PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why The Dolphins are so Bad (Draft History)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua4Ever04

Banned
Reaction score
We are seeing what happens when you miss in the first round so many times. Nick Saban hit gold with Ronnie Brown but other than that, we haven't had a real good first round pick (other than Brown) since OJ McDuffie and or Tim Bowens.

I knew our draft history was bad, but wow, I took a look at this and this is literally unbelievable.

Take a look at this comparison of first round picks the past 10+ years and the 2 teams that have been the best during this decade. *WARNING! NOT FOR THOSE WITH A WEAK STOMACH*

Miami Dolphins
2007- Ted Ginn
2006- Jason Allen
2005- Ronnie Brown
2004- Vernon Carey
2003- NO PICK
2002- NO PICK
2001- Jamar Fletcher
2000- NO PICK
1999- NO PICK
1998- John Avery
1997- Yatil Green

How pathetic is that? 4 times we didn't pick and other than 2 picks we have absolutely nothing with the remaining picks. I know the jury is still out on Ginn but in 4 games he has done nothing. He looks tentative, scared and isn't showing his speed. Ronnie Brown is a super star, Jason Allen is a bust, Vernon Carey is a good right tackle but not a franchise left tackle. 2 straight no picks, Jamar Fletcher was absolutely awful and cost us the playoffs in 2002 vs. the Pats. We are in no position to ever make fun of anyone's drafting, not even the Jets. This is downright awful

Indianapolis Colts
2007- Anthony Gonzalez
2006- Joseph Addai
2005- Marlin Jackson
2004- NO PICK
2003- Dallas Clark
2002- Dwight Freeny
2001- Reggie Wayne
2000- Rob Morris
1999- Edgerin James
1998- Peyton Manning
1997- Tarki Glenn
1996- Marvin Harrison (Had to throw this one on here)

Damn Bill Polian can build a team. Look at the picks from 2006-1996. Every year they landed a guy who is invaluable to their success. (Marlin Jackson is decent and obviously there was a no pick in 2004, but the other guys on that list is ridiculous. Manning and Harrison make up the NFL's best passing combo ever, Edge and Addai are 2 guys that were or will be considered top 10 backs for at least a 5 year period. Dallas Clark and Anthony Gonzalez are guys that fit their scheme perfectly, Tarik Glenn was one of the league's best LTs for years and Reggie Wayne is also a great receiver. Polian can draft.

New England Patriots
2007- Brandon Meriweather
2006- Laurence Maroney
2005- Logan Mankins
2004- Vince Wilfork & Ben Watson
2003- Ty Warren
2002- Daniel Graham
2001- Richard Seymour
2000- NO PICK
1999- Damien Woodey & Andy Katzenmeyer
1998- Robert Edwards & Tebucky Jones
1997- Chris Canty

The Pats went a different route from the Colts, but were just about as effective in their drafting as the Colts. A franchise LT, built the best defensive line in the game, and good running backs too boot. They weren’t great drafts prior to the 21st century, but multiple picks in '99 and '98 helps big time. The Pats always seem to plug any one in but these drafts certainly have a big impact.

Drafting is so important in the NFL and we've seen mediocre teams carried by a few defensive stars over the past 3 years. But finally, we are seeing our lack of draft success in 2007. I'm literally embarrassed of that list we field from the past 12 years or so.

yup that ginn selection makes no sense especially that early.

yup that ginn selection makes no sense especially that early.

THe jury is still out but if someone held a gun to my head and told me to give my thoughts on Ginn, I'd say it was a bad pick. Patrick Willis would make our defense so much better and give us such a better future. Right now I'm looking at the future of the Fins and there isn't one player I can get excited about on defense, not one. Yeremiah Bell maybe but he's not exactly young at the ruptured achilles doesn't help.

On offense, I have confidence in Cameron's ability to build in offense. The offensive line is actully probably the most solid unit for the Dolphins this season. I have no complaints up front so far and it looks like Samson Satele is going to be a future pro bowl center. (That trade worked good for the Pats and Fins.)

Ronnie Brown is simply a stud, no other way to splice it. The receivers are no good outside of Chambers and Trent Green is awful. I can't wait to see what we have with John Beck.

You also need to do a comparable effort on the off season acquisitions and compare it to the Colts and Pats, think you have some vomit in your mouth now... wait until you do that.

Want the solution to the Dolphins problems?

Get a decent GM...and a good coach as well

Even Matt Millen as GM is part of a better FO than Miami has right now.

Huizenga should sell the team to an owner who has the knowhow to win in this league like Kraft and Wayne should go back to the Blockbuster Video franchises - His Dolphins could be at his Blockbusters on video under the 'Horror section' area.

Last edited:
There's a saying the fish rots from the head. And I've viewed sports organazations with that saying in mind for a very long time.The ones that are succesfull have a good owner,gm,and coach. There's been an argument thats died down in recent years: Which is more important players,or coach? In analyzing winning teams they almost always had very good coaches who could take average players and win,like Bum Philips once said "He can take his'in and beat your'in,then take your'in and beat his'in". I've seen talent laden teams with losey coaches go no where time and time again(see N.Turner/SD) And when I heard a broadcaster say thats an awfull lot of money for a coach" It struck me as why? he runs the team, winning is his responsability. If you have a proven coach why not pay him. The idea of paying the players but not the coach seems to me to have died down over the last 6-7 years possibly because of coachs such as Belichick. But I think it applies to GM's also. Find a good gm that can find a good coach and pay them both. Of course this is not the be all and end all the gm/coach has to be able to pick talent at some level no coach can be expected to win with nothing,and thats seems to be what has happened to Miami looking at there draft for the last ten years they gotten virtualy nothing. The same thing for FA as well.

Last edited:
Hi There - I'm time traveling forward from 2001! I

I guess we have no chance of winning looking at our recent #1 draft picks:

2000- NO PICK
1997- Chris Canty
1996 - Terry Glenn (out/suspended)

Seems like no matter what the DOlphins do, it's always the wrong decision. Fiedler over Green in 2001 (that was just a terrible decision that made no sense), AJ Feeley over drafting a QB in 2004, Culpepper over Brees in '06.
your the idiot who was telling everybody taking cullpepper over brees was the right choice lol lol .stupid team stupid fans lmao .

First round picks are not everything. Sure they are great if you score but if you did a little more research from the 2nd round on you'll find we are do a great job there too.

Tom Brady 6th round = best draft pick ever in NFL history. Lot of luck with this one.
Dan Koppen 5th round
Ellis Hobbs 3rd round
Asante Samuel 4th round
Eugene Wilson 2nd round
Nick Kazir 5th or 6th

And a few others that could be added. Miami used to be the same way when they had a gm who had a clue. Zach Thomas,Surtain etc. I did like the Channing Crowder pick in the 3rd a couple of seasons ago.

Last edited:
We are seeing what happens when you miss in the first round so many times. Nick Saban hit gold with Ronnie Brown but other than that, we haven't had a real good first round pick (other than Brown) since OJ McDuffie and or Tim Bowens.

I knew our draft history was bad, but wow, I took a look at this and this is literally unbelievable.

Take a look at this comparison of first round picks the past 10+ years and the 2 teams that have been the best during this decade. *WARNING! NOT FOR THOSE WITH A WEAK STOMACH*

Miami Dolphins
2007- Ted Ginn
2006- Jason Allen
2005- Ronnie Brown
2004- Vernon Carey
2003- NO PICK
2002- NO PICK
2001- Jamar Fletcher
2000- NO PICK
1999- NO PICK
1998- John Avery
1997- Yatil Green

How pathetic is that? 4 times we didn't pick and other than 2 picks we have absolutely nothing with the remaining picks. I know the jury is still out on Ginn but in 4 games he has done nothing. He looks tentative, scared and isn't showing his speed. Ronnie Brown is a super star, Jason Allen is a bust, Vernon Carey is a good right tackle but not a franchise left tackle. 2 straight no picks, Jamar Fletcher was absolutely awful and cost us the playoffs in 2002 vs. the Pats. We are in no position to ever make fun of anyone's drafting, not even the Jets. This is downright awful

Indianapolis Colts
2007- Anthony Gonzalez
2006- Joseph Addai
2005- Marlin Jackson
2004- NO PICK
2003- Dallas Clark
2002- Dwight Freeny
2001- Reggie Wayne
2000- Rob Morris
1999- Edgerin James
1998- Peyton Manning
1997- Tarki Glenn
1996- Marvin Harrison (Had to throw this one on here)

Damn Bill Polian can build a team. Look at the picks from 2006-1996. Every year they landed a guy who is invaluable to their success. (Marlin Jackson is decent and obviously there was a no pick in 2004, but the other guys on that list is ridiculous. Manning and Harrison make up the NFL's best passing combo ever, Edge and Addai are 2 guys that were or will be considered top 10 backs for at least a 5 year period. Dallas Clark and Anthony Gonzalez are guys that fit their scheme perfectly, Tarik Glenn was one of the league's best LTs for years and Reggie Wayne is also a great receiver. Polian can draft.

New England Patriots
2007- Brandon Meriweather
2006- Laurence Maroney
2005- Logan Mankins
2004- Vince Wilfork & Ben Watson
2003- Ty Warren
2002- Daniel Graham
2001- Richard Seymour
2000- NO PICK
1997- Chris Canty

The Pats went a different route from the Colts, but were just about as effective in their drafting as the Colts. A franchise LT, built the best defensive line in the game, and good running backs too boot. They weren’t great drafts prior to the 21st century, but multiple picks in '99 and '98 helps big time. The Pats always seem to plug any one in but these drafts certainly have a big impact.

Drafting is so important in the NFL and we've seen mediocre teams carried by a few defensive stars over the past 3 years. But finally, we are seeing our lack of draft success in 2007. I'm literally embarrassed of that list we field from the past 12 years or so.

NO ONE drafts better than Bill Polian. And, it's not just the first round, it's ALL rounds.

Here's an unbelievable stat for you, one that I didn't even know before the Saints game-the Colt's have only 4 players on their roster who have ever played a down with another team. Vinatieri, Mcfarland, Boiman, and Dan Klecko. That's an amazing statistic and proof of how brilliant Bill Polian is at building a team.

Here's an unbelievable stat for you, one that I didn't even know before the Saints game-the Colt's have only 4 players on their roster who have ever played a down with another team. Vinatieri, Mcfarland, Boiman, and Dan Klecko. That's an amazing statistic and proof of how brilliant Bill Polian is at building a team.

Brilliant or not, it's pretty old school indeed!

And it also shows that they've assembled a group of players who can be presumed to fit a scheme.

Any team that would pin their hopes on Trent Green as QB is a perfect example of why the fins suck so bad.

It was a 1 year stop gap experiment bridge to a rookie. What are you talking about? No one expected Green to come here and save this franchise for years to come. He didn't play particularly well, but he was great in the development of Beck and leadership he brought to the team.
Did he teach how to make a block?

Wow, great blow. Taking a shot at a guy who got knocked out for trying to make a play for his team, classy. :rolleyes:
this from a guy who doesnt honor his bets and is a proven liar and a racist .ya your a real expert on being classy arent you?:rolleyes:

the dolphins should have a witch hunt, burn someone, crucify the gm, the coach or whatever... drastic changes should be made... tell the players and everybody else in the nfl that the dolphins are not a joke.... maybe it wont work, maybe it will, but it keeps the interest of the nfl and the fans of the fins ,keep the fans on their toes for they dont know what will happen next and distract them from their losing ways... eventually fins will hit the jackpot (like another tom brady or manning) and build from there.

the dolphins should have a witch hunt, burn someone, crucify the gm, the coach or whatever... drastic changes should be made... tell the players and everybody else in the nfl that the dolphins are not a joke.... maybe it wont work, maybe it will, but it keeps the interest of the nfl and the fans of the fins ,keep the fans on their toes for they dont know what will happen next and distract them from their losing ways... eventually fins will hit the jackpot (like another tom brady or manning) and build from there.
How about human sacrafice,to appease the football gods. I know just who to burn too. Aqwaaaah, and Dolfan-uk. :rocker:

Last edited:
THe jury is still out but if someone held a gun to my head and told me to give my thoughts on Ginn, I'd say it was a bad pick. Patrick Willis would make our defense so much better and give us such a better future. Right now I'm looking at the future of the Fins and there isn't one player I can get excited about on defense, not one. Yeremiah Bell maybe but he's not exactly young at the ruptured achilles doesn't help.

On offense, I have confidence in Cameron's ability to build in offense. The offensive line is actully probably the most solid unit for the Dolphins this season. I have no complaints up front so far and it looks like Samson Satele is going to be a future pro bowl center. (That trade worked good for the Pats and Fins.)

Ronnie Brown is simply a stud, no other way to splice it. The receivers are no good outside of Chambers and Trent Green is awful. I can't wait to see what we have with John Beck.

Aqua you are a loser and so is your team! HAHAHhahahah just throwing it out there!!!!!! :rocker:

Perspective and opinions usuing facts and knowledge opposed to emelementary smack? Hmm.. not much of a contest for me.

Most of it was based on the fact that Daunte Culpepper would be ready to start the season. Saban clearly rushed him back.
If he hadn't blown out all 3 major ligaments in his knee the year before, it would have been more factual.
Oh well. It's been closed anyway.:( :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back