PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will we trade out of the first round?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am supremely confident that we will either A) Trade out of the first round, B) Trade up in the first round, or C) Make a pick at 32. Go ahead and quote me on that.

D) Trade for a player? :p

Wait for the trade back for a tackle with the first pick lol.
WRONG! We will trade back, and draft a 6th round Special Teams Safety! Its BB's MO!

I am supremely confident that we will either A) Trade out of the first round, B) Trade up in the first round, or C) Make a pick at 32. Go ahead and quote me on that.

Someone clicked disagree...

Your idea went over his head like a rocket ship.

E) Miss making a pick at #32 in time and end up picking in the top of the 2nd round :eek:

My money is on no. I think they want an athletic playmaker at DL/DT, the safety position and TE ready to go Year 1.
Unless someone drops to us that Bill REALLY likes, I'd be fine dropping back up to 15 spots if it gets me either another pick in the top 1oo, or a more picks in the 2020 draft.

The talent difference doesn't exist in players between 32-45. We are going to get the same talent in any player in that range. The the only 2 reasons to keep the pick at 32 is because a guy you really like is there, OR that you want to control a guy 5 years. Historically we don't often use that 5th year option.

If it comes down to #32 and the draft board has a bunch of guys that they like, I think it's worth it to drop down a bit and pick up more draft capital.

If anything I think they are more likely to trade up than down. They only thing they might do is trade it into next year. They already have 7 pick in the first 4 rounds so they are for sure keeping all those players. Not to mention they usually keep at least 1 UDFA. And you never know if someone from rounds 5-7 will be a surprise and force themselves on.

That is 8-9 rookies who are making this team and they probably don't have enough spots.

If Daniel Jones is available at 32, I can see our drafting down, because we may get some good offers from pro-Jones teams.

In any case, we rarely trade up.
except for when we do. We trades up TWICE in 2012 in the first round and came away with Hightower and Jones

Unless someone drops to us that Bill REALLY likes, I'd be fine dropping back up to 15 spots if it gets me either another pick in the top 1oo, or a more picks in the 2020 draft.

The talent difference doesn't exist in players between 32-45. We are going to get the same talent in any player in that range. The the only 2 reasons to keep the pick at 32 is because a guy you really like is there, OR that you want to control a guy 5 years. Historically we don't often use that 5th year option.

If it comes down to #32 and the draft board has a bunch of guys that they like, I think it's worth it to drop down a bit and pick up more draft capital.
I think they are moving up.

They make these depth type signings in FA and sign/resign vets to give them flexibility in the draft. If there is a slide on a Dlineman they like I can almost bet they trade up and draft him.. If the BPA @32 is a corner or qb..they probabbly trade out and begin moving assets into next year.

Point is..we don't know really know until draft night and see the first 15-20 picks come off the board.

Imho.. There will be a Defensive End/ DT at 32 and they make the pick.

It's not too late to get it taken away by a scandal either.

Not this year.

We actually haven't traded out of the first round as often as is perceived.

I don't really count the trade for Cooks since the classic Belichick draft trade is for a good future pick; in 2017 we essentially drafted Cooks in the first round (and later got the pick back from the Rams).

Other than that the most recent time was in 2013 (which we turned into Collins, Ryan, Boyce and Blount!), and then you have to go back to 2009. So that's only one classic 'trade out of the first round' in 9 years.

If it does happen this year, since we draft at the end of the round, it could just be to move down a few picks, which despite the headline of "Patriots trade out of round 1 again" isn't that big a deal, except in affecting contract length.

If Lawrence falls to 32, I think bb pounces.

If Lawrence is off the board, then we probably trade down.

We actually haven't traded out of the first round as often as is perceived.

I don't really count the trade for Cooks since the classic Belichick draft trade is for a good future pick; in 2017 we essentially drafted Cooks in the first round (and later got the pick back from the Rams).

Other than that the most recent time was in 2013 (which we turned into Collins, Ryan, Boyce and Blount!), and then you have to go back to 2009. So that's only one classic 'trade out of the first round' in 9 years.

If it does happen this year, since we draft at the end of the round, it could just be to move down a few picks, which despite the headline of "Patriots trade out of round 1 again" isn't that big a deal, except in affecting contract length.
We basically got Hightower for Mark Ingram because Ingram was picked by New Orleans with the pick we traded them. He’s been a solid player but not a superstar by any means but Hightower is basically the QB of our defense.

They will stay at #32, or move up for offense. TE/WR/OL. If someone they love on defense really falls then I can see them going there, but defense should be cleaned out early, so I expect them to go offense.

They will stay at #32, or move up, for offense. TE/WR/OL. If someone they love on defense really falls then I can see them going there, but defense should be cleaned out early, so I expect them to go offense.
Everyone’s talking about trading up but Bill rarely does that. The cooks trade was to take Wynn. I guess if there’s a prospect he really wants but I doubt he will this time.

Everyone’s talking about trading up but Bill rarely does that. The cooks trade was to take Wynn. I guess if there’s a prospect he really wants but I doubt he will this time.

I’m thinking more about TE, if Fant or Hockenson fall to mid twenties I could see him packaging a pick to get them,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots