PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will we draft a LB in the first round?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinatony

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
We all know LB,DB are the 2 biggest needs with WR being a close third.
Do you think BB will draft one? Please NO T.E. in the first.

What do you think he will do?

If we don't sign a UFA at ilb, I can see us taking P.Willis. But, if we sign L.Fletcher and TBC. I would focus more on db's.

our draft is all going to depend on if we sign TBC, samuel.

i think we need depth at LB either way and the draft looks like a good way to do that. And a playmaker in the 1st round would be GREAT

DB remember we will have a fully healthy harrison, wilson, gay, tebuckey jones, mel mitchell back and hopefully samuels...also have hawkins, scott, willie andrews, spann. so dont necessarily need to spend a 1st rounder.

i like picking up a WR and a LB in the first then going for some DB depth in later rounds and also picking up an OT

Maybe. I don't think an ILB will be picked in round 1, but if there is a top DE/OLB available it is a possibility. Overall I expect a LB on day 1 and on day 2 but would be mildly surprised if they take one in round 1.

I think he will draft the best player available amongst the LB's or DB's in the first round I would be surprised if we select a Wide Receiver with one of the first round picks but that just depends on who falls in the draft and how high they are on the Pats draft list.

Tony,
We're going to draft for value -- that's it. At #24, we're hoping to draft a future starter -- not necessarily an immediate starter. Gotta give the rookie some time to develop. Rodney, Bruschi, Troy aren't getting any younger...and two years from now, who knows if they'll even be with us. So their replacements will be strongly considered via this draft (or FA). Then there's the question of contracts...who on the current roster may be gone for the $$$, next season or a year later? And lastly, what about performance evaluations? Any of the starters not getting it done? All of these questions are factored into the Pats selections -- there's so much for BB/Pioli to consider...

Do you think BB will draft one?
Not very confident we'll draft a pure LB (with our first pick). If I had to name 3 positions, I'd say CB, S, DE/OLB. There seems to be strong value at the DB positions...meaning, one may slide to #24. At DE/OLB, maybe a pass rushing type like Abiamiri, who has some upside to remain on the edge. Then there's Spencer, who I wonder if he can convert inside.

Please NO T.E. in the first.
Of course yo do know that the top 2 TEs declared. :D

Haven't a clue...;)

TE? That's interesting because it is conceivable the no TEs are off the board when we pick at 24.
Miller and Olsen (despite the high # of drops this year) could make this enticing for BB. However neither can ever hope to block as well as Graham and neither can stretch a defense with a deep seam route.

The better choice is to resign Graham (a team captain? I ithink I saw him in the captain circle before a game this year.)

I like your comments Seneschal2 ..
If I had to name 3 positions, I'd say CB, S, DE/OLB

So..if YOU were picking for BB; what 2 players would you grab in the 1st for us to help down the line.
There seems to a lot of talent this year for us to pick from with our 2 picks.

TE? That's interesting because it is conceivable the no TEs are off the board when we pick at 24.
Miller and Olsen (despite the high # of drops this year) could make this enticing for BB. However neither can ever hope to block as well as Graham and neither can stretch a defense with a deep seam route.

The better choice is to resign Graham (a team captain? I ithink I saw him in the captain circle before a game this year.)

I doubt BB will take a TE with the SEA pick, if only b/c the likelihood of multiple TEs going between the Pats' two picks is very low. But I wouldn't put anything past TPTB (The Pioli and The Belichick): even TE/FB/DB/WR wouldn't surprise me (much).

[Note: I am not advocating that selection, just saying that I could see situations where TPTB thought it the best option to do so.]

Last edited:
Does anybody have a feel for how TE Thomas developed as a TE in his first year witt us.

I can't imagine BB running his 2TE monster offense without Graham (because of his versatility).

im thinkin we go DB,DE/OLB,WR in the first round maybe an OT?

never know ...draft is my favorite part of the year actually besides the playoffs...i love college football and i like seeing ncaa stars develop in NFL systems..

Does anybody have a feel for how TE Thomas developed as a TE in his first year witt us.

I can't imagine BB running his 2TE monster offense without Graham (because of his versatility).
I see Thomas developing into the best overall TE with a good off-season program and another year of experience. His hands are the best, his blocking matched Watson to start the season and has moved him ahead of Ben this season - he may never be Grahambo's equal, but he has a shot at that level. I'd say the Pats have two very good overall TEs in Graham and Thomas, with Watson being improved overall and a receiving breakout who needs to work on his hand catches and ball security in the off-season. I concur that Graham's leadership role has increased his value to the club and I hope the recognition helps him decide to stay here.

Yes Box, that's pretty much what I was thinking.

After watching San Diego target TBC on running plays all game long. (Why Martry didn't give the ball to LT fortty times yesterday, I'll never know) I think we have to look long and hard at securing 1 ILB and 1 OLB.

Although it still wouldn't surpirse me if BB took a TE at #32.

I think the Pats will go ILB on day 1 outside the first round. Bellicheck seems to value size at LB. Bruschi, Vrabel, TBC, Seau are all around 250 and up. That is something that is tough to get coming out of college. I have a guess on who they will pick. David Harris of Michigan. Here's a quick little report on him.

STRENGTHS
Has good size and a thick, solid frame...Had a great senior campaign...Tough and a hard worker...Is smart with good instincts for the game...Reads and reacts well and plays faster than he times...He excels versus the run...Reliable tackler...Has a excellent motor that never stops...Is a field general with outstanding intangibles.

WEAKNESSES
Has short arms and his body might be maxed out...Looks stiff in coverage...Timed speed is only average at best and he is not an elite athlete...Not much of a pass rusher and doesn't make a lot of impact plays...Has some durability issues...Has trouble disengaging from blockers...Struggles in space...Overall upside is limited.

Classic thumper in the middle who might be more of a backup or situational guy at the next level...Only started for two years in college but he saved his best for last and saw his draft stock soar in 2006...The type who isn't going to amaze you with his physical tools but he gets the job done on the field and was a big reason for the Wolverines turnaround this past season..

Many have said that he is an underrated player. He is also 6'2'' 251, he may need to add only a few pounds to play inside for us. He's projected on Day 1 and I think he will go around mid to late 2nd. Right near the Pats pick.

The Pats may not draft a LB at all if they decide to go after Briggs, which would move Vrabel inside. I personally don't like that move because Vrabel doesn't make as many plays when he starts at ILB and often cannot shed blockers. Just from what I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes