PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Steelers take Holmes over Jackson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as attitude I would be worried about Holmes being "physically" similar to Glenn. On Glenn's first reception as a Pat ( a nice 20-30 yd catch as I recall), I distinctly remember noticing how long it took Glenn to get up after the tackle. I remember thinking "Oh God, don't tell me we just spent a high #1 on a guy who isn't tough??!!

The Steelers better hope Holmes can "take a punch" better than Glenn could.

Umm I don't know why everybody harps on Florida receivers being busts in the NFL but they never mention Darrell Jackson's name.

College: Florida
NFL Career Stats
G GS No Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ FD
TOTAL 83 76 378 5489 14.5 80 37 79 19 254

3 seasons with over 1000 yards receiving.

People love pointing out the negative and ignoring the positive.

And besides if I recall Chad Jackson was a WR under the Urban Meyer system which is entirely different from Spurrier and he excelled in it with
88 catches and 900 yards receiving. The year before he averaged over 22 ypc showing that he can excell in both long and short receiving systems. That shows his versatility.

As far as why the Steelers took Holmes first, maybe they liked him better for THEIR SYSTEM. Ever considered that?

The PAts and Steelers run a different offensive systems. Do you really think a Steelers WR will be asked to do identical things a Pats receiver would? No. Of course not.

Consider this also, Holmes is being drafted to be a complementary player to Hines Ward. Thus he resembles more Antwaan, Randell El than Hines Ward.

Also consider that the Pats #1 is currently a small quick guy like Deion Branch. Doesn't it make sense that a taller fast receiver, experienced in the short yardage game, would be selected as a complementary possession receiver opposite Branch? Or am I making too much use of logic here.

To me Chad Jackson has more upside than Holmes, and I think Pats fans will have their eyes opened by his play on the field. The guy has amazing hands, and the prototypical size that will enable him to be a true #1 down the road if he develops properly.

Don't get my wrong I think Holmes will be a good receiver for the Steelers. But by no means am I envious of the selection. I am glad Chad Jackson was drafted by the Pats and I believe he is a great fit for our system.

BB interviewed and quizzed Jackson personally with some plays from our playbook. IF BB has confidence in Jackson then so do I. Moreso than in a Steeler fan's biased opinion from the peanut gallery.

Last edited:
Digger44 said:
real good post? did you take the time to read it?

Actually, I did read it. I also think he had a good argument.

You obviously didn't. Congratulations, yeah to you!

Sorry, just because an argument doesn't favor the Pats, doesn't mean I will disregard it.

Johnny Z said:
Getting rid of Pepsico Burden opened the way to the promised land.
Hey, don't be taking my name in vain! :D

JoeSixPat said:
Touche' sir! A very good point indeed!

That must be the reason why your team "character" leader and QB wasn't donning his uniform during this photo shoot:

bigben1.jpg

bigben2.jpg

bigben3.jpg

The Patriots just can't hold a candle to the Steelers when it comes to quality "character" individuals.

Hmmm - no snappy comeback from Troll? What gives?

I guess just because the Steelers have "character" it doesn't mean that their fans do.

If anyone here can accurately predict which receiver will be best would you please post Saturday's Power Ball numbers also?

This thread wreaks of post draft letdown syndrome. Everyone was all geeked up for the draft and now the painfull wait till summer camp begins...perhaps we can use a spinoff of female "PMS" declaring this to be "PCS"... "PreCampSyndrome" for the lethargic.

My guess is that they will both be very good with neither putting up the huge numbers. Holmes plays for a team prone to run and Jackson a team prone to spreading the ball around...proof positive that this thread is the loser of that battle.

Did anybody post this link yet? http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jeffri_chadiha/05/03/draft.luck/index.html

Make no mistake about it, circumstance is a key factor in whether a player lives up to expectations in this league. It's not just the prospect that matters -- a player has to find the right situation to find success. Here are five draft picks who found the right situation and five others who will be wishing they had years from now.
Five Players in the Wrong Situation

4. Santonio Holmes, WR, Pittsburgh: This is no knock on the organization, because it did win the Super Bowl last year. It is, however, a reminder that the Steelers haven't fared well recently with receivers taken in the first round. Plaxico Burress struggled with inconsistency. Troy Edwards never did anything. Holmes may be more willing to accept the realities of playing in the Steel City -- more blocking and less pass-catching opportunities than first-round receivers are used to -- but he'll still have to understand that Hines Ward is the man in that system.
Saying he's not a good fit in Pitts because "they haven't fared well recently with receivers taken in the first round" is pretty silly.

FACTS:

• Bill Cowher's Steelers talk more trash, collectively, than any team in the history of the National Football League. Guys like Ward, and the now departed Bettis, were the EXCEPTION to the rule.

• Pitt fans expect Ben to become a big time passer this year...unless things fall apart, it won't happen -- and in that case, Ben isn't suited to carry the offense on his back. Though as illustrated by the visual evidence contained in this thread, Ben's been known to carry a wide assortment of other people while laying on his own back.
  • Holmes is better suited to step in this year and make an immediate contribution -- he's fairly polished and doesn't need to be coached up as much by his own quarterback -- the steelers' relatively simple passing scheme also helps in this regard.
  • Jackson has twice as much upside as Holmes, end of argument. No impartial draft exponent would dispute this.
  • Holmes is a much better compliment to Ward than he would've been to Branch.
  • But Jackson is also the perfect compliment to Branch -- as C-Jack said the other day, "I like to go over the middle and make big plays." -- so yeah, we're really depressed about settling on Jackson -- I hope you Pitt fans really believe that.

BTW, way to represent the conference in the big game! Take it from a Pats fan though, it's no fun having that X on your back.

best of luck.

Last edited:
VJCPatriot said:
Umm I don't know why everybody harps on Florida receivers being busts in the NFL but they never mention Darrell Jackson's name.

Good catch. Then again Darrell was a mid-3rd round pick. The examples I mentioned were 1st rounders except for Anthony, who was a early 2nd.

I mentioned the "anti-Florida bias" a possible reason as to why some teams passed on Chad in the 1st.

For the record, I'm real happy we got Chad Jackson. He's a 2nd round steal.

Last edited:
the taildragger said:
FACTS:

• Bill Cowher's Steelers talk more trash, collectively, than any team in the history of the National Football League. Guys like Ward, and the now departed Bettis, were the EXCEPTION to the rule.

• Pitt fans expect Ben to become a big time passer this year...unless things fall apart, it won't happen -- and in that case, Ben isn't suited to carry the offense on his back. Though as illustrated by the visual evidence contained in this thread, Ben's been known to carry a wide assortment of other people while laying on his own back.
  • Holmes is better suited to step in this year and make an immediate contribution -- he's fairly polished and doesn't need to be coached up as much by his own quarterback -- the steelers' relatively simple passing scheme also helps in this regard.
  • Jackson has twice as much upside as Holmes, end of argument. No impartial draft exponent would dispute this.
  • Holmes is a much better compliment to Ward than he would've been to Branch.
  • But Jackson is also the perfect compliment to Branch -- as C-Jack said the other day, "I like to go over the middle and make big plays." -- so yeah, we're really depressed about settling on Jackson -- I hope you Pitt fans really believe that.

BTW, way to represent the conference in the big game! Take it from a Pats fan though, it's no fun having that X on your back.

best of luck.

Reading through this very long thread, I was wondering when someone was going to fall onto the true reason here, and to your credit Taildragger, you just did.

The reason Pitt took Holmes is the very same reason why NE took Jackson. Each is a perfect complement (read "different" or "changeup") from the current receiver star of each respective team.

Chad Jackson is the taller, stronger complement to Branch and Santonio Holmes is the faster, smaller complement to Ward.

shmessy said:
Reading through this very long thread, I was wondering when someone was going to fall onto the true reason here, and to your credit Taildragger, you just did.

The reason Pitt took Holmes is the very same reason why NE took Jackson. Each is a perfect complement (read "different" or "changeup") from the current receiver star of each respective team.

FWIW, back pages and pages ago I did say "Maybe one answer is found in the teams' respective #1 receivers. Ward + Holmes looks like a nice combination, as does Branch + Jackson." Overall, it's hard to argue with either selection. Both teams generally draft well, and these picks look like no exception.

Troll07 said:
Why?!?!

Its all about character...the Steelers pride themselves on picking good character people...add to that the abilities that S. Holmes brings...easy choice...

Now this is not we got the better player post...only time will tell...

I apologize... looks like you were right about character being the main issue here... the Steelers really knew what they were doing... Holmes should fit right in

Good one JoeSix. I wonder if Troll07 will stop back with egg on face. :)

Last edited:
MIAMI BEACH, Fla. (May 27, 2006) -- Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Santonio Holmes was arrested for disorderly conduct at a hotel in South Beach, police said.

Holmes was arrested Friday night. He was released from jail after he signed a promissory note to appear in court to be arraigned, Miami Beach police spokesman Bobby Hernandez said.

The events leading to Holmes' arrest weren't released by police.

Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett said he didn't know about the arrest and couldn't immediately comment on it. Holmes was the Steelers' first-round pick in April out of Ohio State.

Love these good character people!!:rocker:

The reason that the steelers took Holmes over Jackson is because he is more polished. A lot more polished. Thats not to take anything away from Jackson, who has potential, but Holmes certainly is the more skilled receiver coming out of college.

Plus, Holmes has been great at Ohio State ever since he was a freshman, whereas Jackson is more of a new name who just showed up this past year.

Some people don't see Holmes as a future #1. Why? The guy has all the ability you could ever ask for in a #1. He's similar in size to Marvin Harrison and it certianly doesn't hold him back any.

If you have a wide receiver with the speed and route running ability of Holmes, and you team him with a great QB like Ben, the sky is the limit as to how good he can be.

Jackson is still raw but could develop into a great weapon if given enough time.

So to sum why the Steelers took Holmes.... Jackson = raw talent / potential
Holmes = talented and skilled

He may have been arrested this weekend, and if you want, you can laugh at that. But the steelers absolutely made the correct decision on draft day based on all the factors leading up to the draft. If it was him who commited that traffic violation in Florida, there certainly was no indication of any such behavior prior to his being drafted by the steelers. So you can't blame the steelers for a mistake that Holmes may have made.

Last edited:
SteelCity said:
The reason that the steelers took Holmes over Jackson is because he is more polished. A lot more polished. Thats not to take anything away from Jackson, who has potential, but Holmes certainly is the more skilled receiver coming out of college.

On the football issues I actually tend to agree with you (look back in the thread), although " a lot" more polished looks like a stretch if you saw any of Jackson in training camp.

Maybe Holmes has more playing time and more catches halfway through this season - its the career stats I care about and Jackson has #1 potential where I think Holmes is a solid #2.

I just had to revisit this thread after an idiot Steeler's fan comes in to crow about what a "problem" guy we got in Jackson and that the Big Drunk Ben lead Steelers selected Holmes because of his high character.

Yeah character does not seem a point in Holmes favor after he got arrested... Humm kind of takes some shine off that 'polish' doesn't it? ;)

Troll07 said:
Why?!?!

Its all about character...the Steelers pride themselves on picking good character people...add to that the abilities that S. Holmes brings...easy choice...

Now this is not we got the better player post...only time will tell...

I just can't help myself.

Every time Santurdio Holmes gets arrested I just have to come back, read Troll07's righteous declaration that Holmes was chosen because of his high character, and have a good laugh.

...and now the news that, even from a football perspective, the Steelers front office was torn on whether to pull the trigger on Holmes!

Way to go Troll07! You really know your team and your players (also see my previous post on the notion that the Steelers QB fits in Troll07's "high character" profile... yeah Ben looked high all right...)

www.profootballtalk.com said:
POSTED 9:58 p.m. EDT; UPDATED 10:44 p.m. EDT, June 21, 2006

STEELERS WERE SPLIT ON SANTURDIO

A league source tells us that there was disagreement in the Steelers' front office regarding the question of whether to draft receiver Santurdio, the team's first pick in the 2006 draft.

Instead of standing pat with the 32nd overall choice in round one, the Steelers traded up with the Giants to get Santurdio at No. 25.

Though we don't know who or how many execs were against selecting the former Ohio State Buckeye, it's safe to assume that coach Bill Cowher ultimately made the call to make the move.

And it's also safe to assume that, at a time when Cowher would like to tell quarterback Ben Toothlessberger "I told you so" regarding the decision to ride a motorcycle without a helmet, there's more than a few folks in the front office who'd like to say the same thing to Cowher regarding the acquisition of Santurdio.

So what becomes of Santurdio? Look for Cowher and company to cold-**** some sense into him come training camp. If he gets arrested another time between now and late July, don't be surprised if all he gets from the Steelers is a one-year offer for the rookie minimum of $275,000. His only alternative at that point would be to sit out the year and re-enter the draft in 2007.

well Im guess that setttles it.

Santurdio = 3 illegitimate kids + 2 arrests in the past 2 months

Jackson = No illegitimate kids with no arrests over the past 2 months.

I don't care if Santurdio is the second coming of Jerry Rice, the Pats *never* would have drafted this clown.

patpatriot said:
Santurdio = 3 illegitimate kids + 2 arrests in the past 2 months

Jackson = No illegitimate kids with no arrests over the past 2 months.

I don't care if Santurdio is the second coming of Jerry Rice, the Pats *never* would have drafted this clown.

Its all about character...the Patriots pride themselves on picking good character people...add to that the abilities that C. Jackson brings...easy choice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back