PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who was your favorite team if any BEFORE you became a Patriots fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I am sure the guys in here who grew up near and around Boston and Foxboro were almost for sure Patriots fans at birth but many if not the majority of guys and gals in here were born outside of that area and even far away from the New England States.

I was born and raised in Northeast Pennsylvania,but for some reason always HATED the Eagles but the Steelers were even more hated by me and are still today.

My very first game of watching football was actually the 1978 Clemson/Ohio State game where Woody Hayes punched away at LB Charlie Bauman and then I fell in love with the game at 14 years old since I thought 'wow! there is just as much action on the sidelines as well as on the field'!

I watched my first NFL game the next week and the Chiefs appealed to me and some of those players from the Chiefs late 70s team were very good but then I grew weary of them fast,Then I started to catch on to the Redskins for a bit afterwards in early 1979 and became a fan of the Skins for a little while mainly because of my all time favorite RB John Riggins who I still think was the best ever despite the stats saying no,but no team took my attention more than in the beginning of the 1979 season when for the first time on TV I watched the American Red,White and Blue cool looking uniforms and Pat Patriot logo of the New England Patriots and their tough QB Grogan with the huge neck roll and that massive OL Hannah who sometime took on 2 pass rushers by himself and that lightning fast WR 'Steamer' Morgan and that was it, I was hook,line and sinker and never set my sights on another team ever again.

So its been 29 years of watching this great team,my favorite and only team, who once was the laughingstock of the NFL and went through its high moments along the way as well as the bad years and I willl never look another way again whether they suck or not in the future,I will die a Pats fan .

But shying away from my LONG story on how I became a fan is the question....

If you were not originally a Patriots fan from birth,then what was your favorite NFL team or teams early in your life?

i lived in Boston when i started watching football, and i started getting interested in it...

so when I began liking football, it only took a couple of months before i found my fav team....right there at home

You aren't going to find many who had a different favorite team. But I'm one.

I moved to the country (from England) when I was 12 - moved to Cleveland so I was a DIE HARD Browns fan. Of course, that's when I first became a BelichickFan when he was there. Patriots were my second team because they were/are my wife's favorite team. Browns move, I have no team. Patriots become that by default. Belichick comes as an assistant, it's all good, I'm a Patriots fan. I have an addictive personality, it didn't take long to be locked in. Belichick goes to The Jest (damn him) but I stay with the Patriots. Belichick comes back to NE as HC and my circle connecting the Browns years and my new team, the Patriots is complete.

In 1999 when the Browns returned I tried to be a fan of both teams but it wasn't there - it was, and is, all Patriots all the time.

In chronological order:
The Giants, then Pittsburgh.
When I found out Ma had a team the Patriots in 1974 They became the team to watch.

I had my faves...the Colts and the Browns...the Browns because of the best football player ever...Jim Brown...and teh Colts, because of their open offense of Unitas, Berry et all...the team I hated?? The New York Football Giants..still hate them...even more...the Patriots?? That was ALL pre-Patriots...

Grew up in Baltimore, parents were season ticket holders for the Colts from the 1st day. The Colts were my favorite team until that snowy night in March, when Irsay and Mayflower moved the team away. I never rooted for or watched them again, unless, of course when they were playing the team I was rooting for. Moved to New Hampshire in '86 and became an instant Pats fan. I have moved several times since then, to New York, New Jersey and back to Maryland, but I have maintained my Pats loyalty.

I followed the Giants until the Patriots came into existance.

Similar story to the OP, I grew up in Central PA and have always hated the Steelers and the Pirates. I think I mostly did it to tick off my Grandpap. So I became a Bills and Mets fan. Through all the Bills SB loses I became very sick of watching them, I was looking for a new team and saw this rookie QB named Bledsoe rip through Miami on the last day of his rookie season. After that they became my team to watch.

I was born and raised in Central VA so there was no other team to watch on a weekly basis besides the Redskins, so naturally I followed them. Remember this is before the media/internet explosion so the only sportscasters I knew were local guys who only talked Redskins. Then we picked up satellite and the Sunday Ticket package and I started watching the Pats toward the end of the '93 season. They seemed like a good choice - nobody I knew was a Pats fan, everybody was hooked on the Cowboys/Redskins/Steelers.

The Boston Celtics & Bill Russell were my favs.
Before the Patriots existed, I followed the Cleveland Browns. They and the hated NY Giants were shown on the Boston TV market.

No football in the womb, so I routed for no team before the Patriots.

I grew up as a Bills fan, then a Raiders fan 1966-1979, then a patriots fan in 1979

and a dolphins hater for all that time

Last edited:
Seattle Seahawks - then the playoff run in 1986 and the AFC championship game against the Dolphins. My brother in law was/is a huge Dolphins fan so I naturally had to go against him and -boom- I have been a fan ever since.

I grew up not an NFL fan in particular, since there was no NFL team nearby (Indana BEFORE the Colts). I sort of followed the Bengals, but then I moved to Massachusetts in the 90s.

The Bengals were so bad for so long, never on TV and never even on the highlights (pre direct TV) so I lost interest, and gradually I became a Patriots fan after Parcells came.

I moved away fro MA, but I remain a Pats fan and I will stay that way.

I grew up in South Florida and my dad is the biggest, most die hard Dolphin fan ever. It actually gets really heated when the Pats and Fish play (which is why we can never watch the games together anymore). Growing up, I watched a lot of the Fins but never really caught on to them. I always liked the Pats because, while I was raised in FLA, I was born in Boston and had always been a Red Sox fan. Rooting for the Pats was only natural. Besides, I was 10 at the time and the Pats uniforms looked a lot better than the Fins, so I guess that helped a bit. :rocker:

When I was 8 I was Dolphin fan. Super Bowl VIII, my brother was a Vikings fan and I wanted to pi$$ him off.

I grew up in South Florida, so I kinda just adopted the Dolphins. I had a back pack and an old Damn Marino poster, but as a fan? I've only ever followed the Patriots. Ever since I've comprehended the game I was a Pats fan, but I claimed the Dolphins as my team before..Does that count?

I grew up in Ohio. When I was in school, I LOVED the Bengals. In '89, they lost the SuperBowl to the 49ers.

I was so heart-broken, that I COMPLETELY stopped watching pro-football and turned to NCAA for the next 17 years (Go Buckeyes).

Since leaving Ohio, I lived in NYC for four years, NJ one year, then got married and moved to New England in '06.

My inlaws are from NY/NJ and they're avid Giants fans. Some of them were such fan-atics that it was annoying, so I started rootin' hard for my new hometeam (the Patriots) just two years ago.

Now I can't show my face at family gatherings (unless I'm wearing a brown paper bag over my head). G-DAMNIT! :(

I grew up in Ohio. When I was in school, I LOVED the Bengals. In '89, they lost the SuperBowl to the 49ers.

I was so heart-broken, that I COMPLETELY stopped watching pro-football and turned to NCAA for the next 17 years (Go Buckeyes).

Since leaving Ohio, I lived in NYC for four years, NJ one year, then got married and moved to New England in '06.

My inlaws are from NY/NJ and they're avid Giants fans. Some of them were such fan-atics that it was annoying, so I started rootin' hard for my new hometeam (the Patriots) just two years ago.

Now I can't show my face at family gatherings (unless I'm wearing a brown paper bag over my head). G-DAMNIT! :(

Ouch. I bet you get "frontrunner" thrown in your face a lot huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots