PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wide Receivers depth chart

I think the feeling is Meyers is not a difference maker, doesn't play special teams, and will likely command a salary next year beyond his value for these reasons.

I don't think it being Meyers dismissed as much as I see it that the Patriots might decide to move forward the inevitable a year early, if someone like Nixon looks ready to step in.
I'd agree he's probably not a difference maker, though year 2 with same QB and he's into his prime years so I could still some more growth still.

My real point though is everyone isn't a difference maker but he's been a very solid and consistent WR for 3 years now.

I'd rather not trade him even if that means he walks at the end of the year. Mac should be given every weapon we can give him let's not subtract.

I think the feeling is Meyers is not a difference maker, doesn't play special teams, and will likely command a salary next year beyond his value for these reasons.

I don't think it being Meyers dismissed as much as I see it that the Patriots might decide to move forward the inevitable a year early, if someone like Nixon looks ready to step in.

I agree with this and would add that Myers is not fast (low ceiling). I think the Pats have signaled that they need to create more downfield plays in order to create more space underneath. Myers does not add speed to threaten the defense over the top - he had a couple of "over the shoulder" throws, but the opposing defenses will risk those if they can play 5 to 10 yards closer to the line of scrimmage. Agholor is similar in that he is not fast if he is your "fast guy". Parker is a better possession receiver than we had in '21, Thornton replaces Agholor and Nixon replaces Meyers, only because both stretch the field and open up everything underneath, not because Meyers is poor.

Note that 1) the Pats unexpectantly selected Thornton in R2 2) selected Strong in R4, and 3) and spent most of the mandatory mini-camp (according to report from the news outlets) emphasizing the deep ball. All of this indicates the Pats think we need more downfield speed than the receivers we already have, hence the dismissive thoughts towards Meyers and Agholor. It is not personal - I like Meyers too - but the Pats, IMO, think we need speed and Thornton and Nixon would provide that. Strong and Smith provides the speed from the RB and TE positions.

Julian Edelman had 5 seasons over 700 yards receiving in his career. All with the GOAT and he had 5 Training camps and seasons to get up to his first.

Meyers went over 700 yards 2 out of his first 3 seasons with 2 different QBs who were not the GOAT

Only Meyers and Edelman have gone over 700 yards for the Pats twice in the last 10 years

Agholor - Bourne - Parker - Meyers - BoneyT are our top 5, barring injury.

If Agholor's traded because the other 4 plus Nixon & Wilkerson are kicking azz, then terrific... I would wait until the end of TC to make that trade, however., just in case they aren't... would've done the same with Sony Michel last year too...

The first over-paid stiff who Really needs to go in order to free-up cap space is Godsmack... Do we save $5M or $2.25M by sh!t-canning him?

Myers is the one that goes because he isn't a difference maker. He is a guy that is being covered by a LB or by zone defense. Teams are not worried about him He 8snt scary with the ball in his hands.

Sure. Myers can find the soft spot in the zone, occasionally get open against man, and get to his spoy..spot...but these are not differentiators.

He also is making like 3 million and could have trade value.

Let's see how TC shakes out

I don't understand why people just dismiss Meyers. He's gotten better every year in the league. He's done his job with a different starter each year too.

Parker needs to show he can do it in our system and hopefully be a little healthier but we know what Parker can do too.

Likewise with Bourne he's done it for two teams now and will be going into year 2 of our system.

None of this requires much projection if they just play like they have for years then WR will be one of the better position groups on the team.

Also let's just say that Agholar can be useful just not likely worth what we pay him. Let's just call him a back up.

The projections come from what can Thornton, Nixon, and Wilkerson contribute? Or some pipe dream that Harry can do anything. Leave Harry out of it and that's 3 guys for the 5th or 6th wr spot and with one of them being a high pick it's not crazy to expect a decent amount of contributions from them. Possibly enough where 1 or 2 could beat out Agholar.
I don’t think that fans are truly dismissing Meyers. Personally I like him as a reliable “move the chains” guy, but ideally that should be as a WR3 or WR4. We need more explosiveness at the top end of the WR chart. Here’s hoping that Parker stays healthy while Bourne continues to develop and that some of the young guys (Thornton, Nixon) emerge. Let’s see what happens with Agholor also.

Last edited:
I'd agree he's probably not a difference maker, though year 2 with same QB and he's into his prime years so I could still some more growth still.

My real point though is everyone isn't a difference maker but he's been a very solid and consistent WR for 3 years now.

I'd rather not trade him even if that means he walks at the end of the year. Mac should be given every weapon we can give him let's not subtract.

I agree with this. Meyers is a nice player, but as One-If-By-Sea points out, Meyers lacks speed, so he probably has limited upside.

You need players like Meyers to build a team. But next year when he's a UFA I don't think the Patriots are expecting to pay what Meyers will command.

They only keep 5 WRS plus Slater. They can still trade Agholor, but if Nixon is a keeper, and there are no injuries, Meyers is the most expendable.

I agree with this. Meyers is a nice player, but as One-If-By-Sea points out, Meyers lacks speed, so he probably has limited upside.

You need players like Meyers to build a team. But next year when he's a UFA I don't think the Patriots are expecting to pay what Meyers will command.

They only keep 5 WRS plus Slater. They can still trade Agholor, but if Nixon is a keeper, and there are no injuries, Meyers is the most expendable.
I’m glad that he just signed his 2nd rd tender. I’d like to keep him long term on a team friendly deal if he’s willing to do that. It’ll be interesting to see the Pats approach with this…they’ll be taking some long, hard looks in TC at WR.

I agree that Meyers appears to be the most expendable WR of the group, but I don't think he will command the contract, or the trade value, that we imagine.

Meyers' statistical output puts him in a peer group with the likes of Jarvis Landry, Sterling Shepard and Zach Pascal. Landry, the most lauded of the group, is making a modest $6 million this year, and his ceiling is arguably higher than Meyers'. Presuming Meyers is at or near his ceiling, he's not particularly fast and may be a system dependent player, around $6 million is probably near the peak of his earning potential, unless some team like Jacksonville gets stupid.

Likewise, I don't see a player like this generating much more than a day 3 pick, especially with only one year on his deal. At that point, I think he has greater value here, even if his role is a crutch for a developing QB, than the return would be worth.

I agree that Meyers appears to be the most expendable WR of the group, but I don't think he will command the contract, or the trade value, that we imagine.

Meyers' statistical output puts him in a peer group with the likes of Jarvis Landry, Sterling Shepard and Zach Pascal. Landry, the most lauded of the group, is making a modest $6 million this year, and his ceiling is arguably higher than Meyers'. Presuming Meyers is at or near his ceiling, he's not particularly fast and may be a system dependent player, around $6 million is probably near the peak of his earning potential, unless some team like Jacksonville gets stupid.

Likewise, I don't see a player like this generating much more than a day 3 pick, especially with only one year on his deal. At that point, I think he has greater value here, even if his role is a crutch for a developing QB, than the return would be worth.
Why would you be sure that a guy who made marked improvements /every/ year is at his peak? Especially when he's had to do it with 3 different QBs (one of whom was a complete trainwreck). I'd much rather see them ship Agholor out, a guy who HASN'T shown he can succeed in this system and keep the guy who HAS. Plus, it leaves more room for TT to get on the field.

Why would you be sure that a guy who made marked improvements /every/ year is at his peak? Especially when he's had to do it with 3 different QBs (one of whom was a complete trainwreck). I'd much rather see them ship Agholor out, a guy who HASN'T shown he can succeed in this system and keep the guy who HAS. Plus, it leaves more room for TT to get on the field.

Who is going to trade for Agholor? If the Pats can find a trade for Agholor then that would be great, but what are the chances? If we are going to trade someone (I doubt we do) it will have to be someone another team wants. Sounds like Meyers to me, the guy with a low ceiling (TDs and YAC are non-existent) and in the last year of the rookie contract. Hard to trade the guy who hasn't shown he can succeed - that is why BB signs 1 or 2 year deals.

Looks like more people here are starting to realize how ineffective Myers is.

The minority of defenders weirdly point to his stats (which are very mediocre) and badly argue how he’s been good.

Who is going to trade for Agholor? If the Pats can find a trade for Agholor then that would be great, but what are the chances? If we are going to trade someone (I doubt we do) it will have to be someone another team wants. Sounds like Meyers to me, the guy with a low ceiling (TDs and YAC are non-existent) and in the last year of the rookie contract. Hard to trade the guy who hasn't shown he can succeed - that is why BB signs 1 or 2 year deals.
The Bears and Ravens could use an Agholor. The problem w/ Agholor is his $10M cap hit for whoever takes him (we keep $5M in dead cap). Bears have plenty of cap space but still $10M is a lot.

The Bears and Ravens could use an Agholor. The problem w/ Agholor is his $10M cap hit for whoever takes him (we keep $5M in dead cap). Bears have plenty of cap space but still $10M is a lot.

Not sure the Ravens and Bears agree with you.

Looks like more people here are starting to realize how ineffective Myers is.

The minority of defenders weirdly point to his stats (which are very mediocre) and badly argue how he’s been good.
19th most receptions in the league is not ineffective.

Not sure the Ravens and Bears agree with you.
Bears receivers:
Darnell Mooney (ok?)
Byron Pringle
Tajae Sharpe
Velus Jones Jr.
Equanimeous St. Brown
That's the worse WR corps in the league. Poor Fields.

Ravens:
Rashod Bateman (best?)
Devin Duvernay
Tylan Wallace
James Proche
Who are these guys?
They do have Mark Andrews.

Texans have no depth behind Cooks. Falcons?

There's plenty of teams that could use an Agholor. He may do better in another system.

The more I think about it the more I think a true number 1 is a fantasy football wet dream.

He‘s that guy that the entire offense runs through, so a no-brainer selection during your fantasy football draft.

Not having a true number 1 WR is as bad, no worse, than running back by committee. Worse because passing is more of the offense than running. Both are bad because they deny the fantasy football players easy pickings.

A guy with 2 touchdowns in 3 seasons is not in the #1 receivers discussion

Maybe he will get better, but his current
Resume has decent yardage and catches, but he falls short in TD’s & Yac 2.7 yds, 130th best in a 32 team league

Julian Edelman had 5 seasons over 700 yards receiving in his career. All with the GOAT and he had 5 Training camps and seasons to get up to his first.

Meyers went over 700 yards 2 out of his first 3 seasons with 2 different QBs who were not the GOAT

Only Meyers and Edelman have gone over 700 yards for the Pats twice in the last 10 years

You can’t win if you don’t score.

Meyers has 2 touchdown over his 3 year career.

That’s not good for a starter & you can’t compare Meyers to Edelman.

Meyers is 130th in the league in YAC at 2.7 yards. 130th in a 32 team league is not impressive

Meyers is a guy who can help, but I would
Compare him to Amendola instead of Edelman.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back