PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Winter meetings/ Red Sox rumos thread

The Intimidator

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
The Winter meetings are coming up, and instead of making thread after thread about every single rumor put them in here. I will be keeping everyone up to date on the latest rumors. Stay tuned.

You got inside info ... if so cool ... :cool::cool::cool:.

Last edited:
Boston has requested medical reports on Mike Gonzalez, and will need to fill out the back of the bullpen for 2010. Abraham feels the Red Sox will invite about a dozen relievers to camp and see who performs well.

MLBTR

Via mlbtraderumors.com, Jason Bay reportedly wants to play for the Seattle Mariners. Take this with a can of Morton's Salt (not just a grain) though. Appears to be a case of "a source close to a Pittsburgh Pirates player says that Bay told his friend that he wants to play for the Mariners".

According to SI’s Tracy Ringolsby, the Angels have begun negotiations with Jason Bay. Ringolsby notes that the Angels prefer Bay to Matt Holliday and that “Boston officials are becoming concerned” with their chances of retaining their left fielder.

Source: MLBTR

Jayson Stark is tweeting that the Red Sox are one of many teams interested in Nick Johnson. Other teams interested include the Mariners, Yankees, Mets, Orioles, Giants, and Diamondbacks. The Red Sox’ connection to Johnson dates back to May, when Boston reportedly shot down a straight up swap of Johnson for Manny Delcarmen. Bill Ladson says the first baseman is seeking a two-year deal.

MLBTR

Earlier today, Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald tweeted that the Red Sox met with Escobar's agent Peter Greenberg, who also represents Rafael Soriano.

INDIANAPOLIS — Red Sox GM Theo Epstein said that the first day of the Winter Meetings had offered a chance to touch base with several agents and teams. Still, he suggested it was too early to tell whether anything might get done between now and Thursday, when the teams depart from the baseball convention.

Epstein said that re-signing Jason Bay is “definitely one of our priorities, certainly.” He would not say when the Sox will meet with Bay’s agent, Joe Urbon, but Epstein did suggest that a meeting would happen between the team and representative in Indianapolis.

The Sox GM also said that there have been few surprise names to emerge as available in the trade market.

“The landscape of available players is kind of what we thought it was,” said Epstein. “Now, we’re seeing a slow push towards execution.”

MLBTR

The agent for pitcher Justin Duchscherer, Damon Lapa, and the Red Sox met Sunday night at the Indianapolis Marriott, discussing the free agent hurler. Duchscherer, a Type B free agent, declined arbitration from the Oakland A’s, Monday.

The 32-year-old had made $3.9 million with the A’s in 2009, a season in which he struggled with clinical depression after having to rehab from operations on his hip and pitching elbow. In 2008 the righty had gone 10-8 with a 2.54 ERA, making the American League All-Star team, before being sidelined by a hip ailment similar to the one Red Sox’ third baseman Mike Lowell dealt before having surgery following the ‘08 season.

Duchscherer is believed to be ready for action from the outset of spring training, and has no interest in going back to the bullpen, where he made his first All-Star team as a set-up man for Oakland in ‘05.

MLBTR

The Red Sox "do not have serious interest in Rich Harden," Olney reports.

ESPN

It appears that Curtis Granderson is headed to the Yankees in a three team trade with Arizona & Detroit.

Sox and Scott Boras talking on "numerous" subjects, according to a baseball source. Matt Holliday is presumably at the top that list.

Gordon Edes

Curtis Granderson most likely heading to Yankees in mega-deal per espn.

Sources: Trade sending Curtis Granderson to New York Yankees nearing completion - ESPN

If this happens I feel we have to make a big move, Granderson will add so much pop to an already stacked Yankees lineup. F*ck!

I like it a little and Granderson should be able to put up some huge power numbers in that ball park, however, he hits for a low AVG and a low OBP. I think the Tigers made out the best in the deal with the prospects they got.

As for the Red Sox, I expect them to make a big run at Miggy Carbera now, possibly sign Matt Holliday and a get a 5th starter such as Rich Harden.

Earlier today, Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald tweeted that the Red Sox met with Escobar's agent Peter Greenberg, who also represents Rafael Soriano.

MLBTR

I like it a little and Granderson should be able to put up some huge power numbers in that ball park, however, he hits for a low AVG and a low OBP. I think the Tigers made out the best in the deal with the prospects they got.

As for the Red Sox, I expect them to make a big run at Miggy Carbera now, possibly sign Matt Holliday and a get a 5th starter such as Rich Harden.

Granderson is going to put up huge numbers in Yankee Stadium and all they gave up was a bag of balls and a couple of cracked bats. Yanks just got ALOT better.

Last edited:
Reliever Rafael Soriano has already given Braves GM Frank Wren trade clearance, tweets MLB.com's Mark Bowman. Wren said he's already had discussions with multiple teams. Soriano accepted the Braves' offer of arbitration last night, perhaps in an effort to skirt draft pick compensation.

The Orioles, Astros, and Red Sox appear to be potential suitors for Soriano, based on previous reports. Joel Sherman of the New York Post tweeted earlier today that the Yankees are not interested in trading for him.

MLBTR

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes