PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

will we have Bruschi for playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFanInNY

Rookie
Reaction score
I hope so, we need him and if he cant go, the D really needs to step up bg time and play some ball.

The Herald this morning is calling his injury a muscle "tear," which I gather is more serious than a "strain" and would be similar to the injury that limited Bruschi's effectiveness against Carolina in XXXVIII. Has anybody else heard anything about it?

Remember the big debate as Bruschi was contemplating a return to football (as if he ever doubted he would)? Two-thirds at least, thought he should stay out for the sake of his family and his own health. The second he got on the field, that talk disappeared and for a good reason. Now wrap up that friggin leg, Tedy, and get your whiney arse back on the field ! GOD ! What a WUSS !

Good Question .... no one knows at this point ... probably not even Bru himself.

Depends how fast he heals ... the extent of the injury.

The more time to heal the better. If he's marginal come the 1st play off game
I'd wait until the second game if there is one. If PATs play Jacksonville I
believe PATs can beat them with out Bru.

So he'd have about 2 weeks to heal before he'd have to start practicing for the
second Playoff game .... that's not much time.

we simply NEED him both against Jax or Pit

so: let's hope Tedy will be back...

PatsFanSince74 said:
The Herald this morning is calling his injury a muscle "tear," which I gather is more serious than a "strain" and would be similar to the injury that limited Bruschi's effectiveness against Carolina in XXXVIII. Has anybody else heard anything about it?

Typically a tear, microtear, strain, and pulled muscle are all the same thing, so don't put too much into weight into the exact words the Herald is using.

The comments noted in Tomase's article the Herald came from "players along the sideline" - please, they have no clue, so I do not take that info as meaningful at all. I prefer to use the information later noted in same article from "sources close to Bruschi did not characterize the injury as devastating, but more so as the nagging nature of calf injuries".

So, if you figure 13 or 14 days to heal, I think there is a very good chance he will play. That is my take anyway and that is as good as any other speculation at this point.

Last edited:
I will think only positive thoughts, I will think only positive thoughts, I will think only positive thoughts.....
There's no doubt that Tedy will play in the post season!

Digger44 said:
Typically a tear, microtear, strain, and pulled muscle are all the same thing, so don't put too much into weight into the exact words the Herald is using.

Yep, when you lift weights what you're actually doing is tearing muscle. Sounds awful when you say it that way, but it's true.

If he played in the Super Bowl after doing the same thing in the AFC Championhip then I think he'll be off Sunday and back for the playoffs. How effective will he be? That's the question.

I think we would all be crazy to think that he won't try to do everything he can to be on the field for the Wild Card game. Will he be 100%? Probably not. IMHO, it may not be a bad idea to have him suit up--but only play if absolutely neccessary if we play JAX. OTOH, if we draw PIT, he will have to play. no question.

Michael said:
Yep, when you lift weights what you're actually doing is tearing muscle. Sounds awful when you say it that way, but it's true.

Right on! So this type of doomsday lingo may not be a serious issue. All the reports say he walked onto the bus after the game. I don't think anybody would be concerned if BB rested Tedy so he could be fresh to run at #4 & 3 in a row.

The difference between the Carolina SB and the wild card game this year is that Bruschi had nothing to save himself for against Carolina. Try to play, hope for the best, and if you re-injure yourself, no harm done because there's no game next week. This year is more tricky. We could certainly use him against Pittsburgh, KC or Jacksonville but there will hopefully be a game the next week. So if he's not 100% and needs another week of rest, they may hold him out hoping to get a 100% Tedy the following week - when they'll hopefully have a game. The last time this wasn't a consideration.

We beat Pittsburgh ON THE ROAD in week 3, in the midst of losing Harrison and Light for the duration. Tedy wasn't even on the sidelines cheering for that one. Jacksonville here with a marginal backup or Leftwich pushing himself back into the mix is a matchup we should handle fairly easily. They basically staggered into the 6 seed by virtue of a hot start and a weak schedule once Byron went down.

By week 2 of the playoffs we will need Tedy at or near full tilt.

This is what Football Outsiders has to say, Will Carroll is a good injury guy so it's interesting to read :

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2005/12/28/ramblings/black-and-blue/3424/

"One phrase that comes up and is often confusing due to lack of context and explanation is “game shape.†As Tedy Bruschi was helped off the field Monday night, John Madden wondered if Bruschi’s comeback was “too quick to get him into game shape.†I’ll leave the making fun of Madden to Frank Caliendo and Scott Long, but this is simply ludicrous. Bruschi came back after a stroke in large part due to his incredible physical conditioning. He’d been playing in games for several weeks until this injury and in none of those was his “game shape†questioned after the first couple and only then because people were a bit scared about the possible downside of this comeback. Game shape has no intrinsic meaning. It’s merely a convention of saying that a player is capable of the broad range of functions required at his position, a set of skills that is far different for Bruschi than it is for say Tom Brady or Richard Seymour. Some NFL players might be morbidly obese by some standards, slow, or even medically disabled; when they’re in the lineup, they’re in game shape. As for Bruschi, there’s no truth to the rumor that the Pats will say that “it’s only a flesh wound†this week. Bruschi got legwhipped by Mike “TD†Vrabel during a punt and appears to have some type of deep bruise on his lower leg. He wasn’t limping at some points, yet was reported to be limping as he got to the bus afterwards. Sources tell me that the injury was never even considered to be a fracture and that Bruschi is likely to play just enough to test the leg in Week 17."

Neil Rackers, the Cardinals kicker, suffered the same injury with a slight tear. He missed one week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down