PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who's out/extended/sacrificed to fit AB's contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We could extend Dorsett or Gordon.

We could be looking for a partner to trade Thomas.

I do think that we are not done with WR transactions in the next 4 weeks. And then, we start again when we consider activating Harry and/or Meredith. I suspect that Meredith is being IRed until 2020.

I like Demaryius Thomas. I like him a lot, and I think if he's over his Achilles injury then reports of his decline over the last few years were greatly exaggerated. (Seriously, he was reported as having seen his stats decline in four straight years, but that's only because - not counting last year's season with the trade and injury - he went from 111 catches to 105 to 90 to 83... not exactly the sign of a guy who's declining into obscurity.)

But it's tough because Edelman, Harry, Meredith, and Meyers (and Gunner, but let's consider it a longshot that he develops into an NFL-caliber WR though I think, like Slater, he might be around for a while just on special teams so he'll get the chance) are the only ones signed to contracts next season. Edelman's still incredibly effective but he's getting long in the tooth and they need a slot guy to pass the torch to. If they cut Meyers, they'll lose him. Meredith was really good a few years ago as a slot guy but he's been a mess, even if he's still young.

I guess it remains to be seen. I know I've gotten hyped for undrafted preseason all-stars (Bam, Tyms, Thompkins, etc.) at wide receiver who never amount to much after some initial hype. Meyers might be another of those. Or Thomas might look incredibly wobbly and totally washed-up. Or maybe they extend Gordon in a few weeks and the depth chart looks better for next year so it's not even a consideration. Usually these things work themselves out.

I like Demaryius Thomas. I like him a lot, and I think if he's over his Achilles injury then reports of his decline over the last few years were greatly exaggerated. (Seriously, he was reported as having seen his stats decline in four straight years, but that's only because - not counting last year's season with the trade and injury - he went from 111 catches to 105 to 90 to 83... not exactly the sign of a guy who's declining into obscurity.)

But it's tough because Edelman, Harry, Meredith, and Meyers (and Gunner, but let's consider it a longshot that he develops into an NFL-caliber WR though I think, like Slater, he might be around for a while just on special teams so he'll get the chance) are the only ones signed to contracts next season. Edelman's still incredibly effective but he's getting long in the tooth and they need a slot guy to pass the torch to. If they cut Meyers, they'll lose him. Meredith was really good a few years ago as a slot guy but he's been a mess, even if he's still young.

I guess it remains to be seen. I know I've gotten hyped for undrafted preseason all-stars (Bam, Tyms, Thompkins, etc.) at wide receiver who never amount to much after some initial hype. Meyers might be another of those. Or Thomas might look incredibly wobbly and totally washed-up. Or maybe they extend Gordon in a few weeks and the depth chart looks better for next year so it's not even a consideration. Usually these things work themselves out.

Well, guess it worked itself out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back