads at the LOS have been criticized.

On the plus side, he's a snappy dresser and the Newbury Street boutiques must love his business
In other words the offense hasn't improved since late last season? Got it. We should do something about that...

To recap my lengthy post : Cam is adjusting - Pats need more help on both sides of the ball - If Cam can continue improving he prob has another season or 2 under helm with a better supporting cast. If he regresses back to turning the ball over multiple times ..he's gone.

Ps... I don't care how he dresses.

To recap my lengthy post : Cam is adjusting - Pats need more help on both sides of the ball - If Cam can continue improving he prob has another season or 2 under helm with a better supporting cast. If he regresses back to turning the ball over multiple times ..he's gone.

Ps... I don't care how he dresses.

Cam is what he is, which not a great QB. Even in his MVP season. Witness what Denver did to him in the Super Bowl. 18-41, 0 TD 1 INT. It's not as though he's in his 2d or 3rd year. He's not going to change appreciably. He's had a good attitude this season, and I applaud his effort, but I don't want to see much more of him.

Even in his MVP season. Witness what Denver did to him in the Super Bowl. 18-41, 0 TD 1 INT.
You mean the Denver postseason D that forced the GOAT into a 27-56, 1 TD and 2 INT performance?

As much as Cam is fun to watch, both on and off the field, I don't see him as a fit in 2021. I would rather see a vet FA (Brissett?) at QB. At least he has some experience in McD's system. Maybe draft a QB for the future. I like Trask, if he lasts until the second round. Physically big, strong arm, excellent pocket passer and very accurate. I am not a Stidham fan. I feel, while he has all the physical tools, he lacks that "fire in the gut" that all successful NFL QB's need.

As much as Cam is fun to watch, both on and off the field, I don't see him as a fit in 2021. I would rather see a vet FA (Brissett?) at QB. At least he has some experience in McD's system. Maybe draft a QB for the future. I like Trask, if he lasts until the second round. Physically big, strong arm, excellent pocket passer and very accurate. I am not a Stidham fan. I feel, while he has all the physical tools, he lacks that "fire in the gut" that all successful NFL QB's need.
I felt this way for a while now and think he's a possible replacement for Stid if things fall a certain way. Trask behind Cam makes sense for his sake imo. We'll see. The more I think about things the more I see Bill going with a Vet as opposed to a baby face like Wilson. If we're sticking with Cam I'd like a Trask, Strong, Ridder type in the 2nd-3rd.

You mean the Denver postseason D that forced the GOAT into a 27-56, 1 TD and 2 INT performance?
The difference being TB has a track record of proven superior play, while Cam has a track record of kinda sorta ok play (judging him as a QB not a RB). Also, TB would NEVER have turtled the way Cam did in that game.

I felt this way for a while now and think he's a possible replacement for Stid if things fall a certain way. Trask behind Cam makes sense for his sake imo. We'll see. The more I think about things the more I see Bill going with a Vet as opposed to a baby face like Wilson. If we're sticking with Cam I'd like a Trask, Strong, Ridder type in the 2nd-3rd.
While I obviously love Trask, he’s not mobile. I think BB wants to “get with the times,” so to speak, and get a QB who can make plays with his feet if all else breaks down.

Cam is what he is, which not a great QB. Even in his MVP season. Witness what Denver did to him in the Super Bowl. 18-41, 0 TD 1 INT. It's not as though he's in his 2d or 3rd year. He's not going to change appreciably. He's had a good attitude this season, and I applaud his effort, but I don't want to see much more of him.
Fair ..but the Denver D made pretty much all the qbs they played look terrible that year. I think he can improve here with a better supporting cast. When I say this I don't mean magically his awful throws to the dirt will dissapear, I don't think his footwork is magically fixed... This is essentially the same offense Brady was struggling mightly with late last season and arguably a part of the reason why he left. No one mentions this. Folks act like he took the drivers seat of a Lamborghini.

He also had about 1.5 months of actual "preseason" time and was shoved right into live fire ..in a whole new offense and situation. This is continually overlooked as well.

I think with able bodied Tightends - one or 2 playmaking WRs added and most importantly more time with the guys...Cam can be... "Just above average" Cam and be a great part of a revamped offense.

Also why people act like we need to choose between cam or drafting a new guy..we can do both.

While I obviously love Trask, he’s not mobile. I think BB wants to “get with the times,” so to speak, and get a QB who can make plays with his feet if all else breaks down.
We can only ****in hope so. I'd love to see him swing for the fences in his last chapter.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back