PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who Would Trade For Love?

source.gif

No. I think Love is an interesting prospect who I'd entertain in the mid rounds. I wouldn't entertain a trade up for him.

Because of the investment required. The signing bonus for the #23 pick is about twice the size of Stidham's entire contract.

There are really only three possible outcomes:
  • They're drafting Love with the expectation that he'll start next year if he doesn't win the job outright this year, basically telling Stidham "you're a placeholder."
  • Love doesn't win the job, in which case they've wasted a first-round draft pick.
  • Neither works out, in which case they've wasted multiple picks.
Thank you for explaining my post much better than I would have. What he said.

I like Love and think he's the kind of quarterback you gamble on, but I wouldn't trade up for him. I think it's far more likely the Patriots trade back this year. The value is in the 30-60 area in this draft, and picking up more picks there would be nice.

I agree with this. It makes not having our second all the more painful. It was an egregious overpay.

I wouldn't trade up just because we're already short a 2nd rounder, and this team needs some young bodies, now.

I do think Love is worth a 1st rounder, but he needs to sit. I don't think sitting and watching Stidham is the best thing for his development. Not to mention, even though there has been some communication over video, I doubt its as detailed as an in person breakdown would be. Just adds another wrinkle to the risk involved.

I wouldn't be pissed if he's the pick at 23, but I do think its better used elsewhere. So I don't think trading up is the right idea.

Add some younger talent to the front 7, and in the passing game and see what Stidham has.

I think Matt Patricia and Bob Quinn may be running out of time with the Lions. They may be willing to trade 3rd pick for proven veterans. I wonder if the Patriots will trade Gilmore, Tunney + 23 for 3rd pick (for Tua) ?

I think Matt Patricia and Bob Quinn may be running out of time with the Lions. They may be willing to trade 3rd pick for proven veterans. I wonder if the Patriots will trade Gilmore, Tunney + 23 for 3rd pick (for Tua) ?
I don't know, man.

I really want to see what they have in Stidham. It looks like he's got a pretty good arm, he played well in the pre-season, his teammates and coaches say he works hard and that he's smart and he's picked up the system quickly... I mean, that's the kind of kid you want to give a chance to, right?

I don't see the sense in giving up arguably your two best players and the highest 1st round pick you've had in several years for a young QB (...let alone one with an injury history) when you've already got a young QB that you like.

I don't know, man.

I really want to see what they have in Stidham. It looks like he's got a pretty good arm, he played well in the pre-season, his teammates and coaches say he works hard and that he's smart and he's picked up the system quickly... I mean, that's the kind of kid you want to give a chance to, right?

I don't see the sense in giving up arguably your two best players and the highest 1st round pick you've had in several years for a young QB (...let alone one with an injury history) when you've already got a young QB that you like.

I’m going to have to agree. I think we see what we have with Stidham this year. I think keeping Gilmore and Thuney ( hopefully after an extension) is putting the best team around stidham and gives us the best idea of what we have with him. And worst case scenario we have a higher pick in another good draft next year.

I agree with what you are saying.

In 2018, there were reports indicating that the Patriots were willing to trade up for Baker Mayfield if the Browns didn’t take him. In this case, BB will be getting all the information on Tua from his long time trusted friend. The importance of the QB position and the quality of the information making me wonder if they will trade up.

I agree with what you are saying.

In 2018, there were reports indicating that the Patriots were willing to trade up for Baker Mayfield if the Browns didn’t take him. In this case, BB will be getting all the information on Tua from his long time trusted friend. The importance of the QB position and the quality of the information making me wonder if they will trade up.

Spoiler alert.

They won't.

would rather see Stidham compete with a late round qb than jordan love
that's not happening. A late round QB won't be worth a roster spot. Belichick would just go wth Stidham and Hoyer.

I agree with this. It makes not having our second all the more painful. It was an egregious overpay.
In 100% hindsight, we just should have not traded a 2nd for a WR and just planned to tank. NOT

that's not happening. A late round QB won't be worth a roster spot. Belichick would just go wth Stidham and Hoyer.
You might want to re-think that statement...

If Love is there at #23, I'm ok with taking him as he has a franchise arm. Looked like Phillip Rivers on film at times. Yup he had a regression year which is the only reason he's available outside of the top 10. The ceiling on Love if he puts it altogether is ridiculous. The question is can BB groom a franchise QB outside of Tom Brady? Because he hasn't really had to do it until now.

Jordan Love Is the Most Polarizing Prospect of the 2020 NFL Draft

For competition it's never bad to get one with our many late round picks.
What would you prefer?

Love is perfect for the Jets.

Didn't we keep undrafted Matt Gutierrez as a 3rd QB at one point in time? Thats going back a ways but could've swore we did.

For competition it's never bad to get one with our many late round picks.
What would you prefer?
I don't care about late round picks, especially at QB. I don't expect one to make the roster.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back