PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who's the next Shawne Merriman for 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOWAKJOE

On the Roster
Reaction score
This guy is really really good. I know that Willie Mac is great at that DE/LB but is getting up there in age, and his cap number is high as well. Who are some canadiates via the draft or FA that maybe a good fit here for 2006? Here is a few names I came up with.
1.Manny Lawson South Carolina 6'5" 250 with speed a late 1st round prospect.
2. John Abraham UFA from the Jets

Again, look no further then in our own state. Matthias Kiwanuka of BC is a good DE/OLB prospect and reminds me very much of Willie Mac. He projects mainly as a DE, but I could see him playing a little hybrid DE/OLB.

no way kiwi will be around when the pats pic, he is going top ten, top 15 at the most...he is gonna be a beast though

Oh jeez, we're talking about for the Pats! I thought you meant just in general haha...No way, Kiwi won' fall, you're right..Lawson would be a godsend, I hope people have the perception that he was only good because he had Mario Williams on his line...That'd be good for us. Although there are certainly more pertinent issues to attend to this draft year, I think. John Abraham? That'd be sweet.

JohnnyFromBurgerKing said:
Oh jeez, we're talking about for the Pats! I thought you meant just in general haha...No way, Kiwi won' fall, you're right..Lawson would be a godsend, I hope people have the perception that he was only good because he had Mario Williams on his line...That'd be good for us. Although there are certainly more pertinent issues to attend to this draft year, I think. John Abraham? That'd be sweet.

oh, maybe im just being self(Pats)- centered but kiwi i think will play more DE if he puts on a few more Lbs. to stand up to the run and continues to pass rush as well as he has been...

He reminds me so much of JP and we all know how good he is, critics were saying the same things about JP in 2002 as they have been saying about kiwi now...

I think AJ Hawk will be the next vilma -

PatsSaintsSox said:
He will prolly go where, 3rd or 4th?

I'd say the second round. He's very good, just overshadowed by Mario Williams, who plays on the other end.

I went to the NCSU-FSU game(I go to FSU) where NC State pulled the upset 20-15 and Lawson was an absolute beast.

I think Lawson is deserving of a first round pick, albeit from 18 or 19 onward. Once the playoff teams start picking, he should go. This guy's a physical speciman, comparable PHYSICALLY to Julius Peppers. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's as good as Peppers was coming out. But this guy's a terror.

JohnnyFromBurgerKing said:
I think Lawson is deserving of a first round pick, albeit from 18 or 19 onward. Once the playoff teams start picking, he should go. This guy's a physical speciman, comparable PHYSICALLY to Julius Peppers. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's as good as Peppers was coming out. But this guy's a terror.

I agree hopefully he will be there when we pick. The more I think about the draft, I believe BB adds to our DL. He loves drafting DL early. Has said he is always looking for the next Richard Seymour. And even though Lawson is that tweener DE/OLB he will create havoc with opposing QB and Def. Cord.

drewdagreat said:
I'd say the second round. He's very good, just overshadowed by Mario Williams, who plays on the other end.

I went to the NCSU-FSU game(I go to FSU) where NC State pulled the upset 20-15 and Lawson was an absolute beast.

Ya, mario is nasty

If BB wanted to get the next RS where would he put Ty Warren, or would he switch to the 4-3, i mean you could keep jarvis, but would you trade ty?

DE/OLB? Bobby Carpenter, Ohio St of course. He's an outstanding OLB, has great size (6'3", 255#), has intangibles out the wazzou and occasionally lines up in a 3-pt stance to terrorize QBs just like Big Willie.

Mulehead said:
DE/OLB? Bobby Carpenter, Ohio St of course. He's an outstanding OLB, has great size (6'3", 255#), has intangibles out the wazzou and occasionally lines up in a 3-pt stance to terrorize QBs just like Big Willie.

He'll go early, prolly early sec. round?

PatsSaintsSox said:
He'll go early, prolly early sec. round?

That would be my guess. It might make sense for us to take him in the late 1st, or at least trade back a few spots into the early 2nd, then take him. It may be too risky and too expensive to trade up from our late 2nd rounder.

Carpenter is one of my favorite guys in this draft class.

Did anyone see the Clemson vs. Colorado game on Tuesday? That kid Gaines Adams DE 6'5" 260 from Clemson looks like a monster. Talk about the next Shawne Merriman. This guy was everywhere. He is only a junior but hopefully he will come out early. Some feel he could be the 2nd or 3rd DE/OLB off the board if he does.

I clicked on this to through Gainnes Addams name out there but it was already done. I doubt he comes out for the draft though.

PatsSaintsSox said:
Ya, mario is nasty

If BB wanted to get the next RS where would he put Ty Warren, or would he switch to the 4-3, i mean you could keep jarvis, but would you trade ty?
Getting the next Sey in this draft wouldn't necessarily mean we lose Ty, it just may mean more platooning while the guy learns his two-gap better. Ty is our slowest DL off the snap, but he still gets a good push on the pocket, and he was our run stuffer this season, Seymour actually needed to improve his run game to start matching Ty in the second half of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes