PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Marcus Cannon/Slater be on the team during 2019 season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StockingAnarchyNumber12

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Very curious as Slater is aging and Marcus Cannon has an out and I need to know your opinions on this for a discussion I am having. Google search obviously won't predict future and I prefer your opinions since this site is really reliable. Thanks in advance! :D

Anyone’s guess on both. Cannon is currently counting for the 6th highest cap hit on the team, but it’s not terribly unreasonable at approx. 7.5m, either. It really all depends on what Belichick’s bigger picture is for the OL, if someone like Wynn is going to be counted on for LT, if they plan on making a free agent splash or attempting to retain Trent Brown. Mostly, it depends on Belichick’s talent evaluation and whether or not he feels that Cannon is still earning his pay. While Cannon is somewhat unremarkable, he’s dependable enough and cheap enough to where I’m going to say that he sticks around for 2019–but he is benefiting from the young, cheap OL (LT to be determined).

Slater is still a core locker room guy, good special teamer, and is relatively cheap at around 3m a year. I think it all depends on his health and whether he wishes to return for another season. Taking it one step further, in the event that the Pats reach or win another SB, Slater may decide that he’s going out on his own terms and retire. Who knows.

Very curious as Slater is aging and Marcus Cannon has an out and I need to know your opinions on this for a discussion I am having. Google search obviously won't predict future and I prefer your opinions since this site is really reliable. Thanks in advance! :D

Slater is 50\50. He was pretty healthy AND effective this season so that may sway him into staying. Cannon in my opinion isn’t a lock to get paid a ton as he is somewhat injury prone.

The more interesting regarding Cannon is will Brown be back with Wynn waiting in the wings.

I think it would make sense to move on from Cannon and move Trent Brown back to RT. Brown can be inconsistent but overall I think he's good enough and probably won't command a lot of money. We drafted Wynn high and I do believe long term they see Wynn as a LT despite his small size.

I hope your right. Gotta keep a 42 yr old Brady on his feet.

Pats' ST tackle leaders 2018

Ebner: 13 ... 329 snaps (missed one game, knee) ... 7th most in the NFL
King: 12 ... 281 snaps (missed one game, knee)
Slater: 11 ... 303 snaps
Crossen: 7 ... 113 snaps (HS for 6 games, missed one with a hammy)

Ebner, King and Slater are all under contract through the end of 2019.

Slater will turn 34 next September, cap hit = $3.0m.
Ebner turns 31 next December, cap hit = $2.8m.
King turns 26 in June, cap hit = $1.4m.
Crossen turns 23 in April, cap hit = $600k.

From Jeff Howe's film review, which includes pass-blocking stats for TEs & RBs.

OL pass-blocking performance:

PLAYER .. snaps .. sks .. QBH .. prss .. flgs .. TOT neg .. neg/snap(%)

T.Brown .. 1089 ... 3.5 ..... 14 ...... 16 ..... 6 ...... 39.5 .......... 3.63%
Thuney ... 1119 ..... 2.0 ...... 8 ....... 9 ...... 3 ...... 22.0 .......... 1.97%
Andrews .. 1103 .... 1.0 ...... 3 ....... 3 ...... 3 ...... 10.0 .......... 0.91%
Mason ..... 953 ...... 1.5 ...... 5 ....... 4 ...... 3 ...... 13.5 ........... 1.42% **
Cannon .... 835 .... 2.0 ..... 10 ..... 14 ...... 3 ...... 29.0 .......... 3.47% ^

Waddle .... 342 .... 3.0 ...... 5 ...... 10 ...... 0 ...... 18.0 .......... 5.26%
Karras .... 171 ....... 1.0 ....... 0 ........ 1 ..... 0 ....... 2.0 ............ 1.17%

^ Cannon missed three games:
.. Wk2, calf (LOSS @JAX)
.. Wk7 & Wk8, concussion (Wins @CHI & @BUF)
..... Waddle filled in

** Mason missed two games with a calf injury:
.. Wk9, Win v. GBY at Gillette
.. Wk10, LOSS @TEN
..... Karras filled in

Could go either way, but I think that if the unfortunate occurs today, we could see a 2007 style remake... or, worse (or better depending on your thoughts going forward), a more pronounced rebuild....

Could go either way, but I think that if the unfortunate occurs today, we could see a 2007 style remake... or, worse (or better depending on your thoughts going forward), a more pronounced rebuild....

I doubt that the outcome of today's game makes a significant difference to the majority of the Pats' plans for the 2019 roster.

There’s going to be a 2006-7, 2009-2010 level of turnover in the roster this offseason.

I don't believe there will be. I think it will be the normal level of turnover. The Pats have 44 players signed currently. Yes, there are some big names that are free agents (Trent Brown, Gostkowski, Allen, Flowers) but some of the free agents never took a snap for the Pats like Schwenke and John.

I don't believe there will be. I think it will be the normal level of turnover. The Pats have 44 players signed currently. Yes, there are some big names that are free agents (Trent Brown, Gostkowski, Allen, Flowers) but some of the free agents never took a snap for the Pats like Schwenke and John.
But who gets cut due to high salary? Do guys like Gronk, Hightower, and McCourty potentially get shown the door?

But who gets cut due to high salary? Do guys like Gronk, Hightower, and McCourty potentially get shown the door?
1kzhcd.jpg

If Gronk doesn't actually retire, he could be "extended" one year to reduce his 2019 cap hit.
DMac could also be extended a year, as could Brady.

D. Allen could be extended 2 years to easily knock his cap hit down to $2.5m-$3.0m AAV.

Clayborn might be cut.

Hightower might be traded.

I think Cannon’s future depends on their injury concern. His ankle/foot area has been a problem for parts of a few seasons now, to the point where I wonder if maybe there’s a recurring issue without a long term fix.

If they think he can keep playing like he did today, then he’ll absolutely be back.

There’s going to be a 2006-7, 2009-2010 level of turnover in the roster this offseason.
There is, but I don’t think we should see that as a bad thing. After all, the years coming out of your examples were pretty successful, and I think there are some weaknesses and areas that can be improved upon.

A couple of good draft picks and a couple of good free agents would take us a long way, at least in my opinion. It will be an interesting offseason.

Yesterday showed us everything that is right with this team, Slater goes on his own terms, Cannon keep as he is more than adequate..

As far as changes go what we are witnessing right now is a complete change of philosophy from the days of "Two Way Troy" or the belief that they can coach up guys like "Tiquan".. that change is nice. Then there are some key pieces that make this team who they are.. need to resign Trey Flowers somehow..

Gronk & Hightower as good as they were yesterday may have played their last game at Gillette..

I keep pinching myself 8 AFC Championships in a row..

I think Cannon’s future depends on their injury concern. His ankle/foot area has been a problem for parts of a few seasons now, to the point where I wonder if maybe there’s a recurring issue without a long term fix.

If they think he can keep playing like he did today, then he’ll absolutely be back.

Cannon had a minor ankle issue at the end of 2011, his rookie season (missed time early while recovering from cancer treatments)
... did not appear on the injury report in 2012, and was active for all games.
... had shoulder and ankle issues in 2013. Sat two games and started six.
... had a minor hip issue in 2014, but was active for all games and started 4.
... broke a toe in 2015 and missed 4 games (started 8).
... had minor calf issues in 2016, missed one game and started 15.
... had a serious ankle issue last season, and appeared in only 7 games (all starts).
... missed one game early this season with a calf issue, and then two more with a concussion (Mason also missed two games this season with a calf issue).

Need to draft (Or sign) an O.T. By the sounds of it, D-Mac will need to restructure his deal in order to stay here. I think the time is right to draft (Or sign) a starting Tight End. Gronk will be 30 next season. Despite yesterday, he hasn't shown the same quickness he once did. Team desperately needs to upgrade the D.T position. Get the next Wilfork along side Flowers (Who I think must be re-signed). I think Burkehead will be released in the offseason. He's injury prone and is a redundant player. Jeremy Hill is more than capable of taking his place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes