Votes: 20 21.7%

• Total voters

Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Is there really a difference between a raw product who hasn't progressed from that stage in 3 years and someone who isn't competent at the position?
Sure. The raw product hasn’t proven he can’t grow into his potential. The failure has failed.
In other words would you rather get a great athlete who hasn’t figured it out yet and has had minimal opportunity or the guy ahi played and proved he sucks.

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reactions
Disagree dudes only 23 I'm not giving up Great move by the Cowboys 8 games don't make or define a young player like Lance. That said with a player like Mac we already know...we should have made a pitch for Lance.
Except he hasn't improved at all from year 1. Every bit the same raw project he always was except with 2 less years on a rookie contract. I wouldn't count on him ever reaching that potential. If he got a 4th rounder that's the floor for a Mac trade. The market is set. If the Pats can't get any takers for that then he's not going anywhere.

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reactions
Sure. The raw product hasn’t proven he can’t grow into his potential. The failure has failed.
In other words would you rather get a great athlete who hasn’t figured it out yet and has had minimal opportunity or the guy ahi played and proved he sucks.
There are no signs that he can either. You'd think in year 3 there would be by now. Far more likely he's a bust. And got a 4th rounder anyway so the market is set.

PatsFan2

Hall of Fame Poster
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Except he hasn't improved at all from year 1. Every bit the same raw project he always was except with 2 less years on a rookie contract. I wouldn't count on him ever reaching that potential. If he got a 4th rounder that's the floor for Mac. The market is set.
8 games in two years is filed away in the unknown category for me.

PatsFan2

Hall of Fame Poster
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
There are no signs that he can either. You'd think in year 3 there would be by now. Far more likely he's a bust. And got a 4th rounder anyway so the market is set.
Market is set Mac will hear crickets.
Dead Silence GIF by Studios 2016

Real fan 02

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reactions
yanking him with 2 minutes to go, with a shot to win also says no.
Agreed, more likely it was an emotional reaction in the game. But... Mac is the most viable option.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reactions
Accurate

So this is the real question. Who's fault is it for the 2022 and 2023 **** shows at the Qb position?

I believe BB had questions about Mac after the 2021 season and wanted Mac gone after the 2022 season. Bill was motivated by Kraft to keep him and invest in an OC and the WR position. We can debate if those were 1/2 measures by Bill out of spite or just bad GM-ing. Probably both as he didn't see it worth resources investing in Mac or Zappe because his evaluation was already done.

Either way...Bill the GM missed on a critical 1st rd pick and/or was ineffective standing up to his owner and telling him he needed a different QB as Mac was not going to cut it. If that is true Bob meddling in roster decisions is very bad.

No matter how you spin it. Belichick is responsible for the roster. So it is on him. If Kraft forced Belichick to keep Mac as the starter (which we have no idea if that is true), it was on Belichick to make sure Mac wasn't a liability. That would mean give him a good offensive line and not just bargain shop and get him the best receiving talent possible. He let Hopkins walk when he didn't really get much from the Titans. He failed to get a third down receiving back which has been the hallmark of this offense since Faulk.

Boston Boxer

U.S. Air Force Retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Yes, no, maybe?

Ostensibly he's not that good... but he is better than both Zappe and Grier...

Does he start?

Do we really have a choice but to start him?

②⑦
i don't see him being that much better than Zappe. Mac might have more experience, but Zappe gets the ball out quicker and has a better arm (for the record, i have a better arm than Mac). The starting QB for the Patriots is not on this roster.

PatsFan2

Hall of Fame Poster
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Agreed, more likely it was an emotional reaction in the game. But... Mac is the most viable option.
The only reason I want to see Mac play is because he will find a way to make us lose to the Hopeless Giants #1 overall here we come. :)
Happy Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

denverpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
It's astounding that fans here are still making excuses for Mac Jones.
He needs to ride the bench for the rest of the season.

Boston Boxer

U.S. Air Force Retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Yes, no, maybe?

Does he start?

②⑦
what we can ALL agree on is RLKAG, QPT

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reactions
Yes, no, maybe?

Does he start?

②⑦
I think so.

Belichick's philosophy has always been to play the best or least-worst he has at every position.

And, yes, he thought that Jones was done for the day, and that we had no chance for win with him at QB.
===============
I do understand that many of you want us to lose to the Giants. In that case, Zappe is the better choice.

Real fan 02

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reactions
The only reason I want to see Mac play is because he will find a way to make us lose to the Hopeless Giants #1 overall here we come. :)
Happy Ice Hockey GIF by NHL
Oh don't get me wrong my man.. he's the most viable option on a team with NO option at the position. This season of all would have been a prime opportunity to be in the hunt had we had adequate play at the QB position. Go figure this.. every opposing QB this season we've played has been better than ours.. WOW!

PatsFan2

Hall of Fame Poster
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Oh don't get me wrong my man.. he's the most viable option on a team with NO option at the position. This season of all would have been a prime opportunity to be in the hunt had we had adequate play at the QB position. Go figure this.. every opposing QB this season we've played has been better than ours.. WOW!
Yeah he's that bad Mac could will us to the #1 overall.

Lagaffe_07

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
It's astounding that fans here are still making excuses for Mac Jones.
He needs to ride the bench for the rest of the season.
Wouldn’t surprise me if he is the emergency QB. If you change the starting QB, I am not sure you want him breathing down the starter neck. Same thing with him and Cam in 2021

denverpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Do you want a shot a Caleb and Maye or what??
Pretty sure Zappe will lose just as many games.
Not sure 3-wins gets us that 1st pick either so it won't matter.
Bears, Giants, Panthers will all have worse records.

PatsFan2

Hall of Fame Poster
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Pretty sure Zappe will lose just as many games.
Not sure 3-wins gets us that 1st pick either so it won't matter.
Bears, Giants, Panthers will all have worse records.
Bears own the Panthers pick so it depends on how they feel about Fields no pun who I would love to have. The Panthers could win two more games maybe three. The Bears can win some games if Fields come back.

SammyBlueCat

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reactions
Do we have a choice?

Stu Pidassle

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reactions
The fact that the staff was so down on Zappe and never truly addressed the backup QB spot this summer is just pure negligence.
You might not like the results, saying the team did nothing to find alternatives at QB is laughable. Remember how many QB's were brought in after releasing Zappe? At the end of the day Mac regressing and Zappe proving that he is not a viable backup is the real issue. How many teams would look good with QB3? The biggest impact of the MP/JJ experiment might be waiting another year to find out that Mac's ceiling is too low to be a starter in the NFL.

Patriots News 3-3, Jackson Released, Salary Cap Grows 
Saturday Morning Notebook 3/2: News and Notes
Patriots Part Ways With CB J.C. Jackson
Friday Afternoon Patriots Notebook 3/1: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 2/29: News and Notes
Wasting Their Time? Bill Belichick’s Final Year Ends With a Poor Grade by NFLPA
Wednesday Afternoon Patriots Notebook 2/28: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s 2024 Combine Press Conference 2/28
Tuesday Afternoon Patriots Notebook 2/27: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Director of Scouting Eliot Wolf’s Press Conference 2/27