PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans
Search

Why has Bill the GM been so poor the past decade?

Real fan 02

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reactions
One thing. Harrison was in Oakland getting ready to sign a contract with the Raiders when Belichick called him and told him not to sign it and come to Foxboro. Harrison had interest from other teams.

But the Pats let Edelman walk and he was offered a contract by the Giants, but it wasn't enough or even more than what the Patriots were offering and he decided to come back. But if someone gave Edelman a significantly better offer, he might have taken it.
I think it was Denver no? Hot rod said he almost signed with Denver, but canceled everything and flew to meet with BB.

Steve102

You were going to say something clever?
PatsFans.com Supporter
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
The NEP went against their mantra. They went for the "more talented" WR over the one who was "less talented" but produced in this system by being smart and working hard.

The only reason I can think why they didn't resign him was the stupid play in LV.
Wasn't he part of the mutiny with Mac, Hoyer and Bailey?

Real fan 02

Reactions
News flash. For all of you who keep telling us over and over the WR's all suddenly suck, even though they were good before they came to play with Mac. It isn't them, it is the freaking QB. He sucks, he sucks he sucks. No wr will be good if the QB completely and totally sucks.
I'll agree. But also add. Mac's a QB who's playing scared, therefore he's turning the ball over. As far as a QB who outright sucks is Zach Wilson. But we need to let it suck for 6 more games.

Real fan 02

Reactions
It was the Raiders,
Jules it was the Giants and niners I think
Hightower it was the Jets
Who am I missing.
McCourty with the eagles. Ok because Hotrod said himself he was signing with the Broncos and had a meeting to sign his contract, but canceled when BB called.

lancerman

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reactions
News flash. For all of you who keep telling us over and over the WR's all suddenly suck, even though they were good before they came to play with Mac. It isn't them, it is the freaking QB. He sucks, he sucks he sucks. No wr will be good if the QB completely and totally sucks.
Dude nobody thought these were good WR's until they came to the Patriots. Even just on paper, the Patriots have routinely been considered to have amongst the worst WR corps in the NFL since 2019-2020 at a minimum. This has been a universal thing even before the seasons started. The results after they played were just confirmation.

Again the WR's were so bad in 2019 (and they were better in 2019 than what they have now) that people were blaming TOM BRADY for why the offense sucked. You can go back 5 years even when the GOAT who would go on to win a Super Bowl and have MVP level seasons afterwards and the WR's have consistently been a problem.

No QB is succeeding with these WR's. It doesn't matter.

Everyone knows this except a very small minority of homers who overrate literally everyone who comes through the door because they now wear a Patriots logo

RobertWeathers

Member of the Seattle 7 & Roadie for Metallica
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reactions
Wasn't he part of the mutiny with Mac, Hoyer and Bailey?
Not sure. If that was the case then we have the answer. BB did say they made him an offer but Jakobi seemed perplexed by that comment.

Steve102

You were going to say something clever?
PatsFans.com Supporter
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Not sure. If that was the case then we have the answer. BB did say they made him an offer but Jakobi seemed perplexed by that comment.
I thought he was, but it could be as simple as the lateral thing.

1960Pats

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
I care about winning and winning only. Always have.

Time to move on.
Yup, Herm was spot on.

Kraft moved on from Brady too early. Hopefully he won't hang on to Belichick for too long but may have already.

If there's a change then the further away from Belichick that they get the happier I'll be.

TheRainMaker

3rd runner up sexiest man alive 1998
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Kraft moved on from Brady too early. Hopefully he won't hang on to Belichick for too long but may have already.
ESPN has been talking about this almost daily saying it was a colossal mistake for Bill letting Tom go and it is tarnishing his legacy.

203Pat

Pro Bowl Player
Reactions
He had 78 receptions and almost 1000 yards last year. No matter how you slice it, the qb sucks. If the qb sucks the receivers suck. It is a team game, no matter how much some of you dimwits want to change the narrative.

Take your heads out of your asses and admit it, Mac Jones sucks. The best WR in the game would still suck if he had Mac Jones throwing to him.
Juju played on the best offense in the league with the best quarterback in the league. KC averaged almost 30 more passing yards a game than the second place offense and almost 90 yards more a game than our offense did last year and Juju still ended up with Jakobi Meyers numbers. Juju wasn't terrible last year but I wouldn't call him a "good" receiver and he also had another knee issue down the stretch on top of it.

As for Mac he sucks. I have always thought he wasn't very good but I never thought he'd be this bad. That being true still doesn't make Juju Smith-Schuster a "good" receiver.

TheRainMaker

3rd runner up sexiest man alive 1998
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
McCourty with the eagles. Ok because Hotrod said himself he was signing with the Broncos and had a meeting to sign his contract, but canceled when BB called.
Google is our friend guys. You are right, Denver offered him more money

Real fan 02

Reactions
Google is our friend guys. You are right, Denver offered him more money
I remember Hot rod saying in his own words at his patriots hall of fame inception as well.

Real fan 02

Reactions
ESPN has been talking about this almost daily saying it was a colossal mistake for Bill letting Tom go and it is tarnishing his legacy.
I think the dynamics with Bill are different as he's the GM/HC. Just signed a new deal. He would then have to have Groh and Elliot clean up his expansion roster. How I agree!

Real fan 02

Reactions
Dude nobody thought these were good WR's until they came to the Patriots. Even just on paper, the Patriots have routinely been considered to have amongst the worst WR corps in the NFL since 2019-2020 at a minimum. This has been a universal thing even before the seasons started. The results after they played were just confirmation.

Again the WR's were so bad in 2019 (and they were better in 2019 than what they have now) that people were blaming TOM BRADY for why the offense sucked. You can go back 5 years even when the GOAT who would go on to win a Super Bowl and have MVP level seasons afterwards and the WR's have consistently been a problem.

No QB is succeeding with these WR's. It doesn't matter.

Everyone knows this except a very small minority of homers who overrate literally everyone who comes through the door because they now wear a Patriots logo
Spot on! Is why I've been saying... I don't see juju or Parker here next season. I see KB back who's contract is up, and recovering coming back. So KB, Douglas and some game changers.

Patriots Slater Calling It Quits After 16 Seasons
Patriots News 2-18, The Draft, Free Agency, and “The Dynasty”
MORSE: The Young Guns Patriots New Defensive Coaches
MORSE: Introducing the New Patriots Front Office
49ers Had a Chance, But Questionable Decisions Cost Them in Loss to Chiefs
Patriots News 2-11, Hightower Returns, Staff, Front Office Thoughts
Ranking The 57 Super Bowls From Worst To Best
Wolf’s Ascension Hopefully Will Help Patriots Fix One Key Problem Moving Forward
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #2 – Post College All-Star Games
Felger and Lombardi Interview: Two Sides Argue “The Laziest Narrative” on Belichick