PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why has Bill the GM been so poor the past decade?

1960Pats

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Is it good to seek the past? Does it not rob the present?
If a man dwells on the past then he robs the present (Bill's 25 year comment fits nicely there).
But if a man ignores the past he may rob the future (that's Bill continuing on with his ancient ways).

It's pretty obvious that Bill is way over the hill. Get him out of here yesterday.

1960Pats

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Sure. Give every team Pat Mahomes and they are a contender. I agree the franchise QB makes the HC but lets take that out of the evaluation of Bill.

Status quo doesn't mean things will be better than the alternative.

Here is what we know.

It is undeniable Bill is on a cold streak on the player acquisition side. Thats Bill the GM.

It is also undeniable the team has committed more penalties every year since 2020. Thats Bill the HC.

It is a fact the team has not won a playoff game since 2019 and will have a 2nd straight losing season.

I do not want Bill deciding who gets $100m in cap space nor deciding who is picked #3 in the draft.
I believe that Bill and Bob have a lot of respect for each other and have probably already agreed on what direction they're going and how best to get there.

But if Bill stays then we know that Bob likes the status quo.

cmasspatsfan

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reactions
I believe that Bill and Bob have a lot of respect for each other and have probably already agreed on what direction they're going and how best to get there.

Not necessarily, could be BB has a plan that he talked RK into. I can hear the collective groans already if that happens but don't be surprised if BB is back next year.

Nehalem

In the Starting Line-Up
Reactions
In hindsight, it was a mistake trading Jones. He would have been especially useful in the Eagles Super Bowl.

Why tag an all pro in Thuney. Then, let him walk after that season? Thuney should have been a forever Patriot.
Wrong on Jones. In the 3 years after trading Jones we went to 3 SBs and won 2. Trading Jones got us Thuney and Malcolm Mitchell(6 SB catches) and the cap space for DPOY Gilmore. One of the best moves BB ever made.

On the other hand tagging Thuney in 2020 has got to be the strangest move BB ever made. And that is saying something.

palialka

On the Game Day Roster
Reactions
Simply put, his smugness, his thinking that he’s the smartest person in the room and his inability to adjust his football operations model…definitely a God complex.

1960Pats

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Nothing lasts forever. It was going to happen eventually so if the team needs a reset and they do it's a perfect time for a change.
As it turned out if the Pats had kept Brady for his last three years they would have had some choices at QB to pick from in the last draft.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1

RobertWeathers

Member of the Seattle 7 & Roadie for Metallica
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reactions
I wouldn't be surprised if they have had "The Conversation".
Yea I just don't think thats the right move now staying status quo.

n6249c

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reactions
One thing I think I’ve noticed is that BB is going against his own philosophy with his FA signings recently. He has been notorious for the philosophy “better a year early than a year late” when it comes to cutting ties with aging veterans. But he has been signing older veteran FAs like Parker and Juju and they’re showing why better a year early is a good approach. Can’t help but wonder if he’s being over optimistic about the resilience and ability to sustain performance when players have performed well elsewhere. Maybe he doesn’t know how much time they spent in the tub trying to stay on the field with their old teams. Or am I imagining this trend?

PatsFan2

Hall of Fame Poster
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Sure. Give every team Pat Mahomes and they are a contender. I agree the franchise QB makes the HC but lets take that out of the evaluation of Bill.

Status quo doesn't mean things will be better than the alternative.

Here is what we know.

It is undeniable Bill is on a cold streak on the player acquisition side. Thats Bill the GM.

It is also undeniable the team has committed more penalties every year since 2020. Thats Bill the HC.

It is a fact the team has not won a playoff game since 2019 and will have a 2nd straight losing season.

I do not want Bill deciding who gets $100m in cap space nor deciding who is picked #3 in the draft.
Welcome to the dark side Rob. :)

tasmlab

Starting QB, won 20 SBs, number is retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
The real patriots offense always consists of a 3rdown back, slot WR, we had the QB in Brady to make it all look seamless.
Why don't they have this anymore? The 3rd down back and slot WR were largely how Brady helped his line and mitigated pressure. Haven't had much resembling that at all on the roster for the past two years.

tasmlab

Starting QB, won 20 SBs, number is retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Defensive line? Aside from Barmore in the last 10 years nothing impressive. Took a chance on Easley and blew up in his face.
Somehow Bill was the guy who drafted Seymour, Warren and Wilfork over the course of 3-4 seasons. He should've done that again.

n6249c

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reactions
What I'm trying to say it that's what the patriots mindset was when drafting Mac.. as Weiss went on to say they liked him because he reminded them if Brady, and they would not have to alter thier offensive system. We know now what Mac and Zapp both are. The next guy they will have too go based on his talents and not this system that only works for the GOAT that he adopted. The system only works when you have the guys. They don't!
Nothing works if you don’t have the guys. No system is going to overcome a QB1 that habitually panics and throws off his back foot to players wearing the wrong color jersey. With a QB2 that’s a Smurf who has been studying the QB1 too long and lost his ability to distinguish Jersey colors.

Real fan 02

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reactions
Why don't they have this anymore? The 3rd down back and slot WR were largely how Brady helped his line and mitigated pressure. Haven't had much resembling that at all on the roster for the past two years.
Exactly! Basically every one on here posting has mentioned this. It's like they purposely set the offense up like this. Mac had James white for the first 4 games of his rookie season and he helped Mac and the offense immensely. Douglas is the only player resembling a slot WR presence.

1960Pats

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Few things. Either:

A) The players aren't worth a 2nd contract.
B) They are worth it. But Bill does not want to pay up. Unlike the old days, more players are going on to have more success when leaving NE.

Both A & B fall on the GM's shoulders. If a player isn't good, bad drafting. If he is good enough, yet you think they are easily replaceable, it's bad personnel management.

The Patriots needed a go to guy who would make plays and be open. Branch was that guy. I think Bill would take that back if he could. No way Indy comes back if Branch is in that game. One big play for a TD was all they needed. And I don't believe for a second they lose to the Grossman led Bears. A team they didn't have much issue with month or so previous.

OT, but I believe 2006 changed people's opinions on Brady. To go 12-4 with those receivers and be a TD pass away from a SB berth was impressive. Couldn't really look at him as a "game manager" anymore. It was obvious, as it should have been way before that time, that he was a great QB. In some ways, it was one of his more impressive seasons when you factor in the injuries and receiver options.
The more I got to see what made Brady tick the more impressed I was. I liked him more than Drew early but I didn't realize just how great he was until his big brain became apparent some time later. He could see more and adjust better in an instant that anyone. And he was the perfect fit for an authoritative guy like Belichick. A match made in Heaven as they say.

Both of those guys should have played their last games with this team but it looks like neither will. In the old days we'd say that's a dirty, rotten shame. Now we just say that it sucks.

Real fan 02

Reactions
The more I got to see what made Brady tick the more impressed I was. I liked him more than Drew early but I didn't realize just how great he was until his big brain became apparent some time later. He could see more and adjust better in an instant that anyone. And he was the perfect fit for an authoritative guy like Belichick. A match made in Heaven as they say.

Both of those guys should have played their last games with this team but it looks like neither will. In the old days we'd say that's a dirty, rotten shame. Now we just say that it sucks.
Brady said himself and what ultimately cost Jim his marriage. Was he had an insatiable desire to want to win. He out his all into this game, and as all the greats often do they also pay a price In thier personal lives just like Jordan did. I don't think any of us posters envisioned the patriot way would end this way.

1960Pats

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Not necessarily, could be BB has a plan that he talked RK into. I can hear the collective groans already if that happens but don't be surprised if BB is back next year.
I won't be surprised. They could have already agreed that Bill's coming back and that would be the status quo that was talked about.

I just think that whatever Bob and Bill do it will be civil. I can't see them breaking up on bad terms.

cmasspatsfan

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reactions

I agree with what you said but some will say they would have won 10 Super Bowls if not for Bill, they don't see the symbiotic relationship that comes along once in a lifetime.

Real fan 02

Reactions
I won't be surprised. They could have already agreed that Bill's coming back and that would be the status quo that was talked about.

I just think that whatever Bob and Bill do it will be civil. I can't see them breaking up on bad terms.
The more I think about it. Your right. I think he's back next season. Maybe this is what needed to take place for ownership to accept where they are post Brady and get with current NFL roster standards.

1960Pats

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
I agree with what you said but some will say they would have won 10 Super Bowls if not for Bill, they don't see the symbiotic relationship that comes along once in a lifetime.
They're entitled to their opinions but nobody can possibly know what would have happened if Bill and Tom never got together. What we do know is what did happen, and every time I think back to it a huge grin comes to my face.

My take goes back to the theory that players win games and coaches can lose them. Bill's strength during the run was that he made very few, if any, mistakes.

1960Pats

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
The more I think about it. Your right. I think he's back next season. Maybe this is what needed to take place for ownership to accept where they are post Brady and get with current NFL roster standards.
I definitely don't want him to come back but I have no clue if he will. If he does get the axe then you can find me doing this...

Patriots News 3-3, Jackson Released, Salary Cap Grows 
Saturday Morning Notebook 3/2: News and Notes
Patriots Part Ways With CB J.C. Jackson
Friday Afternoon Patriots Notebook 3/1: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 2/29: News and Notes
Wasting Their Time? Bill Belichick’s Final Year Ends With a Poor Grade by NFLPA
Wednesday Afternoon Patriots Notebook 2/28: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s 2024 Combine Press Conference 2/28
Tuesday Afternoon Patriots Notebook 2/27: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Director of Scouting Eliot Wolf’s Press Conference 2/27