PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why does 1st round pick Sony Michel play like a jag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupofjoe1962

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Does anyone else think that the Patriot way is not working for Sony Michel?

I remember reading that the Patriots wanted Michel to run north and south, opposed to his lateral movements during runs in college.
This reminded me of Bill Parcels talking about Curtis Martin during camp. his rookie year.

I remember Parcels saying that Martin was struggling in camp with the directions he was given, and one day Parcels asked Martin if coaching was part of the problem.
Parcels then allowed Martin to run instinctive, apposed to north and south and it made a huge difference in Curtis Martin's on field performance. I can still picture
Martin's 75 yard run against the Steelers in the fog during the playoffs.

Maybe we should have just let Sony play like Sony at Georgia because the Sony who is currently playing for the Patriots is not worth executing his 5th year option next year.

Interesting, I never saw that. It takes a pretty rare talent (like Barkley) for me to even consider a running back in the first round. I certainly wouldn't use a 1st rounder on a guy that I just want to be a north-south runner. You can find one of those literally anywhere. But, I do feel like Sony's physical ability fell off from his Georgia days. At the time I thought he was the better pick over Chubb, especially for our offense. Head scratcher.

I read about an advanced metric on him once, which measured I think it was the expected yards on each carry according to how the blocking developed. He graded out as the definition of a guy that will get what's there and no more. I'd link it but can't remember where I saw it.

I thought he would be much better as a receiver out of the backfield than he has been up to now.

I read about an advanced metric on him once, which measured I think it was the expected yards on each carry according to how the blocking developed. He graded out as the definition of a guy that will get what's there and no more. I'd link it but can't remember where I saw it.
Accords with what we're seeing in the games.

Yeah I think that's what most of us are seeing at this point. After the promising end to 2018, I hoped he'd be able to get his body right in the offseason, we'd get him more involved in the passing game and he'd become much more dynamic like his college film suggested. But that wasn't the case and it looks like more of the same here in 2020.
I tried to stay positive on him for a while but I can't really avoid the JAG label at this point. I couldn't help myself when he was visibly upset with Eluemunor's blocking on the one play and I was just like, "well if you had any ability to make somebody miss maybe you could have still gotten some yards."

Yeah my patience with Sony has the needle almost at E now. It's time to show us what he can do if he wants to stick around.

I don't think anyone's going to make the argument that Sony is a great back. We appreciate what he contributed to the Super Bowl run, but he hasn't shown a lot since then (though the second half of last year was much better than the first). I suppose my question is -- does it matter? He won't be Barkley or Chubb, but he's a solid contributor who at times looks like he's on the verge of becoming more. Is he disappointing for a first rounder? Yeah, I think we can all admit that if we're honest. But is it enough to win? I think the answer is also yes. Perhaps that's all that really matters in the end, given our stable of backs.

I'm not sweating it if Harris runs well...like 4.0 or more ypc. Start Harris in week 4 along with OBJ and I think we will go far in the playoffs...if their are no major injuries to any starters.

I also don't think he's 100% healthy yet either, which might explain his limited workload so far.

I'm not giving up yet I think he can back to playing like his rookie year. But recently my brother made a good anology when he said Sony is like a cartoon his legs are churning fast but he doesn't go anywhere.

I'm not giving up yet I think he can back to playing like his rookie year. But recently my brother made a good anology when he said Sony is like a cartoon his legs are churning fast but he doesn't go anywhere.

It looks like he's made more of an effort this season to keep the legs churning...more so then in previous years...but he's still not going anywhere.

Last edited:
Most running backs lose a step or two at a younger age than other players because of injuries and wear and tear. I’m wondering if it’s happened to him at an even younger age than most.

I’d like to see what Harris can do and if he can relegate Sony to the bench.

Michel looks a lot different than he did in college. His body type and size has changed a lot, with him appearing much heavier and bulked up now compared to his days at UGA.

I'm not on the Pats' strength & conditioning staff, but to my layman's eye he looks overweight and out-of-shape. I think shedding some weight could help improve his on-field play. Just my two cents.

White, Burkhead, JJ and Harris can run to the outside...Sony should gain 10-15 lbs more and truck it up the middle for now on. AND start catching the football.

I also don't think he's 100% healthy yet either, which might explain his limited workload so far.
He’s probably never going to be 100% healthy if that knee is bone-on-bone. I appreciate what he did for the team in the 2018 run, but I’m not expecting much from him anymore.

I don't know how much is related to the knee but he has been pretty much useless. You could stick just about anyone in his role and they'd do the same if not better. Doesn't catch passes, doesn't break tackles, doesn't get yards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down