PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

With the 21st Pick of the 2006 NLF Draft the New England Patriots Select...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Water Boy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score

Sinorice Moss

All right. Hear me out on this for a minute. I have been pondering the draft for the past three months. The general assumption is the Pats will draft the best available LB (Greenway, Carpenter, Lawson) or RB (Williams, Maroney, White (prior to his hammy)) in round 1. There is also the CB Richard Marshall contingent.

With respect to the LB prospects, there doesn't seem to be a concensus "can't miss" first round pick. Lawson has the measurables, but does he have the skill? Greenway had the production in college but will it translate into the pros? Carpenter has the measurables and skill, but he's been labelled a head case.

With respect to RBs, I just don't see the Pats using a first round pick on this position. Corey Dillion will gain 1,000 yards next season... and you can quote me on that.

Although I like Marshall a lot, I think the Pats may not see him as worthy of the 21st pick.

Without a doubt, the Patriot's greatest area of need is WR. Right now the depth chart includes Branch, Caldwell, Brown and Bethel. Who is left in free agency who could solidify the WR corps? As I see it right now, barring a trade, the Patriots need to draft at least two WRs who have the potential to contribute immediately. I think Moss fits the bill in round 1. Yes he's a smurf, but he's fast, has good hands and runs crisp routes. He's arguably the most likely WR prospect to have an immediate impact in year 1. Adding Hass, Stovall, or Nance in round 2 or 3 could help round out the Pats WR corps.

This would give us a WR depth chart of: Branch, Moss, Caldwell,[Hass, Stovall, Nance], Brown, Bethel (assuming he's on the team)

Under this scenario I can envision a day 1 Pats draft that looks something like:

1. WR Sinorice Moss
2. CB Richard Marshall, WR Maurice Stovall
3a. WR Mike Hass, WR Martin Nance
3b. OLB Mark Anderson, Stanely McClover, Cogong

Ok. Let me have it.

Here's my problem with Moss: durability. He has no track record of production in college, so we can't judge how he would hold up under a major work load. Considering he is under 5'8'', that is a significant issue. Also, if we're drafting him in the 1st rd, we're taking him to be our #1 receiver. Is he really that? Do you think it's a good idea to have Branch paired up with Moss? Which one will get the tough catches over the middle? The answer is neither. Moss has talent but for another team that already has its possession receiver. An interesting thought but I have to pass...

I have no problems with going WR in round 1, but I don't like Moss, especially at 21. If that was the case, I would rather use the pick you're spending on a second WR to trade up a few slots for Holmes.

Moss isn't the reciever I like. But a good thought. I really, really, really dont like drafting recievers in rds 1 or 2. Either they are busts, or they come with heads the size of Rhode Island. Think about any high draft choices at WR who have made it in the NFL. Do you want that kind of distraction in your locker room, I dont. Besides, these high picks are for the fast tall type, or the burner. like Moss. These recievers dont fit our QB or our system.

You want a first round receiver? Hass. No one else is going to make that reach and he'll actually get the job done.

Now lets go draft Lawson.

I think Moss is the most likely of the first round WRs, but at #21? I dont think he's a first year starter. Remember, Branch was taken in the 2nd, and contributed in his first year in much the same way I would expect from Moss. To me with Moss, we're looking at early 2nd round value, not mid-first.

If you want to trade to #30 and target Moss, I'm okay with that. A bit of a reach, but I agree he will help our team. Just not at 21.

Last edited:
If we want Moss we can trade up from our second round pick and probably get him. I'm not in any mood to reach at #21 especially as there will likely be a good LB there and, quite possibly, Santonio Holmes too in addition to some interesting CB.

PonyExpress said:
Is he really that? Do you think it's a good idea to have Branch paired up with Moss? Which one will get the tough catches over the middle?

Ideally Caldwell would be our possession receiver. Under this scenario I would also be in favor of drafting a guy like Stovall or Nance.

shirtsleeve said:
Moss isn't the reciever I like. But a good thought. I really, really, really dont like drafting recievers in rds 1 or 2. Either they are busts, or they come with heads the size of Rhode Island.

Would that include Branch?

Box_O_Rocks said:
You want a first round receiver? Hass. No one else is going to make that reach and he'll actually get the job done.

Despite his projection as a 3rd rounder, I wouldn't be opposed to Hass in round 1 either, because I agree that I think he can get the job done.

FWIW, analyses based on past drafts do point to WR as the single riskiest position to pick in the 1st round. To take a receiver that high I'd have to be blown away, and Moss simply isn't a blow-you-away player -- or in kurt's terms "a consensus 'can't-miss'" pick."

I've been fully in the LB camp, and the hole at WR is gaping (I think the Pats' interest in Chad Jackson is legit), but on this rainy Sunday morning I'm thinking...

There WILL be a rarer talent than Moss available at #21. It may not be at the perfect position. But pick #21 in a strong draft is a major talent-grabbing opportunity for this team, and they're not going to blow it to fill a need. If no trade looks attractive and somebody like TE Leonard Pope is the best talent on the board, they take him and let Watson and Pope give opposing coaches nightmares for years to come.

patchick said:
To take a receiver that high I'd have to be blown away, and Moss simply isn't a blow-you-away player -- or in kurt's terms "a consensus 'can't-miss'" pick."

I agree. I don't think Moss has huge upside, I just see him as a legit late first rounder (in this draft) who could contribute in year 1.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Now lets go draft Lawson.

I hope Lawson is the real deal. How do you think he compares to Demarcus Ware?

If you saw the Fla State game and saw Lawson get taken out against the run in the 4th quarter, you would have your doubts about him. I don't think that he handles the run very well.

But, that could be coached if his willing to hit the weight room and get stronger..

Moss just doesn't look like a good pick at #21..... I don't really see any WR's as truly 1st round picks.... Jackson & Holmes are marginally 1st rounders.... At any rate, I don't see WR as a glaring weakness, needs shoring up and a proven #2 yes but we are not gonna invest #21 at WR for anyone but Jackson and he won't be there..... We'll be drafting a player at #21 NOT, I repeat, NOT a position because there isn't any reason to draft a position..... Remember: these are rookies and will not significantly effect the starting team. Also, somewhat forgotton in all this draft fever is we have many rookies on our team right now who are in front of these picks we all are looking at. Claridge, Gus Scott, Sanders, Hill, Wright, Childress, etc... Do you think they're all gonna be replaced by new rookies? I assure you they will not.....Look for the Pats to take the "best value player" at each pick, not address a postion per se.... 7-8 picks that the FO sees as valuable picks will make for a very, very intense and extremely competitive TC. My .02 cents:rocker:

kurtinelson said:
I hope Lawson is the real deal. How do you think he compares to Demarcus Ware?
Senior year statistics are very similar, Ware has more FF, Lawson has more PD, Ware has more solo tackles, Lawson more TFL. Lawson is an inch taller per NFL.com player page, and 2 inches taller per NFL.com prospect profile on Ware's draft. Both were/are considered skinny edge rushers. Lawson may be faster in a straight line and could be considered to have played against slightly stronger competition.

Lawson's height is going to help clog throwing lanes better, something BB loves and Willie was good for. I think an NFL training program will get Lawson up around the 255 currently listed on NFL.com for Ware. The difference is going to be coaching more then anything, Dallas' DC was a 4-3 man Parcells had studying the 3-4, if NE gets Lawson I expect he will come on and be a better overall 3-4 OLB with the experienced players and coaches working with him. Probably the most significant difference is NEM isn't building alters for Lawson...:p

PATSNUTme said:
If you saw the Fla State game and saw Lawson get taken out against the run in the 4th quarter, you would have your doubts about him. I don't think that he handles the run very well.

But, that could be coached if his willing to hit the weight room and get stronger..
I think the trainers will get him built up, but another thing to consider - a 4-3 DE works against the OT on running plays, were a 3-4 OLB will be working more often against TEs and FBs with Ty and Sey in the neighborhood to suck up the OTs.

One player I don't they will take if available is Tye Hill. Here's something I found at jsonline.com:

**** Corrick, an NFL scout for 30 years, reports on Tye Hill, a 5-foot-9, 183-pound cornerback from Clemson.

“Right off in the Senior Bowl, he was beat for a 30-yard TD. He wasn’t even close in coverage. I think he was in zone and he got turned and just looked awful. It looked like he blew the coverage when he tried to jump the route instead of playing zone techniques. He may have been guessing, but it should have been an easy play for him. All he had to do was stay as deep as the deepest and as wide as the widest. He showed some flashes of drive and close, but he also played with too much cushion. He needs to react to the ball quicker. He reportedly had a good week of practice before the Senior Bowl in man-to-man coverage, but he struggled in zone coverage in the game. He was a willing striker and tackler on pass receivers, but I never saw him hit on run support.â€

I know it was just a senior bowl game but Hill was supposedly weak in zone coverage during the college season as well, struggling with route recognition in zone and handling combos and switchoffs. You know Belichik talked about how he looks at what players did in certain situations, this senior bowl footage would be disapproved I think. The Patriots play this "deep as the deepest and wide as the widest" coverage a lot. Randall Gay was fabulous at it while Duane Starks really struggled. I can't see Belichik thinking a CB who is great at man coverage but struggles in zone as being a great fit for his defense.

Carny said:
One player I don't they will take if available is Tye Hill. Here's something I found at jsonline.com:

**** Corrick, an NFL scout for 30 years, reports on Tye Hill, a 5-foot-9, 183-pound cornerback from Clemson.

“Right off in the Senior Bowl, he was beat for a 30-yard TD. He wasn’t even close in coverage. I think he was in zone and he got turned and just looked awful. It looked like he blew the coverage when he tried to jump the route instead of playing zone techniques. He may have been guessing, but it should have been an easy play for him. All he had to do was stay as deep as the deepest and as wide as the widest. He showed some flashes of drive and close, but he also played with too much cushion. He needs to react to the ball quicker. He reportedly had a good week of practice before the Senior Bowl in man-to-man coverage, but he struggled in zone coverage in the game. He was a willing striker and tackler on pass receivers, but I never saw him hit on run support.â€

I know it was just a senior bowl game but Hill was supposedly weak in zone coverage during the college season as well, struggling with route recognition in zone and handling combos and switchoffs. You know Belichik talked about how he looks at what players did in certain situations, this senior bowl footage would be disapproved I think. The Patriots play this "deep as the deepest and wide as the widest" coverage a lot. Randall Gay was fabulous at it while Duane Starks really struggled. I can't see Belichik thinking a CB who is great at man coverage but struggles in zone as being a great fit for his defense.

The irony of your post was that the 30 yard TD was by Sinorice Moss.

Why we don't go WR in Round 1

Three biggest needs for the Patriots.

1.) A playmaker on the secondary.
2.) Nastiness on the OL.
3.) Depth at LB and WR.

In training camp last year, the plan looked to me like the Pats were trying to establish a 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 back offense. They had a ton of formations with Graham and Watson on the field together. Unfortunately the OL started the year with some issues and we had to keep a TE in to block. Then we lost Koppen and Light and then Graham got dinged up a bit. The whole plan went down the toilet.
Sometime between now and August, we need to make an upgrade or two on the right side of the OL, (provided Light is OK.) If the OL can gel and hold their own in 2006, we will see a ton of double TE formations from the Pats. If that happens the second WR will really function as the fourth pass option for Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back