PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who's out/extended/sacrificed to fit AB's contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They cut Obi

I guess an obsession about the 47th/53rd men on the roster comes with the territory here?

By the way, I hear Antonio Brown has joined the Patriots.

I think the answer is to go away from TE. Which seemed to work beautifully yesterday.

Not only that, but guys like Gordon and Thomas, as big wrs, can fill a role similar to move TEs, at times.

Wait, wait...they did exactly what I expected them to do? WTH?? :confused:

Looks like the verdict is in and it's Melifonwu, which is no surprise IMO mostly because I didn't expect him to make the team in the first place.

I assume this is because they suspected neither Meyers nor Gunner would make it through waivers. Meyers is good to keep around so we have another under-30 WR under control beyond next year (beyond just Harry), and Gunner because he's already a legitimate ST asset with real value in keeping Edelman from taking punt return hits, and has a lot of potential to develop into more.

Not only that, but guys like Gordon and Thomas, as big wrs, can fill a role similar to move TEs, at times.
Yup, and many of the WRs are also quality blockers in the run game. I think Watson will be a nice complementary piece when he returns, but I don't expect the TE to be used much at all this season.

So I was wrong about who actually got cut (really thought it would be a wr, but F it, let's corner the market). But I was right that Gunner stays!

Gordon should change his official position to tight end and make all-pro. He's better in every facet of the game than Travis Kelce, including blocking, and he generally is asked to do the same thing on offense.

Wait, wait...they did exactly what I expected them to do? WTH?? :confused:
Your roster predictions are always right in the ballpark, so that doesn’t surprise me in the slightest bit.

I understand going after talent, only problem with all this is we don’t need the guy. He’s an expensive josh insurance. I’ll be a believer once I see something from this guy

And that's because we need 8 WR's (including Gunner and Slater)?
Will we be at 9 WR when Harry is ready?

Gunner and Slater aren't wide receivers any more than Nate Ebner or Brandon King are safeties or Joe Cardona is a center, and Harry's at this point just a nice problem to have. If everyone's still on the roster and healthy when he's ready to go, Thomas can probably be cut loose without many tears.

I understand going after talent, only problem with all this is we don’t need the guy. He’s an expensive josh insurance. I’ll be a believer once I see something from this guy

I don't know why we got Randy Moss after we signed Stallworth to a big deal either.

Pats also released TE Stephen Anderson from the practice squad

Setting the table for Obi's return, maybe

fair enough
Belichick has decided to use a roster spot for a punt returner. This is something new.

OK, we need 3 WR's and a TE. We also need a backup WR and a backup TE. In extraordinary situations, we might have 5 WR's on the roster, with almost no reps for the #5 WR. I would never do this for more than a couple of weeks when we have 5 healthy WR's.

Edelman
Gordon
Brown
Dorsett
Thomas
Meyers

If we lose one of Gordon or Brown, we are more than fine (see last night). If we lose both, you would want to count on Meyers. I choose Thomas.

So, for me, we should be cutting Meyers or Thomas in the next 3 or 4 weeks.

Gunner and Slater aren't wide receivers any more than Nate Ebner or Brandon King are safeties or Joe Cardona is a center, and Harry's at this point just a nice problem to have. If everyone's still on the roster and healthy when he's ready to go, Thomas can probably be cut loose without many tears.

fair enough
Belichick has decided to use a roster spot for a punt returner. This is something new.

OK, we need 3 WR's and a TE. We also need a backup WR and a backup TE. In extraordinary situations, we might have 5 WR's on the roster, with almost no reps for the #5 WR. I would never do this for more than a couple of weeks when we have 5 healthy WR's.

Edelman
Gordon
Brown
Dorsett
Thomas
Meyers

If we lose one of Gordon or Brown, we are more than fine (see last night). If we lose both, you would want to count on Meyers. I choose Thomas.

So, for me, we should be cutting Meyers or Thomas in the next 3 or 4 weeks.

I like Demaryius Thomas. I like him a lot, and I think if he's over his Achilles injury then reports of his decline over the last few years were greatly exaggerated. (Seriously, he was reported as having seen his stats decline in four straight years, but that's only because - not counting last year's season with the trade and injury - he went from 111 catches to 105 to 90 to 83... not exactly the sign of a guy who's declining into obscurity.)

But it's tough because Edelman, Harry, Meredith, and Meyers (and Gunner, but let's consider it a longshot that he develops into an NFL-caliber WR though I think, like Slater, he might be around for a while just on special teams so he'll get the chance) are the only ones signed to contracts next season. Edelman's still incredibly effective but he's getting long in the tooth and they need a slot guy to pass the torch to. If they cut Meyers, they'll lose him. Meredith was really good a few years ago as a slot guy but he's been a mess, even if he's still young.

I guess it remains to be seen. I know I've gotten hyped for undrafted preseason all-stars (Bam, Tyms, Thompkins, etc.) at wide receiver who never amount to much after some initial hype. Meyers might be another of those. Or Thomas might look incredibly wobbly and totally washed-up. Or maybe they extend Gordon in a few weeks and the depth chart looks better for next year so it's not even a consideration. Usually these things work themselves out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes