PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will anyone watch the XFL this weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will definitely be watching....I love football....any football and should be decent competition

I was confused and did a wiki search on XFL.

Vince McMahon started XFL in 2001 and it failed within a year.

Vince McMahon started the new XFL in 2020.

I wonder what he figured out in the 19 years in between?

This is tricky to discuss without going off the rails, but obviously Vince is trying to take advantage of the "climate" of the country now.

The XFL will try to be insanely patriotic. In their view, the anti-Kaepernick league.

I'd guess it won't succeed, but I have been very wrong on a similar issue in the past 4 years.

I may set the DVR and scan through it. My DVR is like my Mt Everest though. I don’t have any time to watch more television.

its more probable than not that I will go to a St Louis Battle Hawks game. Not sure why every one is so against it. It will probably suck but it should be entertaining enough and tickets are cheap.

The double forward pass could be a lot of fun.

For the Pats, having Sanu and Edelman passing could've made for some neat shenanigans this past season, if maybe they were healthier and younger and there was actually a third guy on the team who could've caught said pass.

Curious to see how the punts, kickoffs, and PATs work too.

I'm gonna give it a shot, something to keep me occupied (football wise) until the combine. Also, the best players from that league may make it back to the NFL. So it wouldn't hurt to look at the best, most explosive offensive players in that league, since that's what the Pats need the most.

I gave the AAF a shot, and enjoyed it. I'll probably give this a shot. However, I have my concerns...

1. I understand why new leagues use the Single Entity model, and I endorse it. What I don't care for is Single Entity combined with a Single Owner. This is why the AAF folded, because one day, the owner woke up and decided he'd had enough. Vince needs to attract new owners/investors ASAP.

2. I'm skeptical that this will work in NFL markets. I could see the team in St. Louis working. I think it's notable that AAF teams in places like Orlando and San Antonio and San Diego drew fairly well, while teams in Atlanta and Phoenix/Tempe struggled.

3. Are fans in places like NY and DC really going to go watch a brand new outdoor football league in February? I have my doubts.

I love football, so I am sure I will watch some of it. They have 2 games both Saturday & Sunday.

I watched that league last year that failed. I was even planning on going to the playoff game when I was in Orlando.

Why don’t we ever get one of these teams?

I loved the Boston Breakers of the USFL and I was not happy when they moved. I found the USFL worth watching.

This isn’t must see TV, but it sure beats what else is on TV.

I would rather listen to the game on the radio than watch today’s sitcoms.

I'll be watching paint dry in my living room while counting ceiling tiles....

I think they would have a better chance if they rode the wave of discontent during the anthem controversy. That has pretty much died down now. If another big controversy blows up this season though, many will have a place to defect to.

I'll be watching paint dry in my living room while counting ceiling tiles....
That must be one fancy mobile home! ;)

I'd guess it won't succeed, but I have been very wrong on a similar issue in the past 4 years.
A rare moment of honesty regarding the putrid Jete! o_O:eek: This XFL thing must pose quite a dilemma for you: On one hand you might be tempted to watch football without feeling depressed or envious, on the other hand it would detract from the only time of year you genuinely can enjoy being a Jete fan. Decisions, decisions ...

Is the league just starting out? I wonder why the lines are so high on a couple/few of the games, and how they even manage to set the spread?

It has one thing going for it. Goodell isn't the commissioner.

I don't know that the commish of the XFL, Oliver Luck, will be any better. He couldn't be worse but he could be as bad.

I'm still wondering what's going on with Pacific Pro Football, the league for non-NCAA players that Brady's agent is supposed to be forming. The last I heard is that they're starting in July of 2020. I like the idea of that league more than one full of NYFL rejects.

I may watch a bit. I truly think another league if done right could benefit the nfl. Having some of the guys who go to camp but dont break through playing more football is a good thing. NFL doesnt get it right with talent all the time. Look at a guy like Raheem Mostert he has been on like 7 teams and personally I think he solid NFL RB with talent but could have easily fallen through the cracks. What other gems might be out there that are a step slow or perhaps a tad undersized etc.

But I also agree with what others have said as it relates to these teams being in the same markets where the NFL is could struggle. It almost needs to maybe follow a minor league model or perhaps target big time college FB towns with no pro teams, maybe even featuring some guys from the college team that were stars but dont have a real NFL shot.

Would you guys watch if it there was a team affiliated with the Patriots? Like a feeder team of guys who might be in camp next year? I think I would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes