PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wimbledon

Ciara's Dad

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Tennis is not for me. I applaud the fitness and dedication of those who participate, but in general I couldn't care less who wins. When I was younger, I remember great matches involving Borg, McEnroe, Connors, Natase etc, but somewhere along the line, I grew bored of it. It could've been because of the advent of the big, powerful servers who, basically, served and volleyed. Point won. Next game. It could have been because there were no characters in the game any more. They were more like automatons than human beings. There is always an interest in what Sharapova is wearing,;) but I don't think I've ever watched her play.
So as I sat down tonight, the last thing I thought I'd be watching was a mens singles match on the centre court of Wimbledon.
The reason was, the match involved a Scotsman, Andy Murray from Dunblane, who was playing a Frenchman. It was for a place in the quarter final. I was paying scant attention to it as he was 2 sets to 0 down and struggling badly in the 3rd. From somewhere, he got his game together and went on to win the 3rd, 4th and 5th sets. It was riveting stuff. He must have been drawing strength from the hugely partizan crowd who cheered every winner as if it was the winning goal in a cup final. The Frenchman didn't like it a bit and kept complaining to the umpire. He then complained about the bad light and wanted the game stopped. The ref told the umpire to play on. Fantastic scenes as he won the point at match point! He is a very proud and patriotic Scotsman and he has the whole country behind him. I will certainly not miss his quarter final match.
Unfortunately for Andy, he has to play the Spaniard Rafael Nadal, the worlds No2 player.:eek: He coasted through his game today in 3 sets, although he had a minor knee injury. He should be a lot fresher than Andy when they meet.
Anyone for tennis?:)

Last edited:
Murray well beaten by Nadal. Overpowered doesn't come close to describing what happened the court yesterday. Murray was crushed by the fearsome Spaniard. It'll take something special to stop Nadal from winning the mens singles tournament. :snob:
On a happier note, the bookies were giving 6/4 for Nadal to win by 3-0. They were well stung! Almost everyone at my work had money this bet. :D

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back